Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!) - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!)

Comments

• coolicecoolice Member

@FrankZ said:

>

they have option BHS, RBX, GRA SBG
    +
    4x 800GB SSD Intel S3K SATA3 6Gbps MegaRAID LSI 9271-4i FastPath €105.00 /month

10 Days Setup on all OVH serverver

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • gonggogonggo Member

@JackG said:
    Anyone have the link to login to the VM panel? I'm away from my regular PC and forget the address.

https://noc.mycustomhosting.net:5656/

Thanked by 1Silvenga
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member

ricardo said: You must have a short TTL for it to be an effective change within minutes. Apparently not all DNS servers would honour such a small TTL.

Cloudflare would do. Or any external dns service. Cloudflare is free, reliable and if you don't like cdn features, you can just use their dns service. Any changes I do there, when I'm switching servers, are working in seconds.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited May 2015

@JackG Anyone have the link to login to the VM panel?

https://noc.mycustomhosting.net:5656/login.php

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

comXyz said: If I know it's RAID 0, I will never sign up.

They do not have to print it in bold big letters. No business would advertize on top of the good aspects, what they lack of. But, If you buy an unmanaged server, you should search the specs of the product and decide if it fits to you. And MCH does describe his nodes setup, and has been answered here to several threads about the configuration of his servers stating that he uses raid0.
    Remember, catastrophic scenarios could appear even with raid 10 or more. And if the product is cheap, it is normal that the provider will not keep backups, to reduce the cost.
    From my experience, MCH vps is fast, with good connectivity and the support is good, also. He is not overfilling his servers (at least, the performance of my vm was very good) and I can live without raid 10 if i know it and have my backups.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2015

jvnadr said: ricardo said: You must have a short TTL for it to be an effective change within minutes. Apparently not all DNS servers would honour such a small TTL.

Cloudflare would do. Or any external dns service. Cloudflare is free, reliable and if you don't like cdn features, you can just use their dns service. Any changes I do there, when I'm switching servers, are working in seconds.

Yes, your authority DNS server will naturally return whatever you have set, if you query it directly. DNS servers in between your nameserver and the client will cache results though. Using cloudflare is useful because your DNS A records are pointing to their IP anyway, the wider Internet doesn't need to be aware of any changes you do behind Cloudflare. It's not exactly the most compelling reason to use a 3rd party CDN service though.

• wlanboywlanboy Member

Cloudflare Error 523 - Website is offline.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

ricardo said: It's not exactly the most compelling reason to use a 3rd party CDN service though

There are a lot of reasons. But I found this one as a good one. I also use cloudflare as round-robin A record method and/or ipv6>ipv4 translator for NAT vm's.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

jvnadr said: MCH does describe his nodes setup, and has been answered here to several threads about the configuration of his servers stating that he uses raid0.

Remember, catastrophic scenarios could appear even with raid 10 or more

Its great that he has been up front about that but did he also say he had a write back cache in front of the raid 0? because that is pretty much the same as running your VPS in ram, a power cut or sudden hang or a buggy reboot and its gone!

You make fair points but I think it is important for people to realize there is a huge difference between just raid 0 and raid 0 + SSD based write back cache.

There was no reason I can think of to run the host OS through the cache as well also if he had not done that all he would have had to do was boot, take 10 minutes to realize all VPS data was gone, replace the SSD and recreate the VPS's.

But you learn from your mistakes I suppose so hopefully this will be a lesson that will make it stronger or put in place a recovery plan for the next node that kernel panics and loses everyone's data.

Thanked by 3jvnadr alexvolk agonyzt
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

ricardo said: You must have a short TTL for it to be an effective change within minutes. Apparently not all DNS servers would honour such a small TTL.

century1stop said: minutes? that long?

TTL of 600.

It's audio streaming for a community radio station that does a localized FM broadcast every day 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM. They've been doing it for about 30 years, I helped them put it online for the first time last summer on a 512MB KVM from MVH for $18/year.

Launched it in the summer, everything has worked perfectly since. Yesterday, the station went off-air at 4:30 PM. I got a server-down alert at 5:17 PM. I checked on the replica server and some config backups I'd made, then left it until this morning. At 8:00 AM I changed DNS to the replica, and at 1:00 PM the show went online as usual. Around 10-11 AM I rebuilt on a new KVM with phil, as a spare....

Thanked by 2vimalware TheHackBox
  • wlanboywlanboy Member

Cannot log into the vps. Changing password through solus does not work.
    VNC does not work too...

• hmm title change MyCustomHosting "UP"?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

AnthonySmith said: You make fair points but I think it is important for people to realize there is a huge difference between just raid 0 and raid 0 + SSD based write back cache.

I'm not to deep in technical specs, but I can understand that using ssd based write back cache could lead to a destroy.
    My arguments had to do only on the part of using just raid0 setup and not raid10. Of course, even if MCH has no real responsibility of losing all his client's data on the affected nodes and that any user of a cheap machine should have his own backups / imeddiate recovery scenarios, Phil should have a similar scenario not because he is obligated to do, but because situations like this do harm his bussiness.
    This thread (and similar in other forums) will stay and every potential client that is searching for reviews will see what happened and will put this in mind when taking the decision to buy or not...
    So, from a provider's perspective, he should now be as more transparent as he can and plan some more reliable plans to deal with future disaster scenarios.

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited May 2015

@century1stop said:
    hmm title change MyCustomHosting "UP"?

I think it's not "UP" for everybody, so I adjusted the thread title in consequence.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

jvnadr said: So, from a provider's perspective, he should now be as more transparent as he can and plan some more reliable plans to deal with future disaster scenarios.

If he stopped taking backups, he probably shouldn't write on his website:

We take nightly off-site backups of your data. If there is ever a problem we can restore your backups within a blink of an eye. Our backups are duplicated in multiple locations to provide the utmost data security.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

perennate said: If he stopped taking backups, he probably shouldn't write on his website:

Hmmm, didn't noticed that... I agree with you, he should take multiple backups as he says in the first page on his website... And it is not good that he says other things in TOS and in his first page...
    Maybe it depends on who is blinking his eyes...

• brgsbrgs Member
    edited May 2015

@perennate said:

We take nightly off-site backups of your data. If there is ever a problem we can restore your backups within a blink of an eye. Our backups are duplicated in multiple locations to provide the utmost data security.

So that's all false advertising if everything is lost ? Kind of bad.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

brgs said: So that's all false advertising if everything is lost ? Kind of bad.

If I understand correctly, they used to take nightly backups but these started becoming a problem and so they stopped, but they neglected to update the website.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

perennate said: If I understand correctly, they used to take nightly backups but these started becoming a problem and so they stopped, but they neglected to update the website.

Yes, if I recall well, Phil said that due to solusvm issues he stopped taking backups. But he should remove this from the first page of his site.

• xaitmixaitmi Member

Waiting for shared hosting to come back online so I can move one of my sites. :(

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@xaitmi said:
    Waiting for shared hosting to come back online so I can move one of my sites. :(

well you might be waiting a while if he lost the data and has no backups?

• joereidjoereid Member

Phil said he has the data from the shared hosting server. Just kvm nodes 2 and 3 are toast.

• xaitmixaitmi Member

looks like cpanel server is back online but my login does not work, all sites are gone too lol. i hope he is going to restore everyones accounts from the backups he says he has.

• DroidDroid Member

Will any credit be issued for this downtime?

• goglegogle Member

after reading comments. i am already move on another provider. never use this provider again. too many risk for your website. Phil have lost at least 12 vps from me and my friends.

• sygwsygw Member
    edited May 2015

"F" Grade to this provider!!!!!

Email from mycustomhosting says "I do not provide customer backups at this time due to issues experienced prior with SolusVM's backup system."

Sounds like my company was using my kid's high school laptop to host a website.

Never again will fall for things "cheap"

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited May 2015

Been 5 hours since the cPanel server is back online, reseller credentials still invalid and websites have not yet been restored. :(

By the looks of it, it looks like a fresh install of cPanel. No client data restored yet.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • comXyzcomXyz Member

@jvnadr so you mean before buying something on a website, I have to go around on other websites and forums to search and see how things setup? What a joke!

This discussion has been closed.