Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ShoveHost (Market Research) - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ShoveHost (Market Research)

Comments

• True @HalfEatenPie. They won't probably read. Too much of the easy route to riches series for them. Inevitably high failure probability.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

ShoveCron.

• @LV_Matt still uses Hostdime and loves them!

• prae5prae5 Member

@shovenose said: Well, on my Debian VPS MySQL kept crashing, so we run a Cron every minute to start it if it's not started.

Please tell me this really isn't the case.

Just stop now if it is. Stop taking money from paying customers. Spend 12-18 months getting some experience then maybe think about starting again.

You simply don't have the experience or the maturity for this at the moment.

This is not a criticism, we all think we are unstoppable when we are younger - but really you just aren't even close to being ready for this.

Once your reputation is tarnished you will have to work a million times harder to get red of it. Think of prospective employers too - if i was looking to hire you in the future and found the majority of the threads you are posting in, your cv would get dropped without a second thought.

• Hey remember this is the place where you can go from department store salesman to VPS kingpin in 2 short years. No degree needed. Work from home in your underwear.

• MunMun Member

@shovenose said: Well, on my Debian VPS MySQL kept crashing, so we run a Cron every minute to start it if it's not started.

Many company owners don't have a clue what they are doing, but the smart one, the ones who succeed and become rich hire someone that knows what they are doing and steps back and lets them do the work. I suggest you do the same @shovenose, as that mysql database if it disappeared right now would do what to you?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Nothing, I backed it up.

• How old is @shovenose?

• MunMun Member

@shovenose said: Nothing, I backed it up.

That is why you aren't smart, if you are an actual business man you would have realized you would have had downtime, the site would be down, and finally you would have to do more work fixing it. The fact is you don't know how to run a company and you bull shit your way through most of it. You are still running your main server's ssh port on 22 without fail2ban. It is simply waiting to be exploited. Heck are you even sure if the backups are usable? One of the common mistakes is that backups aren't even functional. Heck you only have 2048 bit encryption for you main site, for what you are doing it would be far more beneficial to have 4096. However you as a CEO make the cheapest decisions and one of these days it will end up back firing.

Not to mention what happens when LET stops helping you? Will you be able to survive or will you just melt?

The fact is I wouldn't want to have an account with you simply for the possibility of having the same hack happen to Chicagovps happen to you. If jeremiah was as smart as I think then you shovenose won't even know the DB has been stolen until it is too late.

Download nmap and do an internal audit man. See what you can and don't want being seen as for one it will be an eye opener.

• FreekFreek Member

@shovenose said: Nothing, I backed it up.

Arrogant replies like these is what makes you so unpopular.. It's a shame you just don't seem to get that.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

As I know @shovenose is a good person, I support him.

• Oh no, DewlanceVPS to the rescue :)

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@RobertClarke said: @shovenose You could shove an Nginx reverse proxy in front of it.

ShoveProx.com

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@DewlanceVPS Thank you, after some of the bashing I get, I appreciate it :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi said: Is that actually the case? I remember @Randy was a pretty friendly guy but just had no idea how to get a genuine Windows key properly, LOL :)

Randy was nice, just as Dr. Shove, just not ready to be a VPS provider.

• MunMun Member

@shovenose said: @DewlanceVPS Thank you, after some of the bashing I get, I appreciate it :)

Maybe the people bashing you are trying to tell you something. :)

• @Randy was a nice guy, at least he listened to advice and didn't ask >9000 questions.

• @SimpleNode said: @Randy was a nice guy, at least he listened to advice and didn't ask >9000 questions.

I don't recall him using LET as his personal help desk. I could be wrong though.

• @HalfEatenPie said: I don't recall him using LET as his personal help desk. I could be wrong though.

He doesn't. I think he just tried to hire someone here to help him

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Any tl;dr for this thread? I'm sitting here watching SolusVM restores and paint drying.

• @Nick_A said: Any tl;dr for this thread? I'm sitting here watching SolusVM restores and paint drying.

Shovenose copied and pasted another market research thread and then basically got chewed out by every single user and provider here except for a handful of people.

Basically, he should have a clear picture of how badly he screwed up.

• @Nick_A said: Any tl;dr for this thread? I'm sitting here watching SolusVM restores and paint drying.

And grass growing... can't forget that.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@mnpeep said: And grass growing... can't forget that.

Actually the really boring thing is the whirr of all the servers here

• How about not deleting free vps accounts? Ya know giving someone a vps then deleting and recreating it on random nodes gets old really fast... :)

• @Nick_A said: Actually the really boring thing is the whirr of all the servers here

Don't forget your ear protection.

• @jcaleb said: He doesn't. I think he just tried to hire someone here to help him

There was some drama about LoomHost scamming him too over the Windows licenses. Btw it's Ranty :)

• texteditortexteditor Member
    edited March 2013

@Nick_A said: Any tl;dr for this thread? I'm sitting here watching SolusVM restores and paint drying.

• @shovenose said: Well, on my Debian VPS MySQL kept crashing, so we run a Cron every minute to start it if it's not started.

Oh god..

I hope that is not the MySQL server, which hosts your WHMCS database..

EDIT: Looks like it is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @NateN34 said: I hope that is not the MySQL server, which hosts your WHMCS database..

It is. He's said it in this thread. Right after "We've been hacked!"