Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• @KernelSanders said: They would have emailed you saying you've been grandfathered in

I have been grandfathered, however does that still apply when I create a new droplet?

• @taronyu said: I have been grandfathered, however does that still apply when I create a new droplet?

It's based on your account not droplet so yes..

• @Liam said: Not sure if I get free bandwidth. I've had an account for a while but haven't deployed a droplet in a while. Doesn't seem to be a way to check..

If you got no email then you're not grandfathered.

Unfortunately I missed the deal :(

• 1TB is still a lot of B/W. I don't see how you can burst through that without TOR with just 20GB of HDD.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

...and even when "grandfathered", there's still this annoying throttling, you don't know when will it kick in or what exactly triggers it, you can't take their "unlimited bandwidth" promise seriously.

So you have not lost that much.

• @rm_ said: ...and even when "grandfathered", there's still this annoying throttling, you don't know when will it kick in or what exactly triggers it, you can't take their "unlimited bandwidth" promise seriously.

Unlimited != unmetered.

• @rm_ said: ...and even when "grandfathered", there's still this annoying throttling, you don't know when will it kick in or what exactly triggers it, you can't take their "unlimited bandwidth" promise seriously.

You got throttled for running a public Tor exit node, which is against their terms. I see no issue; you may have a point when bandwidth is throttled for someone who was using it legitimately.

edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: running a public Tor exit node

You retard, where do you conclude that from?

@heiska said: Unlimited != unmetered.

Correct, they can meter all they want, but they shouldn't limit me, or this is false advertising.

• @gubbyte said: You got throttled for running a public Tor exit node, which is against their terms. I see no issue; you may have a point when bandwidth is throttled for someone who was using it legitimately.

I don't see him saying he ran anything TOR related. I see people comparing it to the usage of TOR.

• @rm_ said: You retard, where do you conclude that from?

@HalfEatenPie said: I don't see him saying he ran anything TOR related. I see people comparing it to the usage of TOR.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/195577#Comment_195577

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited January 2013

This is him providing TOR as an example of what can use up considerable bandwidth. I don't see this as him actually running TOR.

edited January 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: I don't see this as him actually running TOR.

...or running a Tor public exit node.
    Thanks @HalfEatenPie :)

• I don't know how I wasn't supposed to assume that was what you were using it for.

Either way, 2.3TB is just plain greedy for a $5 plan; "BUT THEY SAID UNLIMITED!!!1" is bullshit, it's unlimited to an extent where you don't get abusive.

• heiskaheiska Member
    edited January 2013

@rm_ said: Correct, they can meter all they want, but they shouldn't limit me, or this is false advertising.

There is always a limit. the limit of 1000 mbit connection is 333 TB/month, 100 mbit the limit is 33 TB/mo etc. So there is no such thing as unlimited.

You still have your "unlimited" bandwidth as advertised, it's just unlimited @ less than 1000 mbit/s after X number of bytes transferred. X depends on what you and other people sharing the same port are using, to guarantee fair speeds for everyone. :)

• Ah jeesh not this unlimited vs unmetered crap again. Guys it's 5 bucks a month. Do you really expect to get a full Gbit line to yourself at that price?

edited January 2013

@Freek said: Do you really expect to get a full Gbit line to yourself at that price?

I expect transparent and fair terms of what I can use or how much, not "yea use all you want we don't care", and then suddenly hassle you with unforeseen unpredictable limits.

@heiska said: ou still have your "unlimited" bandwidth as advertised, it's just unlimited @ less than 1000 mbit/s

You must be working for a marketing department of a cellphone carrier.

• heiskaheiska Member
    edited January 2013

@rm_ said: You must be working for a marketing department of a cellphone carrier.

Actually I'm studying computer science at a university, but thanks I guess. :)

• @rm_ said: I expect transparent and fair terms of what I can use or how much, not "yea use all you want we don't care", and then suddenly hassle you with unforeseen unpredictable limits.

Then go complain to DO about it.

• ksecksec Member
    edited January 2013

@Freek said: 1TB is still a lot of B/W.

If you are using it as a Single VPS. Then Yes. Since the bandwidth includes Inter Node communication this will quickly go through the roof if you have a group of them working as a cluster. Although this is properly out of scoop for LET

• They had a big outage issue yesterday. http://pastebay.com/1178240

• There was also 15 minutes of downtime this morning as well

• We spoke with one of our close friends who used to be a very senior person at Rackspace regarding what was the largest attack that he saw at his time there and this attack was 3x the size of the largest attack.

What does Rackspace have to do with anything?

• @MiguelQ said: What does Rackspace have to do with anything?

...Nothing, they were simply stating that the people at DO were talking so an ex-senior network administration (I'm guessing) about the attack, and it was one of the largest either of them have ever seen....

• flyfly Member

worst writeup ever

blah blah because which then while we cloud cloud rackspace amazon ams bgp didnt want to publicize because publicizing is bad but we are releasing this statement

• @MiguelQ said: What does Rackspace have to do with anything?

Rackspace is one of the largest Web Hosting Company by server account, if this DDOS is 3x larger then what they have seen then this is gigantic. Of coz there is also chances that this ex senior work when Rackspace were still small or didn't work long enough to see any big DDOS.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited January 2013

I am sure if it is larger than the largest they would have more problems then small intermittent downtime.

Looks like they removed the blog article.

• these guys are awesome!! just got a $5 credit for successfully setting up a domain with their DNS tool..

• @Jack said: Do they actually give you $5 for that?

It seems they do

• I wonder if this applies to .tk :D