Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

12GB RAM Dedicated Server in LA for $39. Just bought one - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

12GB RAM Dedicated Server in LA for $39. Just bought one

Comments

• @jarland Yup, free IPMI it seems from a few reviews I've read, not asked directly though

• @jarland said: What!? Oh please be true.

Yes I have one.. they are Dell cs24-sc and the IPMI works awesome compared to the iLo we had at datashack, the down fall is they provision the IPMI on one of your 5 IP's and also the RAID is fake RAID/sata RAID ICH9R so wont work with proxmox/vmware.

• @jarland said: What!? Oh please be true.

'Tis true, I have one of these :)

• Ooooooooh, free IPMI, that is really tempting

• @jkr1711 "Hmm, never had this issue with OVH

OVH.ie requires photo IDs and proof of address if you live in the US or a non-EU country so they can verify you're exempt from VAT. Hetzner requires the same info if you're outside the EU:

Since you're a new customer with Hetzner, could you please send us a scan of your passport or ID card (authenticity check) and a photo of your credit card?

It's only necessary for your first order with us.

Please send the documents by fax or as an email attachment.

• @DomainBop Living in the UK I pay VAT for everything :p Looks like it's now at the managers discretion, hopefully he'll/she'll be on my side so I'm conservatively confident

• @BronzeByte said: Ooooooooh, free IPMI, that is really tempting

Actually the E3-1230 V2 deal that DomainBop posted from perfectIP comes with free IPMI as well.. it's a supermicro based server where the WII is a Dell server

Passmark results:
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz 9,119
    [Dual CPU] Intel Xeon L5420 @ 2.50GHz 6,585
    Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27GHz 4,881

• Hooray! Victory dance time. Upper management agreed with my valid reasoning so all I needed to do was send a scan of the agreement and my bank card.

I'll keep you all updated as events unfold

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jkr1711 said: send a scan of the agreement and my bank card.

They at least give you a cigarette after? ;)

• @jarland haha :p All I got was a thank you for my co-operation and confirmation my order is being processed. I think that's more than enough for one night

• @fly said: wsi $39

/thread

I got one of those a month ago and they are very nice servers and support is very quick and helpful also (well same with my DataShack server but we know why). I have the IPMI connected too for work I need to do and it is a giant benefit.

I would definitely say that is a good server and offer especially with unmetered.

• $50 a month extra for software RAID 1.

That is where they get ya.

• @NateN34 said: $50 a month extra for software RAID 1.

It's hardware RAID for $50..

• @NateN34

Or you could request a temp KVM and set it up yourself. Are you sure its not hardware raid 1?

• Yeah I'm pretty sure it's hardware RAID, no-one in their right mind would charge monthly if at all for software RAID

• @earl said: What makes it more tempting is they also give you free IPMI..

What? Which one!

• @HalfEatenPie said: What? Which one!

I would assume Wholesale Internet as their 39.00 server includes it for free.

• @HalfEatenPie @Holoshed I think PerfectIP does too, I never asked but I'm pretty certain from what other reviews have said and comments left here have said

• @jkr1711 said: @HalfEatenPie @Holoshed I think PerfectIP does too, I never asked but I'm pretty certain from what other reviews have said and comments left here have said

Ah, may be, I was just looking at the flow of the comments leading up to that quote and it seemed to refer to WSI.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: What? Which one!

The E3-1230V2 (Supermicro) deal from perfectIP and the xeon L5420 deal from WII (Dell)

I have them both and they both include IPMI

Might as well add if anyone is interested that the Xeon E5520 does not come with IPMI, you can purchase a remote reboot addon for like $2/m, they also have a control panel similar to OVH, Dacentec where you can automatically reload your own OS but unfortunate only Centos is available for now, they say they will be putting up more images but not sure when.. and I think OS reloads are free anyways they never mentioned having to pay a fee to reinstall an OS.

• dearroydearroy Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Ordered a E3 server and let's see how it works.

• @jkr1711 said: Yeah I'm pretty sure it's hardware RAID, no-one in their right mind would charge monthly if at all for software RAID

Yes I have asked before signing up it is definitely hardware RAID, I know the E3-1230V2 supermicro has onboard fake raid as well, so not sure why anyone would pay to setup software RAID once and pay for it every month

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@dearroy said: Ordered a E3 server and let's see how it works.

It's been going good for me, support is really quick to reply! the only thing is the drives are WD Green so not the greatest performer, Also the port seems to be capped at around 250Mbit so you don't get a full 1Gbit.

• Server is up now, confirmed I got free IPMI with the $39.99 E5520 deal. Benchmarks to follow soon

• @jkr1711 said: I got free IPMI with the $39.99 E5520

They gave you IPMI When I asked they said no IPMI for the E5520?

• @earl Yup I got IPMI details right here in front of me. Currently doing a yum update but I'll double check everything later as it's 20 past 1 in the morning here

• FWIW, this...

@DStrout said: I like that they have a /120 IPv6 block for $1.

...was sarcasm

• jkr1711jkr1711 Member
    edited February 2013
    wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5520  @ 2.27GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  2260.836 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 11903 MB
    Total amount of swap : 7999 MB
    System uptime :   25 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 24.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 24.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 36.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.02MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 4.68MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 7.93MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.38MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 43.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 87.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 19.4MB/s
    I/O speed :  82.6 MB/s

Not complaining at all! Paying for a 100mbps port but those inter-US throughputs are great. Even international speeds are decent. Well worth the hassle it seems

• @jkr1711 said: @earl Yup I got IPMI details right here in front of me. Currently doing a yum update but I'll double check everything later as it's 20 past 1 in the morning here

Ah OK.. Do you know what kind of a server they gave you? is it supermicro or Dell?

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

Ok just asked them again regarding the E5520 IPMI and they said it's the luck of the draw some come with IPMI and some don't..