Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW! - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW!

Comments

• Hadriel said: Maybe Mark should pickup one of these and do some testing to see if there really are problems.

Maybe @MarkTurner did that when they first came on the market and Yomura was considering making a product out of them.

He seems to check his facts before opening his mouth.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

@NotMarkTurner said:
    Maybe @MarkTurner did that when they first came on the market and Yomura was considering making a product out of them.

He seems to check his facts before opening his mouth.

Would you be able to check my post a few pages back? I was curious about what you meant when you said the USB wasn't suitable for HID use, like is it entirely incapable of that?

My post was here if you want a link.

• rdesrdes Member
    edited March 2016

It should be possible to run vKVM on this servers, just like OVH and Hetzner do on their entry level AMD or Atom machines - http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/VKVM/en

Thanked by 1luissousa
  • It sounds like Delimiter is the Donald Trump of hosting.

• globalRegisters said: It sounds like Delimiter is the Donald Trump of hosting.

I know words. I have the best words.

But seriously - We're just here to make dedicated servers great again!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • iNapiNap Member

But seriously - We're just here to make dedicated servers great again!

Offer valid only 363 out of 365 days a year.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • Setsura said: Would you be able to check my post a few pages back? I was curious about what you meant when you said the USB wasn't suitable for HID use, like is it entirely incapable of that?

We connected a USB keyboard (HP WZ972AA) to the port and it would connect and disconnect. It was the same on both boards.

However connecting a Sandisk USB flash key, it connected and remained connected and usable.

• SetsuraSetsura Member
    edited March 2016

@NotMarkTurner said:
    However connecting a Sandisk USB flash key, it connected and remained connected and usable.

That is interesting, as long as it is sorta capable I guess there is a chance. Perhaps a bad unit or KB? I may buy just one set of these off the old ebay and mess around with the USB. Thanks for answering.

• tommytommy Member

Look what I said. Some time ago they said how unstable other storage system, single home etc.

How about we bring softlayer offer here? They'll (delimiter) have another complain. They're (delimiter) the best. They have testing everything. But in the end people still running their business and had better uptime.

They dont have server there, they complain based on their on test on their environment.

When complaint coming on their way they gone!!

They might tell the truth but wsi has been there for few years.

Keep coming

• tommytommy Member

And please dont pm me :) just post it here

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Someone here is nit picking about the hardware setup one provider is using and is making it work for their needs. We will be the first to find out if it doesn't work well for them. People will spread the word. Remember the same provider had a data center that was down for 3 days because they had failed to check something so simple when they moved in. I don't see the other company shitting on their lawn. Keep up the good work.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited March 2016

And WSI claims they have overcome many of the things you talked about. I meant get a box from WSI and see if whatis being said is true. I don't doubt you did your homework on your own unit.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • RyanDRyanD Member

MarkTurner said: AaronW said: That's what access lists are for.

Seriously?? Fire your network administrator if that is what they are telling you.

>

That is exactly the point of a stateless ACL. With automation and a multi-vendor abstraction layer like say... Napalm and integration into WSI's portal, you could easily manage a simple stateless acl applied to a vlan interface.

Further, (assumption of Aaron's config) since each device is isolated to a distinct vlan, no "other customer" is going to sniff plain text passwords from some other customer's vlan.

Even if a customer had multiple devices within the same vlan, you still shouldn't be able to sniff things destined for another box, it's a switched network and I assume the requests aren't just broadcast out....

Thanked by 3telephone Riz iNap
  • racksxracksx Member
    edited March 2016

@rdes said:
    It should be possible to run vKVM on this servers, just like OVH and Hetzner do on their entry level AMD or Atom machines - http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/VKVM/en

Yes it is, but is a pain in the a** to make it work, but it can be done :)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

Even if I liked a lot the way @MarkTurner contributes to this community, their actions in the last several weeks disappointed me.
    After some issues (not deadpooling) of a competitive provider, they posted "refugee offers". It is somehow a "steal" of clients of a competitor.
    Karma answered and they had a major failure that left 2-3 days their clients without a server at all! And it was a failure that caused by poor power redundancy setup in their datacenter.
    Now, only a very short period after their major failure and while they are trying to gain back their reputation and re boost sales, a competitor (WSI) appeared in the field with some crazy-cheap offers on low-specs servers.
    They sold those servers quickly and then, they posted a high cpu power, big ram very cheap server offer in a really cheap price, lacking on some specs higher end servers with same cpu offers.
    MarkTurner mostly but MikeYur also, started to pointing out the disadvantages of those servers and presenting some technical details on why a potential buyer should consider to avoid them.
    @AaronW from WSI answered on those opinions, stating the perspective of his company about the setup they did, with some technical details.
    Nice talk with arguments from both sides. So far, so good. But Mark Turner (he also opened a second account that started as a joke and continued not so much as a joke) is continuing his accusations about WSI setup. Now, it is no more a contribution to the community from a member, but clearly Delimiter's try to harm WSI sales, probably because they cut sales from Delimiter! This is just poor behavior.
    MarkTurner, you represent a company here. You are not a simple member whose opinions are not biased. At least I, do not like when a company seem to try gain sales by harming products of another company. It is a poor behavior, even more when you just got out from a big failure caused by your poorly designed infrastructure...

(Just my 2 cents)

• @jvnadr THANK YOU!!!

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2016

You'd think someone was running for political office wrt motivations. To me, it seems like the points raised were valid points and were genuine, regardless of who is saying it.

• jvnadr said: MarkTurner mostly but MikeYur also, started to pointing out the disadvantages of those servers and presenting some technical details on why a potential buyer should consider to avoid them.

You keep missing the boat. These systems are readily available on the market, there is in fact a glut of them. IF we wanted to offer that product, we could just order some and get selling. The blade servers we rent for $20/month cost more than these Facebook servers. Look at the commercial opportunity here, we buy these servers spend $250 and we can earn $100/month versus spend $200 and earn $20/month. Its like an accountant’s utopia.

Irrespective of your position on this matter, we did test, we did find issues that we would prevent us taking them into commercial service. We can't knowingly offer it in good conscience. This is an ethical and a long term commercial decision.

We are not going to lose any sales to this product, we don't have an E5 product or $100/month server for sale. Our base products range from $20-$50/month and in that market dominate and that position will be re-enforced now that Delimiter has proper sales leadership.

At this time, we have no interest in the higher spec E3/E5 products. Remember Delimiter's products are 'hand-me-downs' from Yomura's off-lease equipment, HP never made any E3 blades and the E5 blades are still current so not at end of lease yet. Once that starts happening then of course Delimiter will get passed the E5's to sell but that is probably 12 months away.

Secondly the majority of our customers come to us because they want true enterprise grade servers on a quality network – desktops + HE/Cogent vs enterprise + XO/Cogent/Time Warner in one of the best-connected buildings in the US. We are in completely different markets, obviously if we were to enter the Kansas City market then of course this would change.

Whether you like it or not, there has to be a standard in this industry. Do we have to debase it to the point where we take desktop computers pile them up on shelves and call it a commercial grade server? There has to be a base level - so a customer has a server, KVM, power management as default not as some optional extra or devoid completely.

This race to the bottom will only end up with consumers getting trashier and trashier hardware. I keep making the point that as well as working for a hosting provider, I rent servers from other providers so in that capacity I am a consumer. I stick with OVH because the product is good and they understand real infrastructure. Given OVH's price point for E3/E5 there is absolutely on good reason to be dicing around with anyone else. I personally have servers with them in France and Canada, I've experienced outages, the power outage the other day, the network cut a few months back but bottom line I don't care, if I need bullet-proof uptime then its down to me to build it through redundant infrastructure across multiple providers and networks.

I have also advised and assisted quite a few providers on here with their router/switch configurations as well as helped them to setup their infrastructure correctly. Why? Because if this industry is going to survive in its current state then it needs to be done right. Its not just about popping onto Amazon and buying yourself a Mikrotik router and getting a couple of internet connections and calling yourself a hosting provider. You have to use the right tool for the right job.

My involvement with Delimiter is not about disparaging other service providers, its about primarily making sure that whatever we deploy is done right. Lets be clear that doesn't mean its perfect but it means we'll go into every offering eyes-open ensuring that every product is feature-full and aggressively priced rather than just selling something because they are cheap and to hell with the functionality.

We had a range of products - the $5 Atom, I protested vehemently when it was suggested, but Mikeyur's predecessor determined that it was worth sampling the market with a desktop server. It sold like hot cakes and they had 150 sold in the first day but stepping away from the fast buck, it was bad on every level. It was the first time Delimiter had built a product on a desktop never mind the lack of IPM and KVM. Luckily when Mikeyur took the helm he killed that product off on his first day.

Mikeyur asked me to build him a product that hits the $10 market, but frankly unless we start pumping out desktops with disks from the last decade and KVM-on-demand then we can't meet that price point; and there is absolutely no point dropping standards to pick up a few thousands $10 servers. When/if we can do that with what we consider to be the base level of functionality then I am sure we will enter that space.

I am a network engineer at Yomura, I am not compensated in anyway by Delimiter. If Delimiter moves 1000 boxes or 1 box it makes no difference to my income.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2016

Other providers talk bad about things all the time and no one gives them hell. A few people jump up and decide that they have a problem with Delimiter doing it, and they toss out the accusation that if you're not doing it you must be a shill for them. Suddenly that's the new bandwagon to be on or you're not cool.

Honest opinion of the recent anti-establishment (Delimiter is apparently the establishment this month) attitude both here and in other threads. But hey, I'm just a shill, after all they sent me red bull (I spent $600 at Taco Bell last month, but yeah I can be bought by $30 worth of red bull lol).

It's boring guys, you can stir up better drama than this. I know we're in a dry spell but damn. Even I had to try really hard to pretend to care. I really don't.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • AmitzAmitz Member

jarland said: I spent $600 at Taco Bell last month

Jarland-Boy! Come to Mama! We have to talk! What did I tell you about good and healthy nutrition? Go on like this and you'll come back to Daddy & me and work on the Farm again!

Thanked by 1jar
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

jarland said: Other providers talk bad about things all the time and no one gives them hell, but a few up and decide that they have a problem with Delimiter doing it and they toss out the accusation that if you're not doing it you must be a shill for them, and suddenly that's the new bandwagon to be on or you're not cool.

Well, Jarland, at least me, I think that it was a good thing MarkTurner started to show grey areas about those servers WSI provides. All of his first comments about lack of kvm, video output etc. was a real contribution for potential buyers. Then, anyone that was going to buy it, could do a little more search on the net, ask WSI about his concerns and know the limits of this hardware.
    AaronW answered with some points that for him, are valid and clear things up for the servers.
    As I said, this was "wo far so good".
    But after all that, making circles around the same arguments just to say "those machines are not good for sale" from people that are competitors... Well, this is another thing.
    Delimiter and WSI are on the same market: they are targeting clients in the price range of 20-50$ mostly. Both are doing good job in their areas: Delimiter offers standard IPMI, fresh drives and some specs WSI does not offer.
    WSI offers more power/ram/ip for the same price, but managing the server is coming without remote access or configuring the product. It is clear for the buyer to chose depending with his needs.

All that have nothing to do with you, as an admin. "Shilled" or not, it is a debate for the products and tactics of two companies. Why do you need to clarify that your opinions are honest or saying that you are not biased because of a couple dozen of red bulls? It is perfectly clear!
    Also, it is not true that other providers are not receiving criticism when they talk bad about competitors. There are plenty of examples in LET and, IMHO, it is a healthy thing to receive criticism when they bash competitors.

Thanked by 3jar hawc PremiumN
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

jvnadr said: Why do you need to clarify that your opinions are honest or saying that you are not biased because of a couple dozen of red bulls? It is perfectly clear!

No less than three people have suggested that this red bull purchased my favor, so I like to poke fun at it :)

Thanked by 2jvnadr deadbeef
  • AmitzAmitz Member

jarland said: No less than three people have suggested that this red bull purchased my favor, so I like to poke fun at it :)

I only talked about the Poptarts. ;)

Thanked by 2jar jvnadr
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited March 2016

jarland said: No less than three people have suggested that this red bull purchased my favor, so I like to poke fun at it :)

They are idiots! It was red bull after all, not a case of 2013 2003's Dom Perignons! :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Amitz said: I only talked about the Poptarts. ;)

• And who made all these made? Mr El Cheapo...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@inthecloudblog said:
    And who made all these made? Mr El Cheapo...

Wooo...

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • I want one, but they're out of stock already

• @foreverman said:
    I want one, but they're out of stock already

Looks like the people have made their decision. Congrats @AaronW.

• @foreverman said:
    I want one, but they're out of stock already

It's back in stock now.