Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DDOS UK StormVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DDOS UK StormVZ

NeoNeo Banned
edited February 2013 in General

Hey,

Since some days StormVZ get DDOS, my VPS is still down and they said it will again take up to 12Hours downtime...
Did anyone know some new news?

Comments

• That IS the new news... they only sent that ~1 hour ago.

• @Damian said: That IS the new news... they only sent that ~1 hour ago.

Indeed. If they're been nulled, there's not a lot we can do. It's just a waiting game now, and hope that whoever dislikes StormVZ so much has reaped as much damage as they wanted... and that SormVZ has managed to mitigate it.

• I feel your pain patrick. This happens to EVERYONE who has a UK location.

• @BradND said: I feel your pain patrick. This happens to EVERYONE who has a UK location.

Second time I've heard this, I'm genuinely interested on the details / what happens (beyond UK providers nulling easy)

I remember someone else saying as soon as a VPS company enters the UK market they get attacked.

Is this well known / happened to other people? Does this actually stop hosts from expanding to the UK?

• edited February 2013

Going back, as soon as i posted our UK offerings (Not here) but on WHT/Wjunction I become under a DDOS attack - only our billing portal though which was hosted here in the UK.

Though this wasn't targeted towards the low end market.

• BradNDBradND Member
    edited February 2013

It has stopped us putting our hardware in colo facilities for sure. We simply do not have the budget for large commits (they are expensive in the UK) so we just went elsewhere, if not better(germany, for example we have 4gbit there) It has also stopped our expansion plans in the UK until a point where we can afford to get a 10g+ commit.

• KrisKris Member
    edited February 2013

@OSACOM said: Though this wasn't targeted towards the low end market.

Large providers like RS / UK2 suspected? Or just VPS providers in the UK with a good hold of the market / enough BW?

I'm now shocked at how many people I've heard that straight avoid the UK now because of this. I thought maybe a few low end people, but wow.

• @Kris well we're with Iomart as is Storm so I doubt they want to ddos themselves ;)

• I have a web hosting server with them and has only IPv6 available now, just wait them to work this out and wish the attacker all the worst.

• edited February 2013

@Kris
    Our website was with Rapidswitch on a VPS.
    I had no choice but to cancel the service there and move it onto our NL network which we've faced no issues at all.

Our offerings was £10.00 + a month I can't see why someone would get shitty with that.

• what profit they do ddos or meyeb someone pay to do that or just for fun ?
    i think all host provider can be help and give support to other

• Look for the one UK provider that's not facing these issues :P

• This shit is really winding me up. I moved from UGVPS' Coventry location because connectivity was up and down more often than a whores draws, and now the same swines are having a crack at StormVZ. I really want a relatively large plan for a solid RDP machine, but it seems anyone in the UK with a bigger ram offer is getting hit.

• Unleash the LET investigation team ^_^

• Its only come about in the last half year so that should narrow it down, we never had one DDoS in our OpenVZ/KVM UK deployments (VMPort).

• OpenITC don't seem to have had any problems, haven't heard anything from AllSimple either (although I'm no longer a customer). HttpZoom are as solid as ever.

I blame @jhadley , he's playing it low-key with his consistently priced offers, looks like a prime suspect.

• @Nekki Both those are big, established providers who probably have large commits and the ability to inject nullroutes at whim.

• What about MiniVPS?

• @Nekki said: OpenITC don't seem to have had any problems, haven't heard anything from AllSimple either (although I'm no longer a customer). HttpZoom are as solid as ever.

Evorack seems also ok. The same with Vooservers. And MiniVPS.

@Nekki said: I blame @jhadley , he's playing it low-key with his consistently priced offers, looks like a prime suspect.

lol :)

• Are any of the impacted providers only running from the UK? Seems like the ones being hit have US locations too. A case of some (really shit) misdirection?

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited February 2013

Maybe start looking at those that have a history of carrying out attacks or a history on HF, there are a few and oh wait and they are providers here, oh and UK providers too.

Or is it just that LET attracts the type of person that likes to wind providers up or attempt to put them out of business just for fun? That's seems like the IQ of many members on here at times.

It seems that in the absence of any proof, speculation is the answer, if people suspect a provider why not call them out and explain why you think it's them.

If there is no proof then people should stop using "another provider" as an excuse for them being attacked.

• @W1V_Lee said: That's seems like the IQ of many members on here at times.

Actually i would say that the attacks are pretty smart, considering that they are working. Multiple providers have already said that they don't have an UK location due to them.

• @Kris said: enough BW

It's also about Packets per second and not just megabits per seconds

@Nekki said: OpenITC don't seem to have had any problems

They have their own DC and network

@gsrdgrdghd said: Actually i would say that the attacks are pretty smart, considering that they are working.

Booters / botnets

• @BronzeByte said: They have their own DC and network

Actually, no.

They use RapidSwitch in Maidenhead.

And Custodian I believe.

• @Ishaq said: Actually, no.

They use RapidSwitch in Maidenhead.

Spot on, as per http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/openitc-4-00-6-501024mb-kvm-in-maidenhead-uk/

• ChicagoVPS, maybe?

• unusedunused Member
    edited February 2013

@murky said: ChicagoVPS, maybe?

< groan

• Wow this is terrible.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@GetKVM_Ash said: Its only come about in the last half year so that should narrow it down, we never had one DDoS in our OpenVZ/KVM UK deployments (VMPort).

You're just asking for it...

• Every time we get posted on LEB and our offer includes our UK location our billing panel starts receiving DDoS as does UK nodes,