Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp

ascendrixascendrix Member
edited November 2016 in Providers

Hello,

I'm looking for a solid alternativ to SolusVM. I won't consider OnApp due to its high pricing. My requirements are the following:
-WHMCS or Blesta billing module
-Support for OpenVZ or XenServer
-WHMCS or Blesta billing module (or built-in billing)
-Self hosted (no SaaS such as Virtkick)
-Can run on a remote master server

Does anyone have any suggestions? I considered OpenStack and CloudStack, but they don't work with a remote master and don't have proper billing modules.

Regards,
Alec

Thanked by 1DETio

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited November 2016

At this moment you would not find any real alternative to SolusVM (which is the sole reason why onapp doesen't give a fuck about releasing anything new). You will get a lot of recommendations and a lot of advertising of new and upcomming panels, but none of them are stable and ready for production. Or near that stage. Virtualizor is one of the older players and has some integrations, but most who tested went back to solus (have not tested or used myself).

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @AlexBarakov That's the answer I expected, but at least I asked. @DETio VirtEngine looks promising, let's hope it'll live up to my expectations.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • I'm actually considering to develop a WHMCS module for OpenVZ 7. Would anyone be interested in that?

• ascendrix said: I'm actually considering to develop a WHMCS module for OpenVZ 7. Would anyone be interested in that?

Though not a provider of OpenVZ myself nor really taking any interest in it for around 5 years I would say there is still, right now (Just like there was back then), a market for that.

We're using Virtualizor as at least it's still been actively developed, or rather, there is physical evidence of that. That and they still maintain their templates.

• @ascendrix said:
    I'm actually considering to develop a WHMCS module for OpenVZ 7. Would anyone be interested in that?

It would be interesting though panels like SolusVM have not integrated it yet.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@ascendrix said:
    I'm actually considering to develop a WHMCS module for OpenVZ 7. Would anyone be interested in that?

Honestly from a consumer point of view OpenVZ is dying. Why would I buy one when a KVM is just as cheap? Hardware costs have lowered so much now days that if you're a new provider and you're only offering OpenVZ it just looks like you took the easy road instead of the best long term solution.

• @ascendrix, i tested det.io i cannot comment anything, but there is a lot of work to be done before you can get public, and i can say lot's of things has to be changed.

• Checkout Virtualizor, they've done some fantastic jobs, but the pricing is close to SolusVM, I would rather use SolusVM instead.

• xijinRK said: Checkout Virtualizor

It is painfully ugly :(

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@DamienSB said:

xijinRK said: Checkout Virtualizor

It is painfully ugly :(

It sure used to be very ugly but I think the multiple overhauls of at least the client area end have made it quite nice.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • Hostbill?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

SpartanHost said: It sure used to be very ugly but I think the multiple overhauls of at least the client area end have made it quite nice.

The admin side still looks like someone shit in their hands and clapped though.

Thanked by 1AshleyUk
  • @AnthonySmith said:

SpartanHost said: It sure used to be very ugly but I think the multiple overhauls of at least the client area end have made it quite nice.

The admin side still looks like someone shit in their hands and clapped though.

So you say that you like the Enduser Panel :) ? Which part in the admin area you dont like. Would appreciate constructive criticism.

@andreamada said:

@ascendrix said:

It would be interesting though panels like SolusVM have not integrated it yet.

We will be launching our beta version of that next month.

Regards

Thanked by 1Mad

virtualizor said: So you say that you like the Enduser Panel :) ? Which part in the admin area you dont like. Would appreciate constructive criticism.

Its ok, I think your biggest strength is your whmcs end user side, frankly if you just gave it a bit more attention you would need an 'end user panel', I have no doubt that users would rather do everything all in 1 place rather than maintain 2 logins.

In terms of your admin panel, the best advice I could give is, redesign it completely, from scratch, it is so much of a mess I would not even bother trying to fix it.

• FoulFoul Member
    edited November 2016

virtualizor said: Which part in the admin area you dont like

Move the navbar to the top of the page instead of the left side, it's so cluttered.

Make the VM list more beautiful. Look at how SVM has it for a sexy listing.

Add a Bootstrap alternative admin theme.

/2cents from a paying customer.

• RadWebHostingRadWebHosting Member, Host Rep

Virtualizor is looking like a solid alternative these days. The Softaculous team is always improving and supports their products...

• @virtualizor Just saw the new features of Virtualizor 2.8.8. The addition of detailed task logs is a very good move. Can you also add an option to choose the clock offset of VMs between "utc" and "localtime"? I also created a ticket (#219232) regarding this some time ago.

http://libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsTime

SolusVM has this feature since v1.15:

Added KVM clock options to admin and client areas. Choice of Default, UTC or Localtime. Also includes auto time catchup

• @jesin, we will try to add this feature in the next version

• At the OP, why are you looking for the alternatives?

• ascendrixascendrix Member
    edited November 2016

@Streamer Because SolusVM isn't properly maintained anymore (no updates to OS templates etc). On top of that I honestly don't believe that SolusVM v2 will ever be released. The perfect solution would be OnApp ( @OnApp_Terry ), but it's unfortunately way to expensive for a LET provider. If OnApp would offer a cheaper version without support, but more features I'd immediately sign up for it.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited November 2016

@ascendrix said:
    @Streamer Because SolusVM isn't properly maintained anymore (no updates to OS templates etc). On top of that I honestly don't believe that SolusVM v2 will ever be released. The perfect solution would be OnApp ( @OnApp_Terry ), but it's unfortunately way to expensive for a LET provider. If OnApp would offer a cheaper version without support, but more features I'd immediately sign up for it.

OnApp is flexible on pricing, but it will depend on the amount of cores agreed upon. SolusVM 2 is coming - I just received a quick update on the future release. There's some things still to be done, but they're actually more on the delivery end, than on the code side. I will warn you, the initial release of SolusVM 2 isn't going to be a huge feature release. Rather it's a complete re-write; completely modular now, which will allow us to easily roll out new updates and features, so you may not immediately see the features everyone is wanting, but with the new 'core' we can develop them much faster.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

@OnApp_Terry I don't think anyone here is going to believe you about SolusVM 2 until it is actually released. We've been told the same line over and over for years. At this point, everyone thinks it is vaporware.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @ascendrix said:

The perfect solution would be OnApp ( @OnApp_Terry ), but it's unfortunately way to expensive for a LET provider. If OnApp would offer a cheaper version without support, but more features I'd immediately sign up for it.

OnApp can work just fine for a LET provider - you just need to architect for it (like any solution).

There are also onapp providers (like dediserve) who can sell you an onapp powered server, or indeed your own onapp cloud, at lower thresholds than flying solo.

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

I have some good experience with Virtualizor, it's really ugly but it works. Why not give it a try?

@virtualizor
    To be honest, anything related to Virtualizor is ugly, the website, softaculous website, admin panel, enduser panel, even the WHMCS integration is ugly (due the color used). This is not an attack, your product works good.

Take a look at DigitalOcean and Vultr, see how their designs look, especially the colors used are perfect.

• @qps said:
    @OnApp_Terry I don't think anyone here is going to believe you about SolusVM 2 until it is actually released. We've been told the same line over and over for years. At this point, everyone thinks it is vaporware.

So. Many. Years. If. Bullshit.

OnApp_Terry said: SolusVM 2 isn't going to be a huge feature release. Rather it's a complete re-write; completely modular now, which will allow us to easily roll out new updates and features, so you may not immediately see the features everyone is wanting, but with the new 'core' we can develop them much faster.

To be honest after 2 years 2 months that sounds like you did a bit of a rewrite based on V1 code and will be putting a new skin on it.

Anyway your commercial manager has told me by email a number of times that V2 beta will be available before then end of November which is only 5 working days, I will check obsessively and by any means possible to see if that is the case.

Its going to be a very interesting few weeks.

• @AnthonySmith Didn't they once claim that V2 would be released in early 2016 as well?

edited November 2016

@ascendrix said:
    @AnthonySmith Didn't they once claim that V2 would be released in early 2016 as well?

Yes but this time it came with an invite to London to see it, as there did not seem much point in a 9 hour door to door to door trip to 'look' at it on a none production system I said I would use it on a real system for a few weeks then go.

I will being going to London to give feedback a few weeks after I have had a chance to go through the beta of V2 in detail.

Nice Christmas present :)

• @AnthonySmith Nice, I really hope they're serious about it and that they'll actually release a beta.

ascendrix said: @AnthonySmith Nice, I really hope they're serious about it and that they'll actually release a beta.

I really do think so this time, however given the last 2 and a bit years of misdirection and absolute BS, I would not be surprised to find a sting in the tail.