Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW!

Comments

• Indeed a nice offer! looks like I can rent a few for worker nodes for map reduce tasks in the future. Hope the IPKVM will be available by then.

• Amazing

• @david_W said:
    Indeed a nice offer! looks like I can rent a few for worker nodes for map reduce tasks in the future. Hope the IPKVM will be available by then.

I'll give you $50 if you can show me how someone could plug in a KVM to this machine. Let alone a normal monitor + keyboard + mouse to fix issues in-person.

• @mikeyur said:

May I ask how did you know the exact model they deployed???

• Can someone post the output from dmidecode?

• @david_W said:
    May I ask how did you know the exact model they deployed???

Photos posted by their owner in the other thread of racks of these chassis and explaining that they're Open Compute Project systems.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

mikeyur said: I'll give you $50 if you can show me how someone could plug in a KVM to this machine. Let alone a normal monitor + keyboard + mouse to fix issues in-person.

There is a diagnostic kit available from one of the vendors.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    Can someone post the output from dmidecode?

Hi fish!

Sure.

Lots of these, but...

Handle 0x0028, DMI type 17, 34 bytes
    Memory Device
            Array Handle: 0x0021
            Error Information Handle: Not Provided
            Total Width: 72 bits
            Data Width: 64 bits
            Size: 8192 MB
            Form Factor: DIMM
            Set: None
            Locator: A5
            Bank Locator: Node0_Bank0
            Type: DDR3
            Type Detail: Registered (Buffered)
            Speed: 1333 MHz
            Manufacturer: Hynix Semiconducto
            Serial Number: 2B2BE0F2
            Asset Tag: Dimm5_AssetTag
            Part Number: HMT31GR7BFR4A
            Configured Clock Speed: 1333 MHz

@qps said:
    There is a diagnostic kit available from one of the vendors. I think it includes a cheapo video card.

Hmm interesting.

• tommytommy Member

Delimiter,

Why both of you keep show up on other offer? Willing to help or want someone asking for refugee then that thread become yours? Just like thread berofe outages

In some thread both of delimiter representative offer different product, I thing 1 is enough.

Imagine if they had 5 guy here??

Just check both WSI thread.

Left them alone, make your own offer, or ask people to do that :)

• @tommy said:

Lol

• david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited March 2016

@mikeyur I want to claim your $50 ;) Here is the solution..

PCI graphic card x1
    Monitor x 1
    Camera module for raspberry pi x 1
    Raspberry pi x1
    USB to Raspberry pie connector cable x1
    Greek x 1

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Jack said:
    Plug GPU into the PCI Slot and there's a USB port on the board.

I guess if you permanently install one, otherwise it involves powering it down via unplugging the molex and dropping the card in then booting back up.

These are great machines for crunching a ton of data (which is what Facebook used them for), just take a lot of hacks to work even semi-correctly as server gear.

• @david_W said:

I said KVM not.. whatever that monstrosity you're building is :P

Thanked by 1DeletedUser

mikeyur said: I guess if you permanently install one, otherwise it involves powering it down via unplugging the molex and dropping the card in then booting back up.

I believe that there is also a "debug header" which you can plug into on the motherboard if you buy the diagnostic kit from one of the vendors.

10.8 Debug Header
    The motherboard includes a debug header on the front of the motherboard to display

POST codes (see 10.8.1). The debug header supports hot plugging.

The debug card has two 7-segment LED displays, one RS-232 serial connector, and one

reset switch. The RS-232 serial port provides console redirection. The two 7-segment LED
    displays show BIOS POST code and DIMM error information. The reset switch triggers a
    system reset when pressed.

• @mikeyur said:
    I said KVM not.. whatever that monstrosity you're building is :P

It function exactly the same as a KVM... It just... a bit bulky..
    but IT WILL WORK. 99.99% SLA guaranteed..

Jack said: Maybe they're using some PXE install system that doesn't need human input?

Yeah, the boards support PXE, so I'm sure that's how they're doing it.

@qps said:
    Yeah, the boards support PXE, so I'm sure that's how they're doing it.

NOC-PS probably.

• Jack said: I'm curious on how they're installing OS's on them without a display device... so I assume they must be putting GPUs in them? Maybe they're using some PXE install system that doesn't need human input? Who knows, I would be interested to find out some more info on what they're doing though.

Yeah, you can do PXE via the gigabit port. The board also has basic management (DCMI). The graphics card add-on might work, but I don't know if the USB port supports HID as it's designed for storage.

These are meant for clusters of compute power, that's why there's only room for 1 disk per system. If a drive dies you pull the full chassis (2 machines) and swap the drive, then plug it back in and it automatically spins up and starts crunching data again.

• Jack said: How cheap are GPUs these days, I've not looked for cheap ones in a long time, by now I assume you can pick a cheap and tacky one for $20, I'd assume a $20 one wouldn't need additional power and the power from the PCI Slot should be sufficient, leaving one of those plugged into these chassis's 24/7 in the off-chance the customer might need a KVM dongle attaching shouldn't be too much overhead.

The problem with these systems is that there is no strain relief on the PCI slot (which requires a riser) so pulling a card in and out, or worse trying to connect a VGA cable to a PCI card runs the risk of wobbling badly.

Same with the 10GE mezz, its just hanging there on some nylon pins.

These were designed and used by Facebook for internal computing, as a raw compute server - they are fine, but for hosting they are unsuitable.

The lack of onboard KVM, lack of video interface on the board, the USB port is designed for USB flash not for HID.

The only way to run these is using PXE and when something goes wrong SysRCD or similar. But for Windows users this is going to be hell on earth. What do you do when Windows blows up and you need to get into the console, you can't because there is no way in.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • mikeyur said: The board also has basic management (DCMI).

The problem with that is that this port is presented to the OS, so from a hosting provider perspective, a user could just ifconfig eth0 and they are on the management network.

VLAN isn't going to protect it because the user has access to the hardware so can manipulate the VLAN tagging on the shared port.

This was one of the big turnoffs I saw when these systems came on the market about 18 months ago.

• @MarkTurner said:

may be you should get another account without the provider title to provide us all these information ;) We all want to be a nicer guy isn't it?

• david_W said: may be you should get another account without the provider title to provide us all these information ;) We all want to be a nicer guy isn't it?

Ok, I'll use this one for my non-Delimiter postings.

• @NotMarkTurner said:
    Ok, I'll use this one for my non-Delimiter postings.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NotMarkTurner said: Ok, I'll use this one for my non-Delimiter postings.

WTF Impersonator!!

• Hey are you guys trying to hijack the WSI thread? :D

• @ManofServer said:

Ask @tommy

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @mikeyur said:
    These are meant for clusters of compute power, that's why there's only room for 1 disk per system. If a drive dies you pull the full chassis (2 machines) and swap the drive, then plug it back in and it automatically spins up and starts crunching data again.

So, there will be downtime for you if the guy sharing the chassis has a dead disk?

• @teamacc said:
    So, there will be downtime for you if the guy sharing the chassis has a dead disk?

Should be able to pull the disks from the back, pop out cables and slide disk out.

• ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited March 2016

@mikeyur said:

Nice one :)

I like Delimiter though and was joking with my question, I'm not like tommy, and I'm not his multi-account.