Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!) - Page 7
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MyCustomHosting Down ? (Resolved. Issues? Open a ticket first!)

Comments

• just need one time, you lost every thing. data back to old days

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@antiycda said:
    just need one time, you lost every thing. data back to old days

I think you learned your lesson cheap is great as long as you don't become the bait !

Thanked by 1antiycda
  • sleddogsleddog Member
    edited May 2015

I'm seriously disappointed that LET refuses to honour the original poster's request and close this thread. The thread has long run its course and the OP has asked for it to be closed.

Please respect the wishes of the OP and close it. This is basic forum etiquette.

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited May 2015

@sleddog said:
    I'm seriously disappointed that LET refuses to honour the original poster's request and close this thread. The thread has long run its course and the OP has asked for it to be closed.

It's not only OP was affected, so closing this thread will be equal to creating new one.

I'm very disappointed that some users trying to close this thread, it should be open until people having some issues with this provider and not when OP wants.

Thanked by 1J1021
  • sleddogsleddog Member

alexvolk said: 'm very disappointed that some users trying to close this thread

I am not "trying to close this thread". I am trying to get the expressed request by the OP @FredQc respected.

It's a bigger issue than just this thread. Anyone who starts a thread has the right to request that the thread be closed. And unless there is a damn good reason not to, then the administrators/moderators should respect that wish.

The OP has made the request, but mods have ignored it. The issue which the thread originally addressed has been resolved. Anyone with current issues with this provider should use the provider's helpdesk. LET is not any provider's helpdesk.

This is all I have to say on it. And I'll not be starting another thread on this forum until LET clarifies their policy regarding OP rights.

• J1021J1021 Member

sleddog said: And I'll not be starting another thread on this forum until LET clarifies their policy regarding OP rights.

Shittt. Somebody get this resolved immediately.

• My KVM was re-installed and re-deployed in minutes. 1month service credits added.

I believe Phil provided best-effort service with his constraints and pricing.

I am now preparing for 100% immutable deployments everywhere. Hardly any OpenVZ VMs in my mix except Wable(special exemption)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@sleddog said:

Please respect the wishes of the OP and close it. This is basic forum etiquette.

This was not an isolated event, it affected many users that are clients to MycustomHosting and instead of creating multiple threads with the same information being repeated the decision was made to leave it open.
    We (as a team) are not here to follow every request made by the forum users.

Eventually when everything is working as it did before the event the threads tend to cool down and fade away.

When the request for closing was posted there were still posts being made about issues remaining.
    Closing this thread would probably mean that other, new threads would be posted in its place.

When all this blows over, closing the thread will be reconsidered.

• sleddog said: Anyone who starts a thread has the right to request that the thread be closed.

Where do you get that right from? Is it in the LET ToS?

• @BharatB said:
    MyCustomDisaster !!

I see your point here. When you're failing here some members (@drserver) try to help you, but when others are failing you come and post some sh*t.

@sleddog said:
    I am not "trying to close this thread". I am trying to get the expressed request by the OP @FredQc respected.

You're trying, this is not the first time when you asked to respect @FredQc wish to close this thread.

Sometimes OP's not interested in thread but a lot of other users contributed (reported same issues) so I don't see how @FredQc has rights and others doesn't ?

Thanked by 3Mark_R MikePT vimalware

@alexvolk said:

No offense intended ! As for my fails they were never concerned to my services though I fail to interact I never go with thin provisioning to fail so miserably. I don't usually oversell stuff to a point where I can't even rely on a reboot of the whole node. Sorry but my quality remains intact whether its a premium or LET customer.

When they pay you even a $ and trust you with their data as a provider you should take full responsibility for them. Not just saying " I dont take backups on KVM " which is not worth the risk for even the customer.

I've been with one or 2 providers whose names I may not disclose since I signed an NDA advertise HW RAID-10 , instead rely on SW RAID-5 which is strictly not business ethics.

In the provider's case here he is relying on OVH who fail to replace hardware once it fails for 1 ~ 2 weeks sometimes. I mean for game servers / hosting yea they're good but for KVM or serious business I would never consider OVH servers.

Many people here want to earn a buck thats why they fail. You mentioned drserver here while a few including him are different whether its LET or any other place whether he gets even a god damn 0.01 cents profit or loss of $100 they never compromise their customer's satisfaction.

I don't know what you meant by FAIL because this is an entirely different level of FAIL in a field where I haven't fail even once and I don't intend to.

Have a great day.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited May 2015

@BharatB said:
    Have a great day.

I'd suggest reading the entire thread. I do not use thin provisioning. lol.

And OVH replaced my disk for me in a matter of hour or 2.

I also do not advertise raid 10 or raid anything. I do not use raid for redundancy, I bet half the host here use it for backups. I use raid for performance, just like the SSD cache. Performance.

@MCHPhil said:
    And OVH replaced my disk for me in a matter of hour or 2.

Lucky you , well in the IRC they were mentioning that so maybe its a false accusation.

• @MCHPhil has been around for awhile so I think it's safe to say he's in it not just for money (obviously he wants to make money) but because he enjoys doing the business. The events of the last few days were pretty catastrophic--multiple servers completely failing. Yet Phil had services restored within a couple days. And he did it properly: getting client machines up and running before restoring things like the billing system. When it was all over he gave a one month credit for a couple days of downtime, which is good compensation even if one considers the time to restore from their own backup.

If anything, this incident shows the commitment Phil has to keep things going. It's not a pleasant experience when one's stuff breaks, but everyone needs to consider the price they're paying... Some of his VPSs go for as low as $1.50/month ($18.00/year). That's barely the price of a cup of coffee.

Thanked by 2perennate mpkossen
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited May 2015

@BharatB said:
    Lucky you , well in the IRC they were mentioning that so maybe its a false accusation.

Very much so, led by @anthonysmith. He does not think I should be in the industry and wants me out. It's clear, he feels that my service is subpar, that is OK. I do not care. The rumors he is spreading is just BS though. I tried to show him otherwise and will do so for anyone who wants to see / know.

Just send me a PM.

Thanked by 1switsys
  • Also, I think this thread has run its course and I vote to close it.

@MCHPhil

Could you let me know, here or in PM if there are any outstanding issues and I'll update the thread title accordingly.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member

@mikho said:
    MCHPhil

Could you let me know, here or in PM if there are any outstanding issues and I'll update the thread title accordingly.

Currently all tickets are responded to, I think there are 2-3 one off issues. Mainly related to missing ISO's and I am working through those as I am informed. All nodes are online. Healthy. Billing system is functioning, I have not run the daily cron since the downtime and plan to tomorrow. I want to make sure everyone has time to get anything situated, credits applied if need be.

If anyone has an issue, definitely the best way to get it handled it via the billing system at this time. I am here.

Oh internal IP's will be resetup at a later date, this week. There was very little usage, I think 1 node had a few people utilizing them.

@MCHPhil
    Thank you, I will update the thread title and this can be put behind us.

@ya_
    This is your first and last warning, do NOT post any more off-topic posts.

@MCHPhil said:

Um I meant LET IRC and it wasn't AS who spread it.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member

@BharatB said:

People will gossip, AS started it in this thread. Again, if anyone would like any proof I do not mind providing it. It's an assumption that turned out to be invalid, just like this write back cache that I do not use.

@ya_ said:

Thats when I thought I didnt need ddos protection , because I was still new who would want to ddos me ? Think before you mind my business.

@MCHPhil said:

Seems to be completely contrary to what I've heard , so I guess you didn't deserve that. I honestly apologize.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2015

MCHPhil said: Very much so, led by @anthonysmith. He does not think I should be in the industry and wants me out. It's clear, he feels that my service is subpar

You know that is not true, your just lashing out.

I have suggested and continue to hold the opinion that using a striped volume over 2 disks and then putting a cache in front of it is asking for trouble, and it is irresponsible.

I was wrong about your specific setup however my assumptions in terms of the way data is stored in the context of redundancy are not wrong you said that here and I did not disagree or continue to push it after that, seems like I am just the focal point of your rage because your nodes cant survive a bad reboot.

Yes you never said you do provide redundancy but that in itself is a pretty weak thing to fall back on, you say there is no official standard, well perhaps but there is a 'fair' expectation given that 98%+ of the hosts do offer it.

As I told you a number of my own nodes also hung after this update and needed a cold reboot, the fact that yours hung is not the issue, it happens to us all.

I really don't get why you are focusing on me so much, I did not bring raid 0 up first, I did not bring up the fact that you advertise nightly backups but actually don't do them, I was not the one that said your cache failed.

The ABSOLUTE BOTTOM LINE HERE is that your servers died because you set them up with no redundancy, and in a manner that is high performance at the cost of a high risk of failure, no one forced you to do this, raid is NOT a backup system, no one disputes that.

I did not say your service was subpar, I said it is irresponsible and I still hold to that, you are really reading far to much in to this, and to be honest I did not even know who you were until this thread started, @MSPNick can verify this as I asked him on skype if he was insane for using Raid 0 and then asked if he needed any help before you even replied to this thread because I thought he was you haha.

I expressed my opinion, I was actually told on IRC that you use thin provisioning (I am not the first to have read this clearly) and frankly with the manner in which your service failed that would have made perfect sense.

I am no stranger to hardware failures, I know these situations are terrible to deal with so in hind sight I should have kept my nose out of it and for that I apologize but i will not be the target of your childish deflections.

The difference between my own hardware failures over the last 5 years and yours is that I can honestly say I did everything I could in terms of redundancy and recovery and as such a handful of VPS's have ever been rendered unbootable but all data was easy to recover, my prices are not that different to your either and my density is pretty much guaranteed to be lower on Xen so price is no real factor in this.

You don't have to agree with me, you don't have to do anything but you do have to accept that this is a forum, people share opinions every 30 seconds, I accept that they are not all right and I have made some mistakes but don't make me out to be the villain you are just making a fool of yourself, I did not cause this, I am in no way responsible for this, I simply hold to the opinion that a striped only volume with a cache in front is not fir for production even if the individual components are.

If 3 other hosts tell me I am wrong and this is perfectly acceptable standard then I will reconsider my opinion.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

@jvnadr said:
    For all of you that blaming MCH because he does not have backups and he had a disaster in his setup.
    There is a better alternative out there, that guarantee that always there will be backups.

https://www.knownhost.com/managed-ssd-vps-packages.html

The equal to MCH's pachage of 5$ per month is just 35$ per month. So, change provider now.

Are you comparing an unmanaged VPS with the managed one?

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited May 2015

AnthonySmith said: The difference between my own hardware failures over the last 5 years and yours is that I can honestly say I did everything I could in terms of redundancy and recovery and as such a handful of VPS's have ever been rendered unbootable but all data was easy to recover.

That is what you offer. I do not offer that and I do not pretend to. As I have stated MULTIPLE times I offer a VERY budget service. I'm sorry you don't agree to it, but the market is there.

I'm sorry I won't change my business model to be more in line with what you want or expect or whatever.

Haters will hate, do you believe everything everyone tells you?

Pricing is going to be a LOT different also. Your overhead is a lot lower than mine is, guaranteed. OVH has a bit of overhead, considering I RENT the servers.

AnthonySmith said: I did not bring up the fact that you advertise nightly backups but actually don't do them,

Once again, where does it say that I offer backups for KVM VPS? It does not and has not in a while. Yes there were some instances were it was not clear. I have explained that twice in this thread. I'm not here to lie.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

I think if Phil stated the measures he has put in place to stop this from happening in the future (if any) that it would be a good thread closer.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member

AnthonySmith said: I did not say your service was subpar, I said it is irresponsible and I still hold to that, you are really reading far to much in to this, and to be honest I did not even know who you were until this thread started, @MSPNick can verify this as I asked him on skype if he was insane for using Raid 0 and then asked if he needed any help before you even replied to this thread because I thought he was you haha.

Yup this is true, he offered help got mistaken for me. To which, I replied that I am insane :-)

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith BharatB
  • @MCHPhil said:

I don't expect you to change your business model. But I do know that after this situation I will not consider your services for production systems again until something changes. I was probably badly informed (as in: I probably didn't read your website well enough), but I did expect my node to survive a reboot and to have been on a system with at least RAID1.

Thanked by 2BharatB MikePT
  • MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited May 2015

@JoeMerit said:
    I think if Phil stated the measures he has put in place to stop this from happening in the future (if any) that it would be a good thread closer.

I have removed the host node from the cache. **This will not help with customer data. ** It will allow me to facilitate restoration faster if the SSD cache went south again. At these prices it will remain the clients responsibility to facilitate backups.

Again, anyone who has restored a node from a SolusVM backup will be able to attest to the time it takes. It's not worth it, if you want to minimize downtime. A week of downtime is not acceptable. SolusVM has claimed to be redoing the backup system, at which time I will re-evaluate it and may offer it as an addon or otherwise. Let's be honest, there is not much in these current pricing for providing backup free.

The other alternative backup solution is from bacula4hosts. It is not automatic and costs $3 per VM.

This still does not excuse a client from taking their own backups. Even if a provider says they are, what happens if they are not or have an issue with them? Who knows the last time they tested they could even restore the backups? There is a lot that goes into backups. Not just set and forget.

I have found a few clues to the issue with the hang itself, but it's a PITA to really test. It does relate to KVM VM's and bridge networks causing a reboot / shutdown hang. This change was applied.

@mpkossen said:
    I don't expect you to change your business model. But I do know that after this situation I will not consider your services for production systems again until something changes. I was probably badly informed (as in: I probably didn't read your website well enough), but I did expect my node to survive a reboot and to have been on a system with at least RAID1.

I fully respect that and am sorry for the part I played in causing the confusion.

This discussion has been closed.