Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW!

Comments

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited March 2016

ManofServer said: was joking with my question

As was I with my post :)

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • These chips are dirty cheap now.

Check http://www.ebay.com/itm/262118101167

And same applies to the ECC RAMs.

I'd say good price, but not dirty cheap though.

• The amount of Delimiter hate just confirms how good these are.

• msg7086 said: I'd say good price, but not dirty cheap though.

They're cheap. Hardware costs are lower, but they're quite expensive to run.

@iwaswrongonce said:
    The amount of Delimiter hate just confirms how good these are.

There's definitely hate, but it's not coming from our end :)

• iwaswrongonceiwaswrongonce Member
    edited March 2016

@mikeyur said:
    ...just take a lot of hacks to work even semi-correctly as server gear.

@MarkTurner said:
    The problem with these systems...

@MarkTurner said:
    ...for hosting they are unsuitable.

@MarkTurner said:
    But for Windows users this is going to be hell on earth.

@MarkTurner said:
    The problem with that is...

@MarkTurner said:
    This was one of the big turnoffs I saw when these systems

@mikeyur said:
    There's definitely hate, but it's not coming from our end :)

Yep, definitely no hate whatsoever!

Thanked by 1Riz
  • @iwaswrongonce said:
    Yep, definitely no hate whatsoever!

You're mistaking facts for hate.

Thanked by 1vimalware
    edited March 2016

@mikeyur said:
    You're mistaking facts for hate.

They are not mutually exclusive kiddo. There is more in depth information posted here in a matter of hours than Delimiter managed to scrounge together for its multi-day outage post mortem.

• We're quite familiar with these machines :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

iwaswrongonce said: Yep, definitely no hate whatsoever!

Obviously, the Delimiter guys have more than enough reason to point out flaws in competition, but they have shared some information that is good to know. My thought is that if you have to attack the person, it's probably because you lack the ability to attack their words. Consider for a moment that this might mean that their words were a reasonable contribution to this thread, regardless of intent.

• emreemre Member, LIR
    edited March 2016

@mikeyur so what ? I feel jealousy in your and @MarkTurner 's posts.

this is how I read your messages:

"We wanted to use these servers. But after long hours of thinking and exploring these servers, we thought that they were not suitable in hosting environment, and we can not trust ourselves that we can deal with these servers, so we did forgot them, although they were ultra cheap to own. But now WSI @AaronW bought a lot of them and managed to offer services building around them , and having great feedback here.. What have we done.. But , But ,, we found them first.... "

you both are like kids whose toys are taken away from them :)

next time you found something in the wild, be the first one to deliver it to masses. This time WSI beat you up. Acknowledge your mistake and show some respect :)

iwaswrongonce said: @mikeyur said: ...just take a lot of hacks to work even semi-correctly as server gear.

@MarkTurner said: The problem with these systems...

@MarkTurner said: ...for hosting they are unsuitable.

@MarkTurner said: But for Windows users this is going to be hell on earth.

@MarkTurner said: The problem with that is...

@MarkTurner said: This was one of the big turnoffs I saw when these systems

@mikeyur said: There's definitely hate, but it's not coming from our end :)

• @emre said:
    mikeyur so what ? I feel jealousy in your and MarkTurner 's posts.

You're free to read into my posts however you like. I was not the first to address the issues in this thread, but I did expand on them.

Thanked by 2vimalware doghouch
  • @emre said:
    mikeyur so what ? I feel jealousy in your and MarkTurner 's posts.

this is how I read your messages:

next time you found something in the wild, be the first one to deliver it to masses. This time WSI beat you up. Acknowledge your mistake and show some respect :)

If that's how you perceive the Delimiter rep's replies then that's all you'll see them as.

I, as someone who is currently a customer of WSI and was previously a customer of Delimiter welcome their knowledge and experience to this thread. They're pointing out ways these machines are going to be a hassle for both WSI and the end user. They are not bagging WSI at all for going for these systems, in fact if you pop over to the $10 WSI thread you'll see Mark offering the WSI rep suggestions on how to get certain OS's and Kernal's running.

You also need to remember that this is a non-official offer thread, it wasn't posted by the WSI rep. Merely by another user, all members of the forum should be allowed to contribute.

• More in-dept knowledge is always a good thing. It's personal attack we should all avoid. Arguing point to point is always fine.

Delimiter has all retired enterprise level gears from its parent company and managed to fit them in to LET budget. Where as WSI is expert to make non-standard DC hardwares stable enough in a large scale.

Both of them has good products delivered to us with good price, even though they done that by totally different approach.

As a lowend consumer, I am happy to see more variety of product available and willing learned and accept different point of views.

Thanked by 3Amitz Riz ihatetonyy
  • MarkTurner said: The problem with that is that this port is presented to the OS, so from a hosting provider perspective, a user could just ifconfig eth0 and they are on the management network

Wouldn't tagging your switch port solve this issue? Pretty normal to do that...

• So a benchmark thread turn into a drama then...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I was considering one, but 1 drive maximum? they need to give themselves a shake.

• MattKCMattKC Member
    edited March 2016

@ManofServer said:
    Hey are you guys trying to hijack the WSI thread? :D

Of course they are, it's standard practice for them to slag anything their competitors offer and spam their sigs all over the threads. Official offer thread or not, the practice is disappointing.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • lazytlazyt Member

Waiting for all of the WSI sucks threads mentioning the items the Delimiter folks pointed out.

I remember some posts on other forums talking about the issues mentioned here months ago by early adopters of the systems.

These are new with WSI so let's see how things play out in a few months.

• These only make sense as part of a pure Linux compute cluster.

Would be a great deal if purchasing 3-4 with private vlan.

I am toying with the idea of a rpi3 kubernetes cluster at home.

Open source commodity Cluster technology is HERE.

• iNapiNap Member

@mikeyur said:
    We're quite familiar with these machines :)

I bet you are. ;)

• @MrGeneral said:
    Go grab it folks!!!

https://www.wholesaleinternet.net/cart/?id=272

For 99$ USD!

Just got one!

Will post benchmarks soon.

Don't they sell extra ips? Because there is no option

• Anyone know if they allow VMware ESXi or Windows Server 2012 r2 install? This seems to be a good deal. Maybe we can use these boxes for our addition virtual infrastructure.

• To add some clarifications - we have seen these machines, we were offered quite a few when they were ripped out of Facebook about a year ago.

We tested them for suitability for hosting and they were deficient in many ways:

1. Lack of IPMI
    2. Lack of KVM
    3. Lack of video interface and suitable USB for KB/Mouse
    4. Lack of virtual media, meaning PXE only install
    5. No further BIOS updates from Quanta, this means the DCMI issues will no be addressed
    6. Security issues in the DCMI (easily compromised) - it shares an OS accessible port which means every customer has access to the management network as well as every other customers DCMI
    7. Sniffing the shared DCMI port (eth0) shows the DCMI passwords in plain text
    8. Build quality - the 10GE mezzanine card is not securely affixed and has no strain relief, its very easy to dislodge it
    9. Single in-chassis disk
    10. Single PSU powering two motherboards

Lets translate this into real world customer terms:

1. If your system fails to boot, you have no way to see whats going on. You're just blind. You can't connect a KVM, you just have to reinstall or if you're running Linux use something like SysRCD. This was the reason we stopped Windows being an option on our (now-retired) Atom servers, there was no way to manage it if you lost network or it failed to boot.
    2. Debugging kernel boot issues are impossible, the serial FTDI interface doesn't work properly. This means custom kernels to work around the deficiencies of the motherboard are near to impossible.
    3. Lack of DCMI security means that a rogue customer could cause disruption
    4. Single Disk doesn't make sense for such a high spec system - if you were running this as a VMWare/Xenserver box you would want RAID1 minimum

These units are selling for $100/unit right now, add a couple of E5-2670 $50/proc, some RAM $50-75 and for $250 you have a 'server'. They are cheaper than every system we use, so if we believed they were suitable for hosting services - trust me we'd be buying them.

As compute nodes in a private datacentre, these are a fantastic buy, you are not going to find a cheaper system. But for public dedicated hosting, the functionality is not there and the lack of kernel compatibility is a real pain.

• IMHO, it's perfect for computing grid. R, Matlab, stream processing, Hadoop worker node etc.. So many software is now having redundancy built on server node level and they were designed to run on "commodity hardware". These type of hardware is perfect for that use case.

Myself also have bad experience on used fb servers, one chassis power half die and causing the cluster under my managed offline for 2 days. Then I learned never build a cluster on a single rack of used server only.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Where can you actually buy those units?

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@boernd said:
    Where can you actually buy those units?

eBay.

Thanked by 1boernd
    edited March 2016

NotMarkTurner said: As compute nodes in a private datacentre, these are a fantastic buy, you are not going to find a cheaper system. But for public dedicated hosting, the functionality is not there and the lack of kernel compatibility is a real pain.

This is a quality post. Maybe you should stick to this account. I am curious then, for customers like me, why hosts are not more excited by these prospects. As a cash strapped startup, if we're going to spend $10k/mo on spark/memsql/redis clusters, we have to stretch that as far as we can. The absolute amount of spend may not be "low end" but we are certainly low end customers (in that we prioritize price over ancillary services and reputation). We started deploying at OVH because WSI didn't have inventory, but just a comment on the market needs, you are going to see a lot more people wanting these machines. They worked at Facebook for a reason, and they will work for other customers...and arguably at more than $99. They may not be great for your average summer hosts or Minecraft server, but the world is bigger than LET.

Also, are the units that were ripped out of Facebook still trading at those prices? Would you be able to get your hands on some? My issues with Delimiter aside, at the end of the day we are trying to minimize our price/performance metric. If you could get some, I might be interested in a colo deal.

Thanked by 3MikePT david_W Junkless
  • iwaswrongonce said: This is a quality post. Maybe you should stick to this account.

All my posts are high quality :)

iwaswrongonce said: My issues with Delimiter aside, at the end of the day we are trying to minimize our price/performance metric. If you could get some, I might be interested in a colo deal.

We won't be using these units, despite how cheap they are. They have no place in a public facing datacentre.

They worked at Facebook because their infrastructure is private (trusted networking), when a box fails, there are another 24,999 to take over. They booted over PXE for the majority of them so there were no local workloads. The local disks from what I heard were scratch disks but all OS/data was pulled over the network as required.

In the scale-out environment, you cut a lot of cornes on the product because its about ultra-high volume with regular failure an expectation which is built into the deployment formula.

Windmill v1 (these units) were Facebooks first mass implementation of OCP, for their application these were fine ie for private datacentre where you can factor in failure. But in smaller deployments the loss of one or more servers can be catastrophic and you have no way to investigate that failure when it happens.

Thanked by 3jar vimalware deadbeef
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

@iwaswrongonce said:
    They worked at Facebook for a reason, and they will work for other customers...and arguably at more than $99. They may not be great for your average summer hosts or Minecraft server, but the world is bigger than LET.

Forgive me for being blunt, but I don't see how anyone can be so hard on cash that they're willing to risk any single part of their startup to this:

@NotMarkTurner said:
    6. Security issues in the DCMI (easily compromised) - it shares an OS accessible port which means every customer has access to the management network as well as every other customers DCMI

7. Sniffing the shared DCMI port (eth0) shows the DCMI passwords in plain text

I'm sorry @iwaswrongonce but that's not about budget, that's simply absurd to accept that kind of risk as an acceptable situation. No matter what that machine is doing or how public it's data is, there can be no scenario in which the system is this vulnerable, performs any production task (redundant or not), and has no potential to impact your service/product when compromised.

That's pure carelessness well beyond the typical LET mindset of "Well it's cheap so it's worth the risk." Most people act like that toward downtime if it's cheap, not blatant security vulnerabilities.

If you're purchasing this, you should demand a detailed explanation of how WSI has mitigated this concern. Ignoring it is definitely a huge mistake.

They clearly worked at Facebook because they weren't rented out to third parties, every tenant could trust the other because there was only one tenant.

Thanked by 1deadbeef