Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp

Comments

• OnApp_Terry said: There's been a few additional improvements around user roles/RBAC, security, and end-user VM management as well.

I just want to say that, in light of all the vitriol directed at @OnApp_Terry 's product, I have yet to see anyone on here (other than @Francisco with her adorable Stalin Control Panel) release a workable alternative and definitely not @AnthonySmith

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jiggawattz said: release a workable alternative and definitely not @AnthonySmith

Virtualizor.

I am not a dev, Fran is, it's a very rare mix to get both skill sets to a high enough level where by you can achieve what Fran has, that's one of the reasons for his success.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ mikho
  • @AnthonySmith said: relaunch

GVH did try to relaunch actually. Surprisingly, they beat SVM2.

• jhjh Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    Would you rather have odd colours or a KVM template system that has been broken for 8 months that was only acknowledged 24 hours ago, or a system that leaves deleted/terminated/canceled VM's running and publicly acknowledge that they don't feel it is very important?

I agree. I'm just surprised Virtualizor don't want to hire a good frontend developer to make it a really polished product.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2017

jh said: I agree. I'm just surprised Virtualizor don't want to hire a good frontend developer to make it a really polished product.

The end user front end is pretty nice, it was nice enough for OnApp to rip it off in their own end user demo for solusvm v2 even down to the map placements haha. (more interesting that it contained near enough identical bugs and they decided to delay again and rewrite after they were found)

I think the issue is that they have tried to use the same admin UI on all of their products and it fits virtualizor least of all, virtualizor being by far their smallest revenue I would imagine so it has not been a priority.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@doghouch said:

@AnthonySmith said: relaunch

GVH did try to relaunch actually. Surprisingly, they beat SVM2.

Wait another couple months with black friday coming up.

Francisco

Thanked by 1WSS
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@jh said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    Would you rather have odd colours or a KVM template system that has been broken for 8 months that was only acknowledged 24 hours ago, or a system that leaves deleted/terminated/canceled VM's running and publicly acknowledge that they don't feel it is very important?

I agree. I'm just surprised Virtualizor don't want to hire a good frontend developer to make it a really polished product.

the WHMCS module is not encoded and that is the only thing the enduser will ever see (if done right).

If someone is up for making a better ui then I'm up for putting some money your way.
    Draw a mockup and PM an estimate what it would cost to make it that way.

The panel itself is html/js using a php backend. Leave the backend as is and update the html only... I don't care :p

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited August 2017

I wouldn't hold my breath on solusvm, given that I reported a fairly critical bug to cloud.net (same parent company) about 2.5 months ago, and bumped the ticket each month. All I got back was "we'll send it to the devs". They sent it to the devs 3 times now by my count.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Any developers want to collaborate on a control panel? I'm willing to convert Wyvern to a standalone panel.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    Any developers want to collaborate on a control panel? I'm willing to convert Wyvern to a standalone panel.

We could join you as a company if thats for business.

• cubedatacubedata Member, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said:

yes I would like that since I cannot do one by myself which is why it is better just to collaborate on one together instead.

• @cubedata said:

@KuJoe said:

yes I would like that since I cannot do one by myself which is why it is better just to collaborate on one together instead.

What languages are you familiar with?

• @OnApp_Terry said:

@AnthonySmith said:

OnApp_Terry said: It won't have automatic KVM disk resizing.

I think you mean it won't have automatic partition resizing unless you mean that v2 will be less capable than v1 .. which would be pretty stupid.

Yes, thank you for clarifying things further.

Terry - you'll know as well as anyone involved in development here, that a new hire takes ~6 months to get up to speed with the product.

I know Solus is behind on timelines and trying to save face, but this isn't the place where soundbites will work unfortunately.

So I agree - this is mostly UI work, and not backend dev. The design team have already given us the elements. The dev team are now going through and converting all the pages to the new design. So you're right, no one can expect him to have the productivity of the team that has been with us the whole way, but when it comes to fine tuning small behavior, it will certainly help.

A kid woukd have succeeding in designing yiur panel in less than two years and it'll probably become better than your actual final product

@doghouch said:

@cubedata said:

@KuJoe said:

What languages are you familiar with?

I can do most all since I can learn them fast though I do currently do PHP, html, js, css, asp.net which is the typical web languages

• RHCHostingRHCHosting Member, Host Rep

Have you tried Promox? or Xen Citrix?

• jhjh Member

richammond said: Have you tried Promox? or Xen Citrix?

Citrix is really not small company friendly. VMWare Essentials is better but the GUI is really bloated and the CPU scheduler is immensely wasteful.

I'm surprised more hosts on here don't use Proxmox actually. Every time this comes up the answer is, "it's not built for web hosting companies". That is true - but there's a good API and it wouldn't be a huge challenge to layer a SolusVM-style panel on top of it.

• @cubedata Any portfolio in making JS plugins?

@doghouch said:
    @cubedata Any portfolio in making JS plugins?

like nodejs etc? not yet but I am quick to catch on like I said.

• @cubedata said:

@doghouch said:

You said JS, so I assumed JavaScript. NodeJS is a plus for making panels btw :)

@doghouch said:

@cubedata said:

@doghouch said:

You said JS, so I assumed JavaScript. NodeJS is a plus for making panels btw :)

yes I do use JavaScript and can do NodeJS since that is what everyone I hear is making panels in these days.

• WSSWSS Member

I was going to toss my hat into the ring until you dumbfucks started talking JavaScript.

• @WSS said:
    I was going to toss my hat into the ring until you dumbfucks started talking JavaScript.

Um, okay.

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Um, okay.

Just so we're clear- JavaScript is a support feature- not a fucking service.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Um, okay.

JavaScript is a coffee recipe

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @mikho said:

@WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Um, okay.

JavaScript is a coffee recipe

I thought Java itself was.

• WSSWSS Member

Java was a shitty VM when we were all on different CPUs and it was hard to make portable code. For fucks' sake, SUN designed it and who has owned anything Sun in the last decade?

• @WSS said:
    Java was a shitty VM when we were all on different CPUs and it was hard to make portable code. For fucks' sake, SUN designed it and who has owned anything Sun in the last decade?

TL;DR Java is an ancient pile of crap that we should be embarrassed about.

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Also: JavaScript is batchfiles for people too stupid to learn how to use awk.

• @WSS said:

@doghouch said:

@WSS said:

Also: JavaScript is batchfiles for people too stupid to learn how to use awk.

Batchfiles? As in the kind of script that kids used to write for Windows?

What a joke :P

• WSSWSS Member

@doghouch said:
    Batchfiles? As in the kind of script that kids used to write for Windows?

What a joke :P

Only it takes more effort and has less casting than PHP for fuck's sake, and it's so goddamn slow and pointless.

Basically what I'm saying is:

Fuck millennials.

Thanked by 1AuroraZ