Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!) - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!)

Comments

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@MCHPhil said:

Then why do you offer ? Even when providers say they aren't responsible they have atleast minimum courtesy that " If a client trusts me I should be reliable" but you're quite the opposite to that. Not all clients can afford backups or do have the time, they rely on provider even if its LET. Keep aside raid levels couldn't you just get another ovh data node and backup the existing node over network ? Is that too tough or too costly? Seriously you lack dignity in what you do.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

MCHPhil said: Once again, where does it say that I offer backups for KVM VPS? It does not and has not in a while. Yes there were some instances were it was not clear. I have explained that twice in this thread. I'm not here to lie.

And like I said I was not the one who brought it up, I never really stated anything as fact it was all based on assumptions from available information, it was you who said you use an SSD cache and the most likely explanation for data loss through a cache is to run a write back cache, apparently that is not the case that was all you needed to say.

I am welcome to state my opinion, I don't need your permission for that.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

comXyz said: Are you comparing an unmanaged VPS with the managed one?

/sarcasm

• @MCHPhil i think most people didn't expect to be on a RAID 1 system or so, they just didn't expect to be on such a fragile system that loosing ANY of the n (>=3) disks would render all data unusable.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @MCHPhil has always been open about his node setup & you can easily know it if you go through his different offer threads. I've neither been his or any other LET provider's customer but when I wanted to setup ssd caching just for the purpose of testing on one of my OVH dedicated servers, I sent a private message to Phil to know what his secret sauce is since according to the feedback of users here his ssd cached vps had much better performance than others & I wanted to use it to improve performance of my server which had a hybrid hard raid setup. To my surprise, he hardly showed any hesitation & provided me the sourceforce link of the the module. This is just one example because of which I was really impressed. He is not afraid to say things here in the open but prefers to discuss things in private messages.

I would call it his laziness for not updating his website to reflect he doesn't backup servers but people keep in mind he providers a budget service & that people should backup their data themselves even if they are with a provider who offers backups. I am pretty sure he will learn from this & take all necessary measures to prevent an outage of this magnitude in the future.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • fametel said: @MCHPhil has always been open about his node setup & you can easily know it if you go through his different offer threads.

No, the offer threads only say "SSD Cached". To a reasonable person that does not mean RAID 0 + fragile SSD.

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • HostNunHostNun Member

@BharatB said:
    In the provider's case here he is relying on OVH who fail to replace hardware once it fails for 1 ~ 2 weeks sometimes.

What the?

@MCHPhil said:
    OVH replaced my disk for me in a matter of hour or 2.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@HostNun said:
    What the?

Previous experience :D one of my friends had idk if it was with sys or ovh exactly.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I did not say your service was subpar, I said it is irresponsible and I still hold to that, you are really reading far to much in to this, and to be honest I did not even know who you were until this thread started, @MSPNick can verify this as I asked him on skype if he was insane for using Raid 0 and then asked if he needed any help before you even replied to this thread because I thought he was you haha.

In fact, @AnthonySmith has helped SavvyReady and many other providers building a stable system, in our case, the SSD Cached setup which wouldn't have been possible without his help.

Anthony has my full respect towards him.
    He was SIMPLY adivising you.

Thanked by 1BharatB
    edited May 2015

@mpkossen said:
    I don't expect you to change your business model. But I do know that after this situation I will not consider your services for production systems again until something changes. I was probably badly informed (as in: I probably didn't read your website well enough), but I did expect my node to survive a reboot and to have been on a system with at least RAID1.

This opinion states the final marks, about your company, Phil.
    Never rely on raid 0, that's super irresponsible.

• J1021J1021 Member

"LET: where you can go from hero to zero in the space of a single thread" - Nekki

• HostNunHostNun Member

Has the vulture contingent arrived? Psst, it's not dead, move along.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@HostNun said:
    Has the vulture contingent arrived? Psst, it's not dead, move along.

You're so delightfully odd.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited May 2015

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    No, the offer threads only say "SSD Cached". To a reasonable person that does not mean RAID 0 + fragile SSD.

What I meant to say was that whenever someone asks in his offer threads about his RAID setup he simply says RAID 0 without beating around the bush. It is not just Phil or hosting business even, it happens everywhere that you are only told those things about a product which you are most likely to attract you & make you appreciate & not those which could make you stay away from it. For example when you go to buy a TV, the salesman will only tell you about the crystal clear picture quality, recording capability & how that particular model is ahead of its competing models of other companies without telling you watching it could be unhealthy for your eyes & it consumes more electricity. Same goes for the their TV & newspaper ads. Similarly hosting is also a business activity run by humans, so they just follow what others are doing. As he himself said he competes on performance combined with low pricing rather than redundancy & safety. If he has to include features like RAID 10 & a good backup system, he won't be able to offer plans like 7$ for 4 GB KVM. There are many hosts on this forum who lie about their RAID setups when asked but at least Phil has always been honest about it.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

BharatB said: Not all clients can afford backups or do have the time, they rely on provider even if its LET.

I think this is not a good mentality. Every client should have their own backup and don't just rely on host even for big name providers.

MCHPhil said: This still does not excuse a client from taking their own backups. Even if a provider says they are, what happens if they are not or have an issue with them? Who knows the last time they tested they could even restore the backups? There is a lot that goes into backups. Not just set and forget.

agree 100%

MCHPhil said: I'm sorry I won't change my business model to be more in line with what you want or expect or whatever.

unfortunantely, majority of clients here are sysads or technical people. I am thinking it would be hard to sell in the future knowing your setup

Thanked by 2vimalware MikePT
  • I'll take the $7/4gb ram over integrated backups any day.
    I could really use another budget KVM provider in BHS to failover/replicate to, in case of vps-provider-specific hiccups.

"Plan to fail and fail FAST" :
    The same technical advice as if you were building out on AWS ec2 ephemeral storage instances.
    #lowEndCloud

Even one's Storage Vps/VM should be replicated/rsynced to another DC.

Thanked by 2FrankZ lazyt
  • rokokrokok Member

Thank god im LET user :)

business_model.jpg

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited May 2015

I really agree with what @vimalware said and hope that MCHPhil does not change a thing.

vimalware said: I'll take the $7/4gb ram over integrated backups any day.

I could really use another budget KVM provider in BHS to failover/replicate to, in case of vps-provider-specific hiccups.

"Plan to fail and fail FAST" :

The same technical advice as if you were building out on AWS ec2 ephemeral storage instances.
    lowEndCloud

Even one's Storage Vps/VM should be replicated/rsynced to another DC.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

Runabove sandbox is $5 for 4GB of ram in OVH BHS.

KVM +SSD Raid

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2015

I think that it is time to say to your customers what disk setup are you using ?

Here is ours:
    SugarVPS 4xspinning drive raid10 + hwraid + bbu cache
    Abusive cores 2x1 spinning drive raid1 with hwraid card and bbu cache
    Abusive cores ssd 2x1 ssd drive raid1 with hwraid card and bbu cache
    Byteshack 6xssd in raid 10 + hwraid card and bbu cache
    Ninjas 6xssd in raid 10 + hwraid card and bbu cache
    Xenstorage 4,6, or 8 spinning drives in raid 6 + hwraid cache + 4xssd in raid 10 for ssd cache

Hitleap crapy servers 2xssd sw raid0 or 4xssd swraid 10 custom configurations based on client needs. Not advertised and not publicly sold.
    Web hosting servers 4xspinning + 2xssd for caching sw raid ( ssd caching over enhanceio)

All my staff can confirm this, all my providers can confirm this.

Now guys, post yours, lets see who is doing crappy disk setup.
    This should not be secret so i invite 1st @MCHPhil to post his hybrid setup. This will clear this whole situation...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

Ok I will bite, only fair given the comments I made/opinions expressed:

UK XEN: HW Raid 10 - 8 SAS Disks+ BBU/Cache 
    NL XEN: HW Raid 10 - 10 SATA Disks + 2x SSD +BBU/Cache 
    MIAMI XEN: Mix of mdadm Raid 10 - 8 x SATA Disks and HW Raid 10 - 8 SATA Disks+ BBU/Cache
    MIAMI OpenVZ: HW Raid 10 - 8 SATA Disks+ BBU/Cache
    Phoenix Xen: 4 x spinning disk Raid 10 mdadm
    LowEndSpirit: Complete mix to many to mention but from single disk to SSD cached.
    LittleHappyCloud (LES KVM): Raid 1 SSD cached.

Edit: I put old NL node specs down, and forgot all about Phoenix :p updated :)

• @BharatB time to change the backup plan! monthly to weekly

edited May 2015

SavvyReady specifications:

WebHosting Server (UK1)

4x2TB HDD + 256GB SSD (SSD Cache purposes)

USA KVM (USA KVM1)

4x2TB HDD + 250GB SSD (SSD Cache purposes)

Thanked by 2drserver howardsl2
  • tdaletdale Member

KVM SSD
    4, 6, 8 SSDs HWR 10 w/ BBU

Also, for providers:

Don't lie. Don't brag about your specs unless it's true.

• J1021J1021 Member

MrGeneral said: Don't lie. Don't brag about your specs unless it's true.

Yah, this advertising turf is already claimed.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • kcaj said: Don't lie. Don't brag about your specs unless it's true.

So you're not going to believe it if I say Lowend VPS are 100% powered by Micropolis 1325 ;)

@MarkTurner said:
    So you're not going to believe it if I say Lowend VPS are 100% powered by Micropolis 1325 ;)

That's not it... Just thought that we'll see many providers sharing their specs, which may not be true :P

• edited May 2015

Perhaps i missed it but how would you know, based on the offer linked below, that the VM you get is running a Raid0 configuration?

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/51810/my-custom-hosting-canada-kvm-premium-ddos-protection-native-ipv6-e5-s-ssd-cached-no-bs#latest

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

you would have to go back to previous offers --- I suppose RAID0 is a unique feature Phil is offering so he should include that detail in every offer thread.

This discussion has been closed.