Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

GenjiSwitchPls said: @AnthonySmith remember mobile UI has been broken for at least 3 years from what I've seen on Solus. Once you login you get a random JSON response and have to manually reload to get it to show.

Yep, and you literally cannot use solusvm on an ipad, registered 2 years ago as an issue I think.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • @OnApp_Terry said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    @AnthonySmith remember mobile UI has been broken for at least 3 years from what I've seen on Solus. Once you login you get a random JSON response and have to manually reload to get it to show.

This is on the WHMCS module or inside your SolusVM account?

SolusVM itself. I reported it 2 years ago, possibly 3. Just load up the client panel and login you will see the issue, tried on Safari iPhone and Chrome Android. Been there for at least 2 years likely 3 if I am correct

edited May 2017

Malicious VM's running due to bugs in solusvm, does nothing about it for months, takes up interest a UI issue, tells me he won't entertain UI issues even if they have real world end user performance impacts because it is "as designed" and v2 development is more important, refuses to provide a release date for v2.

cherry pick much?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Malicious VM's running due to bugs in solusvm, does nothing about it for months, takes up interest a UI issue, tells me he won't entertain UI issues even if they have real world end user performance impacts because it is "as designed" and v2 development is more important, refuses to provide a release date for v2.

cherry pick much?

Hi Anthony,

A non-working UI is a different from one that has poor UX. I acknowledge many of the issues you have reported, but not all of them can I immediately fix. There are many times that my goal is to ensure they do not continue to exist in v2.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

@OnApp_Terry said:

@AnthonySmith said:

cherry pick much?

Hi Anthony,

A non-working UI is a different from one that has poor UX. I acknowledge many of the issues you have reported, but not all of them can I immediately fix. There are many times that my goal is to ensure they do not continue to exist in v2.

A non working UI ≠ terrible UX? A non-working UI might as well be the definition of a bad beyond shit user experience.

Thanked by 2Yura Aidan
  • @OnApp_Terry said:

@AnthonySmith said:

cherry pick much?

Hi Anthony,

Again Terry, v2 we no longer care about and that's a shame. We've been pushed back and not communicated with to such a degree we don't care. Give us a date for v2, a month to be exact and release it then and there and we might be happy if you deliver. A version 2 of a software is supposed to be revised new features and improvements. I don't know if you have actual developers dedicated to SolusVM but Jesus Christ if you pay people to make solusvm I've seen nothing worth paying them for.

2 years ago anyone asked me to recommend them a panel, I'd have gone hands down SolusVM, but Virtualizor has improved in those 2 years. I ask you this what has SolusVM released of value in the last 2 years? From my eyes nothing and that is a real shame from someone who used to love SolusVM.

OnApp_Terry said: A non-working UI is a different from one that has poor UX.

So why was this not addressed 2 years ago then when reported?

What I reported is none working UI that has real word UX issues for end users and hosts.

regardless of that, none of it is more important than the ghost VM issues created by SolusVM which you have literally done nothing about.

GenjiSwitchPls said: Give us a date for v2, a month to be exact and release it then and there and we might be happy if you deliver

It is past that for me now and many other hosts significantly bigger than me, no one cares about v2 now even when it comes out any loyalty is gone, they have destroyed the brand completely.

We just want support for v1 which they have essentially point blank refused to provide now using the justification: "This will be resolved in V2", 3 years later that no longer means anything, it is just an outright lie and not the first one.

These OnApp people are absolutely not to be trusted and it seems that @ditlev has just hidden his head in the sand when it comes to solusvm.

• @AnthonySmith said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: Give us a date for v2, a month to be exact and release it then and there and we might be happy if you deliver

It is past that for me now and many other hosts significantly bigger than me, no one cares about v2 now even when it comes out any loyalty is gone, they have destroyed the brand completely.

We just want support for v1 which they have essentially point blank refused to provide now using the justification: "This will be resolved in V2", 3 years later that no longer means anything, it is just an outright lie and not the first one.

These OnApp people are absolutely not to be trusted and it seems that @ditlev has just hidden his head in the sand when it comes to solusvm.

I no longer support SolusVM. I just want a answer. Will v2 ever happen? If its not tell us we can be bothered with what we can only assume now is lies.

edited May 2017

GenjiSwitchPls said: I just want a answer. Will v2 ever happen?

read from the bottom to the top:

Email from OnApp about V2's staus (last year)

I got access to a closed end user beta test about 2 months ago, all they have achieved is partial OpenVZ implementation no Xen, No KVM, even less features and functions in OpenVZ than V1 has and seems to me just to be a new UI on top of V1 anyway that is essentially a clone of virualizors UI.

V2 is the very definition of vaporware, only in this case it is being used as a tool to deflect support for V1.

• Host4GoHost4Go Member

@OnApp_Terry said:

@AnthonySmith said:

cherry pick much?

Hi Anthony,

Hi Terry,

I would like to know what exactly justifies an update/release taking over 2 years to be developed. I understand its a major release even if by the looks of it doesn't really add nothing, but still.

Let's be honest here, the stakeholders wouldn't accept just about any answer from the development team. You guys need to haveu a solid reasoning to explain to your management team why you keep missing the release date. No one enjoys constant delays specially when these are being produced by their own development team which I'm assuming that are under he direction of a project manager. A whole lot of wages to pay just to hear "erhmmm we missed the deadline again but ya know... It's hard"

Sorry if it sounds hardx, but I'm really interested to know.

Thank you.

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    I got access to a closed end user beta test about 2 months ago, all they have achieved is partial OpenVZ implementation no Xen, No KVM, even less features and functions in OpenVZ than V1 has and seems to me just to be a new UI on top of V1 anyway that is essentially a clone of virualizors UI.

V2 is the very definition of vaporware, only in this case it is being used as a tool to deflect support for V1.

You got access to a limited hosted trial for a preview, where we had only configured the OpenVZ environment. KVM was done at the time, and Xen is now finished.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: registered 2 years ago as an issue I think.

So it's still in New - Triage status...

paulof said: would like to know what exactly justifies an update/release taking over 2 years to be developed.

VirtKick code wasn't well-commented.

edited May 2017

OnApp_Terry said: You got access to a limited hosted trial for a preview, where we had only configured the OpenVZ environment. KVM was done at the time, and Xen is now finished.

yeah calling bullshit on that.

You had not even finished the OpenVZ side, keeping in mind that 6 months before this you said the ONLY outstanding thing was the installer script.. so yeah. bullshit.

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited May 2017

Hi Terry,

I would like to know what exactly justifies an update/release taking over 2 years to be developed. I understand its a major release even if by the looks of it doesn't really add nothing, but still.

Let's be honest here, the stakeholders wouldn't accept just about any answer from the development team. You guys need to haveu a solid reasoning to explain to your management team why you keep missing the release date. No one enjoys constant delays specially when these are being produced by their own development team which I'm assuming that are under he direction of a project manager. A whole lot of wages to pay just to hear "erhmmm we missed the deadline again but ya know... It's hard"

Sorry if it sounds hardx, but I'm really interested to know.

Thank you.

There is no reasonable justification at this point. Everyone on the team agrees it's been too long and every bit of harsh criticism is deserved. A large part of my role is to get the release on track, working with the development team and James, the OnApp CTO.

Unfortunately there was quite a bit of project mismanagement early on, due to staff turnover, change in direction... etc. I didn't have direct responsibility for SVM2 until March, but I, and the entire team, are aligned with the goal of doing everything we can to provide a summer 2017 release.

OnApp_Terry said: summer 2017 release

OMG I think we just got a date.

Summer ends September 20...

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry

raindog308 said: OMG I think we just got a date.

Had a few now, every single one has been missed, not sure why this would be any different.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • Just check - that's not a typo right? Definitely 2017? Not 2117 like I'm currently expecting it to be?

lukehebb said: Just check - that's not a typo right? Definitely 2017? Not 2117 like I'm currently expecting it to be?

your optimistic :)

Thanked by 1lukehebb
  • moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

I don't get this obsession with v2. Its just a number.

Thanked by 1sarah
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

jh said: Virtualizor need to invest in their UI. I just tried their demo and it's full of broken English, odd colours, odd icons, a footer where it shouldn't be etc. etc.

Yep the main admin UI is pretty hard on the eyes, since migrating over to virtualizor though, I have had to login to the admin UI twice, because it just works.

From the Client Side, the virtualizor panel is 100% fine.

If that was the only issues solusvm had,... then this conversation would not be happening.

Would you rather have odd colours or a KVM template system that has been broken for 8 months that was only acknowledged 24 hours ago, or a system that leaves deleted/terminated/canceled VM's running and publicly acknowledge that they don't feel it is very important?

I will take the odd colours in an interface I rarely use because everything is integrated into WHMCS now anyway thanks.

It's probably been a while since you used solusvm as a host iirc, believe it or not it is actually worse now than it was then and by quite a big margin.

You're exaggerating a bit. I use the latest solus WHMCS panel and haven't had any problems with it other than having to fix one link in the html template so that it finds the css file. Without that css file the formatting can be all over the place so that could be some of what you are seeing.

Yes, to get full functionality you gotta connect directly to the solus control panel but you don't need a separate log in. Just enable key authentication. I have used that for years now and it works very well. Automatically takes the customer to the control panel with one click. When they logout from there it automatically takes them back to the WHMCS control panel (assuming you set it up that way). No extra login required so it's as seamless as possible.

Not as good as having everything available in WHMCS though.

edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

cherry pick much?

What do you mean by malicious VMS running? I've never seen that and been using Solus for years and years. OVZ or KVM? How does one look for these?

I have found the odd orphaned VM but that has been rare. Every time I was able to explain it for reasons not related to Solus.

The VM suspension and termination automation between WHMCS and Solus has always been rock solid for me as it should be. VM creation is a different matter but I have always done that manually and checked all those things myself anyways.

What is your setup like? Are WHMCS and Solus running in the same data center or nearby? Are you running a Solus standalone master? Even if a WHMCS suspension or termination request is missed by Solus because of a momentary outage or something, it will just try again the next time the daily cron runs.

• @moonmartin said:

Completely agree - and the setup is unnecessarily ugly. The v2 WHMCS module will look like a native environment, and not a hacked together plugin.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@OnApp_Terry said:

@moonmartin said:

Completely agree - and the setup is unnecessarily ugly. The v2 WHMCS module will look like a native environment, and not a hacked together plugin.

Will OnApp's ever get that same treatment?

• @Rhys said:

@OnApp_Terry said:

@moonmartin said:

Will OnApp's ever get that same treatment?

The knowledge will be shared between the two brands, so it will happen. OnApp's are a bit more complicated due to the amount of modules created for it. If you have any specific requests, make sure to notify your account manager. They have routine meetings with the OnApp product manager, and CRO to ensure customer feedback is being listened to.

OnApp_Terry said: to ensure customer feedback is being listened to

Ball is set! Who's going to spike?

@moonmartin I appreciate you are probably a little bit nieve not having to use it at any scale for any length of time so I will box your comments as from the perspective of 'an enthusiastic tinkerer'

I assure you it is that bad and I am not egg saturating :) we could get into a point by point but it's apples and oranges obviously, when I was starting out I had very few issues, as soon as any sort of scale started solusvm starts breaking down, I am not the only one who has experienced this ist is pretty common.

raindog308 said: Ball is set! Who's going to spike?

I think he means feedback is listened too for onapp, for solusvm if they don't want to listen they just mark tickets as answered and let them close.

edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    @moonmartin I appreciate you are probably a little bit nieve not having to use it at any scale for any length of time so I will box your comments as from the perspective of 'an enthusiastic tinkerer'

I assure you it is that bad and I am not egg saturating :) we could get into a point by point but it's apples and oranges obviously, when I was starting out I had very few issues, as soon as any sort of scale started solusvm starts breaking down, I am not the only one who has experienced this ist is pretty common.

>

It's @AnthonySmith's world and we are all just living in it...lol

That has got to be one of the lamest responses I have read around here, just so you can avoid answering the question.

edited May 2017

@moonmartin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

>

It's @AnthonySmith's world and we are all just living in it...lol

That has got to be one of the lamest responses I have read around here, just so you can avoid answering the question.

Sorry what question? Everything you asked has been covered in fine detail AND confirmed and replicated by solusvm or is pretty irrelevant.

Look buddy we all know your not a host you just come here to troll by pretending to be and regurgitating other opinions you have heard.

If you really want to go through it I am more than happy to start a new thread and go through it with you in fine detail point by point, or better yet get your provider tag and we can do it in private in the providers section?

I have not had 1 interaction with you that was not just you trying to get a big response, so I really don't take you very seriously.

For the record I don't give a shit about the number either, I did not put the number out there, OnApp did, I would be more than happy with a working and supported v1