Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WSI - Dual E5 2670, 96GB RAM, 1TB SSD - LIVE NOW!

Comments

• XenosXenos Member

@mikeyur There are several other LET members that share my opinion. I'm actually late to the party. It's tacky posting in threads about other providers and blatantly promoting Delimiter. Does WSI, Volumedrive, or Dacentec do that to Delimiter? Heck no! Delimiter is the only company I've seen do that to others here. However, I do applaud Mark in this particular thread for stating facts and educating consumers.

Thanked by 2elflord Amitz
  • I am thankful for @MarkTurner 's posts here. I would have merrily purchased this and then find out the hard way that it would suck for my use case. He saved me a lot of trouble. And no, I am not a Delimiter customer or have any other dealings with him.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited March 2016

@Xenos said:
    mikeyur There are several other LET members that share my opinion. I'm actually late to the party. It's tacky posting in threads about other providers and blatantly promoting Delimiter.

I think it's more smart than tacky. The world is not a big fuzzy cotton ball emitting rainbow-shitting unicorns screaming "BE FAIR!".

Thanked by 1jar
  • AmitzAmitz Member

Microlinux said: The world is not a big fuzzy cotton ball emitting rainbow-shitting unicorns screaming "BE FAIR!".

And this is the exact fucking problem that I have with this world.

• Microlinux said: The world is not a big fuzzy cotton ball emitting rainbow-shitting unicorns screaming "BE FAIR!".

• Xenos said: There are several other LET members that share my opinion. I'm actually late to the party.

I'm not sure that there's a resolution to this. I'm not here to please everyone, each user is free to have their own opinions.

Just going to quickly restate what I posted previously:

I'm going to continue contributing to the community in the same way I have for years, which means engaging with providers and other members.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Way back in the mists of time, providers wouldn't criticise each other or pick holes in each others offerings, and were generally cordial to one another (in public at least).

That's not the way LET is anymore, and that's that really. I'm sure we all have an opinion on whether that's a good thing or not.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Nekki said:
    Way back in the mists of time, providers wouldn't criticise each other or pick holes in each others offerings, and were generally cordial to one another (in public at least).

That's not the way LET is anymore, and that's that really. I'm sure we all have an opinion on whether that's a good thing or not.

A great man once told me: We're all cunts.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

racksx said: Is to bad, that you have no KVM, no option to install your own partitions, no option to install os like centos6 etc...

Customer access to the DCMI interface is coming. That's how we currently handle reboots and reload functions. There are some security issues to iron out and then they will be accessible through the service panel int he billing system.

If you know what you're doing you can use the recovery option to change your partitions or even load custom OSs. We don't support it but there are posts on this forum of people loading Windows 7 on some of our boxes using that method. :)

qps said: Yeah, the boards support PXE, so I'm sure that's how they're doing it.

All our preconfig system use PXE to boot and load. We also have custom provisioning systems, tests and wipes. Basically once the hardware is built and racked the system automatically detects that a new server has been racked, determines what kind of system it is, tests the hardware and takes over from there. No one touches them after that unless there's a hardware issue.

mikeyur said: If a drive dies you pull the full chassis (2 machines) and swap the drive, then plug it back in and it automatically spins up and starts crunching data again.

The drives are accessible without removing the chassis or even powering down the blade. They are hot swapable.

MarkTurner said: The problem with these systems is that there is no strain relief on the PCI slot (which requires a riser) so pulling a card in and out, or worse trying to connect a VGA cable to a PCI card runs the risk of wobbling badly. Same with the 10GE mezz, its just hanging there on some nylon pins.

The pins hold the mezzanine cards in pretty snug. There's actually a metal bracket to secure a card in the PCI slot.

MarkTurner said: These were designed and used by Facebook for internal computing, as a raw compute server - they are fine, but for hosting they are unsuitable. The lack of onboard KVM, lack of video interface on the board, the USB port is designed for USB flash not for HID. The only way to run these is using PXE and when something goes wrong SysRCD or similar. But for Windows users this is going to be hell on earth. What do you do when Windows blows up and you need to get into the console, you can't because there is no way in.

We've actually solved all these issues. :) Fortunately I have some very smart people working for me.

MarkTurner said: The problem with that is that this port is presented to the OS, so from a hosting provider perspective, a user could just ifconfig eth0 and they are on the management network. VLAN isn't going to protect it because the user has access to the hardware so can manipulate the VLAN tagging on the shared port. This was one of the big turnoffs I saw when these systems came on the market about 18 months ago.

That's what access lists are for.

Thanked by 1ManofServer

AnthonySmith said: I was considering one, but 1 drive maximum? they need to give themselves a shake.

We will have several specs on these including specs with multiple drives. Yes, we even solved that problem. :)

Thanked by 2vimalware ihatetonyy

MarkTurner said: Windmill v1 (these units) were Facebooks first mass implementation of OCP

Actually it was the second. We have the first ones, which were all 55xx based. We have a LOT of those running. No complaints in the last 3 years we've been using them.

vlearnedu said: Don't they sell extra ips? Because there is no option

The auto provisioning system isn't set up yet to interact with the switches these are on as they're not our normal vendor. You can open a ticket requesting additional IPs.

TheZealous said: Anyone know if they allow VMware ESXi or Windows Server 2012 r2 install? This seems to be a good deal. Maybe we can use these boxes for our addition virtual infrastructure.

The 2012 image will be done next week. I don't have an ETA on ESXi. Right now the rollout priority is CentOS 6.x, Debian, Windows 2012 and 2008 Chinese and then ESXi.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2016

@AaronW

As a simple enthousiast (i.e. not a sysadmin), from this thread I am left with these questions:

• If something goes wrong during boot (non-hardware) and I need console to investigate, is there such a possibility?
    • Can my neighbours sniff my traffic/hack me (in regards to the DCMI thing)?
    Thanked by 1ricardo
  • kalamkalam Member

@AaronW Please add Ubuntu 14.04, some of us prefer LTS.

• AaronW said: That's what access lists are for.

Seriously?? Fire your network administrator if that is what they are telling you.

• What @deadbeef said, which seems to cover the negative aspects of this on face value, good offer.

Thanked by 1deadbeef

deadbeef said: If something goes wrong during boot (non-hardware) and I need console to investigate, is there such a possibility? Can my neighbours sniff my traffic/hack me (in regards to the DCMI thing)?

Not at this time. That functionality is coming soon. Our technicians do have the ability to see your screen on boot so they can help you if you need it.

While I would never say your box is unhackable, we have taken steps to secure the back end interfaces. That issue is one of the first we addressed.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • AaronW said: While I would never say your box is unhackable, we have taken steps to secure the back end interfaces. That issue is one of the first we addressed.

Can you define those steps for clarity, because access control lists are NOT going to help in this matter.

Thanked by 1Sady
  • NotMarkTurnerNotMarkTurner Member
    edited March 2016

AaronW said: While I would never say your box is unhackable, we have taken steps to secure the back end interfaces. That issue is one of the first we addressed.

Sorry wrong account - I have to use this one to ask questions

Q: Can you define those steps for clarity, because access control lists are NOT going to help in this matter.

• NotMarkTurner said: Sorry wrong account

The joke was funny when started...

Thanked by 2Amitz yomero
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

More and more I am getting an idea that WholeSale Internet don't really have a clue what they are doing with anything.

hawc said: More and more I am getting an idea that WholeSale Internet don't really have a clue what they are doing with anything.

I'm sorry to hear that. You seem to be such a proponent of us in other threads.

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • @AaronW said:

You should check out my signature yo, you already have my address ;)

To be serious though, I'm enjoying my 10USD 500GB atom, I probably will (still) be grabbing one of the 50USD dual E5s.

• iNapiNap Member

The sarcasm packed into this comment :)

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1606859/#Comment_1606859

• Maybe Mark should pickup one of these and do some testing to see if there really are problems.