Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OneSite
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OneSite

fvsegarrafvsegarra Member
edited June 2017 in Providers

Hi there,
2 weeks ago we launched OneSite, where we strive to provide the best free web hosting service on the market. Could you please give it a look and let us know how to improve it? :)
URL: https://onesite.co/

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Good luck with your project, the website is quite simple :)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited September 2016

Not trying to rain on your parade, but -

• @fvsegarra Just curious to know if you dont have any ads then where will revenue come from ?

• PepeSilviaPepeSilvia Member
    edited September 2016

@Asim5haikh said:
    @fvsegarra Just curious to know if you dont have any ads then where will revenue come from ?

He doesn't need a revenue stream, it's simple, OP has a $5/month unlimited everything reseller hosting account.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

Yeah, this sounds a bit suspect. Is it commercial? Non-commercial? Your legal documents are a pretty much unreadable wall of text. It's running under an LLC, but there's no clear business model?

What's the catch?

EDIT: Company is registered in Delaware at a mailbox office. Sketchy.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2016

Good to see another free service supporting start ups :P
    Just make sure to have backups so something like this doesn't happen :)

• Hi there everybody!
    Thanks a lot for the comments & reviews.

Our business model is really simple:
    We strive to become the best free web hosting provider, made by people, for people. We've made the initial investment and we will also cover costs with an AdSense ad in our main site, once we need to.

Will we make profits?
    Sure we can, but it's not in our plans at the moment. But if you wonder how we could make profits, we could simply sell domain names or VPSes to our community!

fvsegarra said: Our business model is really simple: We strive to become the best free web hosting provider, made by people, for people.

That's not a business model, that's a mission statement.

fvsegarra said: We've made the initial investment and we will also cover costs with an AdSense ad in our main site, once we need to.

You won't get enough views on your main site to cover the costs.

fvsegarra said: Will we make profits? Sure we can, but it's not in our plans at the moment.

But it's an LLC, which suggests that it's commercial. How are you keeping it profitable? Is there a different service operated by the same LLC that is profitable?

fvsegarra said: But if you wonder how we could make profits, we could simply sell domain names or VPSes to our community!

You could, but have you done sufficient market research to determine that this is commercially viable? Somebody who uses free shared hosting is unlikely to have a reason to upgrade to a paid VPS, and even if they do, why would they not go with a more established provider?

And if somebody has the money for a domain, and they're sufficiently cheap to be looking at a free shared hosting provider, why wouldn't they pay a different hosting provider $1/month for the same shared hosting with better guarantees?

This all sounds very hand-wavy and "meh, we'll get around to the profit thing later", and that is going to cause problems for you down the road - and, by extension, for your users as well, who are suddenly going to lose their data and traffic when this folds.

I'm not saying that you can't offer "free" hosting and still keep it profitable, but you better have a damn well thought-out business model before you start trying to do so.

(You also didn't address my point concerning unreadable legal documents.)

Thanked by 2Host4Go k0nsl
  • fvsegarrafvsegarra Member
    edited September 2016

Hi there!
    Sure, let's go through this:
    First of all, and concerning our legal documents. We are updating the website at the moment, but we weren't planning on updating the legal texts. I think they're readable, but if people don't think so, we can for sure update them; it takes me no time to edit that! :)

Yes, that was indeed a mission statement. In my head, I was referring to the texts below the mission statement, but you're right.

About the business model. I have around 4 years experience in the industry. We've been working on the business model for almost half a year, to ensure we can provide this free web hosting service uninterruptedly. We have plans on providing cheap paid services, within the same quality lines, in a near future. Everything is of course planned, but I cannot disclose here our plan of action, as otherwise it's like if we gave everyone the guidelines to provide a sustainable and profitable high quality free web hosting service.

Overall, we are ready for this, and we will prove it :)

PS. A really nice update is coming up to OneSite. Keep an eye on our Community at https://onesite.co/community/

We'll also post about it here!

• @fvsegarra said:
    PS. A really nice update is coming up to OneSite. Keep an eye on our Community at https://onesite.co/community/

What forum software is that?

• We use esoTalk, and may update to Flarum once it's stable

• your cpanel domain and IP seems not licensed...

edited September 2016

@Falzo what do you mean?

fvsegarra said: About the business model. I have around 4 years experience in the industry. We've been working on the business model for almost half a year, to ensure we can provide this free web hosting service uninterruptedly. We have plans on providing cheap paid services, within the same quality lines, in a near future. Everything is of course planned, but I cannot disclose here our plan of action, as otherwise it's like if we gave everyone the guidelines to provide a sustainable and profitable high quality free web hosting service.

I'm not convinced. If your business model is so good, then you shouldn't need to keep it secret to be able to execute it - after all, once you set things into motion, it'll become inherently public anyway, and if secrecy is a requirement then your business would immediately fold.

I've seen a lot of people claim some kind of secret, innovative plan that they can't publicly share. Every single one of those plans was either not innovative after all, or folded within weeks.

Thanked by 2vpsGOD Host4Go
  • Hi there,
    As I told you, we did calculations and we will be able to cover costs with an AdSense ad in our website and with domain selling if needed. However, all costs are already covered, and this will only be executed once we need to.

As for profits, we will offer paid upgrades to our huge user base. We have the timings in our plan.

We are able to provide a sustainable high quality free web hosting service, which will also help us to get started in the paid web hosting industry.

edited September 2016

@fvsegarra said:
    Hi there,
    As I told you, we did calculations and we will be able to cover costs with an AdSense ad in our website and with domain selling if needed. However, all costs are already covered, and this will only be executed once we need to.

As for profits, we will offer paid upgrades to our huge user base. We have the timings in our plan.

We are able to provide a sustainable high quality free web hosting service, which will also help us to get started in the paid web hosting industry.

Yes, you've already said that. I'm just saying that I'm not convinced :)

Pretty much the entire description smells to me like "poorly thought-out plan that's presented as more thought-out than it really is", like there have been many of such on LET in the past.

• Sure,
    We'll see what happens in a few months then :)

Hmm. You were involved in 2FreeHosting/Hostinger?

edited September 2016

Yes, I've been working in the industry for over 4 years. 2FreeHosting is part of Hostinger.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

Just another trick to collect emails and then sell those emails or spam those emails ??

edited September 2016

I think that what you're suggesting is illegal.
    Again, we'll talk in some time!

• joepie91 said: involved in 2FreeHosting/Hostinger? + vsegarra

Actual Hostinger staff I think. Either way dodgy. Comments like:

fvsegarra said: We've been working on the business model for almost half a year

And after half a year all you could come up with to start advertising the service is https://onesite.co/

GTFO..

• Hi @Lee,
    Indeed, 100% :)

And what do you mean¿?

• @fvsegarra said:
    Hi there,
    2 weeks ago we launched OneSite, where we strive to provide the best free web hosting service on the market. Could you please give it a look and let us know how to improve it? :)
    URL: https://onesite.co/

Thanks!!!

This is technically an offer for free hosting, and you dont have a provider tag.

@jarland @ishaq

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

We use Netlify - it's free and reliable. We don't use it because it's 'free' but because it matches our needs :)

Have you ever thought of building a similar service? Netlify/Surge which are both profitable businesses and have been growing like crazy and both include a free service.

• Id still prefer something like Heroku I guess

• Ympker said: Id still prefer something like Heroku I guess

Heroku is container based, while Netlify is a fleet of servers with load balancers that run the whole platform - meaning big websites can be handled by Netlify where-as Heroku will have trouble as your website grows (need to scale the container up)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • They look really cool indeed. Thanks for the tip!
    @teamacc, this wasn't meant to be a free hosting offer or whatever. But in any case, how can I get the provider tag, for future occasions??

• @teamacc
    Alright! I'll definitely use that :D
    On the other hand, this is intended to be a review post on my startup (opinions on the website design, project and suggestions to improve). We aren't aiming to do a free web hosting offer, otherwise the post itself would have been written differently and more extensively!!

This discussion has been closed.