Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDOS UK StormVZ - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDOS UK StormVZ

Comments

• @Jack I know that, Its just rare that a switch has the same amount of incoming / outgoing traffic. I am aware that a reflection attack makes a reply as well but if his server is on a Gbit port then it can only reply at a gbit

• @goexodus said: @Patrick First you have to ask yourself who would spend money and time to attach three of your little servers in the UK with such ferocity.

Then you should ask whether you had the proper emergency response planned and whether you had an SLA to mitigate risk away from your hands. Did you made the right choice in the first place about your DC in terms of being able to handle such threats with Auto DDoS detection, immediate response procedures, upstream router traffic shaping, whitelists etc. Even after the fact do they even have all the logs needed to prosecute and deliver the data to the authorities.

Maybe in the end you should educate all of us about the lessons learned.

No.

• LeeLee Veteran

So has the attack subsided? I am confused are you moving out of the UK as suggested above to the Netherlands?

• I am wondering the same. The whole reason I purchased my VPS was for the geolocation to the UK. I hope that remains the case even after the switch -- I know of a few other VPS providers in NL that geolocate to the UK. My fingers are crossed. If I lose the geolocation, then I'll have no further use for this server, and I've paid up for the year. :( Major bummer.

• apollo15apollo15 Member
    edited March 2013

What NL datacenter? Hope it's big enough to handle that, I dont recon there is any that offers ddos mitigation though.

Hopefully attacks will stop when you change location as it appears to be launched because of UK location.

• @tritium_h3 I'm sure they will consider refunds? It's a big difference in location and may not be suitable for some people

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

Rapidswitch null at edge router and they don't drop it via upstreams, they are unable to null route IP blocks of IPs at nights either because they don't have any of the senior network manager(s) there.

Our NL DC uses net flow collector to easily see attacked IP and null route it automatically, RS either wait for us to tell them IP by us finding it ourselves through tcpdump or whatever or wait until it affects there network and take action.

• my minivps box on OVH never has issues...
    :D

• LeeLee Veteran

@cloromorpho said: my minivps box on OVH never has issues...

OVH are not bad if you know how to deal with them and get them to act quickly enough, minivps seem to be one of the few who had boxes with them that could do that.

• tritium_h3tritium_h3 Member
    edited March 2013

@Taylor That's my hope. I'll let Storm settle into the new DC before raising that issue as I know how hard it is to migrate. I just hope they don't DP while I'm waiting patiently.

• LeeLee Veteran

It's only fair that they offer a refund when the location is changing, won't matter to some but for others it will.

• Patrick might migrate the servers in outer space in orbit around another planetary system in a galaxy far away and he will never issue any refund. He will just change the TOS once again to include extraterrestrial Data centers :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@goexodus said: Patrick might migrate the servers in outer space in orbit around another planetary system in a galaxy far away and he will never issue any refund. He will just change the TOS once again to include extraterrestrial Data centers :)

You seem a little hurt for whatever reason but then I don't expect anything mature from the majority here.

Unless your a active client, your opinion is just partially read and thrown out.

• @taronyu said: How are the performance of a StormVZ? (Compared to Ramnode)

Serverbear was made for that

• @Patrick said: You seem a little hurt

Relax, it was a (funny) fantasy story, clearly his first time with drugs

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@BronzeByte said: Relax, it was a (funny) fantasy story, clearly his first time with drugs

I just realised who he could be. Anyways...not upset at all, just less shopping for the week of things I don't need but get anyways.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Patrick said: I don't expect anything mature from the majority here.

Ouch. Happy to take their money though.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@W1V_Lee said: Ouch. Happy to take their money though.

Yes, 'I ran away with the money' but I'm still here trying to get everything back in working condition for the UK customers.

Some people are making a joke out of the situation which I do not like.

<don't take it literally>

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@Patrick said: I ran away with the money

I KNEW IT!

• @Patrick said: Yes, 'I ran away with the money'

• @Patrick said: Some people are making a joke out of the situation which I do not like.

Uhhh... not me... hehe... oh shit, it was me

• @BronzeByte said: Uhhh... not me... hehe... oh shit, it was me

I know that feeling.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Patrick said: Yes, 'I ran away with the money' but I'm still here trying to get everything back in working condition.

Some people are making a joke out of the situation which I do not like.

<don't take it literally>

It's LET, you have surely been here long enough to know people will get a rise out of this, of course until happens to them then it's a different story.

The majority though are not laughing or getting a rise out if it, that I am sure.

• @W1V_Lee said: The majority though are not laughing or getting a rise out if it, that I am sure.

I am pretty sure that the people who take it serious (99% of the customers) will watch this thread and have nothing really to say.

• @BronzeByte said: I am pretty sure that the people who take it serious (99% of the customers) will watch this thread and have nothing really to say.

Yup.

You can check the LEB comments on our last offer, majority of our clients are still happy regardless of the DDoS because up till then we provided amazing service and continue to do so.

10 servers in US, up and running with 0 downtime isn't too bad hey?

• @Patrick said: 10 servers in US, up and running with 0 downtime isn't too bad hey?

I'm sorry @Patrick, I expected some more than 100% uptime from you, kind of dissapointed...

• I guess the next offer will be 3Tera bytes just to kill the competition. At least you cannot advertise 100% availability anymore unless the 3 ex servers in the UK where operated by aliens ...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@goexodus said: I guess the next offer will be 3Tera bytes just to kill the competition. At least you cannot advertise 100% availability anymore unless the 3 ex servers in the UK where operated by aliens ...

You can't seriously expect 100% uptime for a 5$ per month box. Especially this is something totally out of their control.

• LeeLee Veteran

@goexodus said: I guess the next offer will be 3Tera bytes just to kill the competition. At least you cannot advertise 100% availability anymore unless the 3 ex servers in the UK where operated by aliens ...

So are/were you a customer?

• Well, I personally LOVE the VPS i got with StormVZ.

And for me this DDoS is absolutely no problem at all, I moved all important things to a backup server and the world is fine for me.

However, it is a pity to lose a good UK location there :(