Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• I am reading numbers on ServerBear and it seems CPU is rather weak on Digital Ocean. I guess when people are comparing against &%$ like Rackspace Cloud and AWS EC ( sorry if this offended anyone, but they are REALLY slow ) they surely are much faster. But against many other provider their CPU power is rather slow. Not to mention their Network seems funny. Ping, and Transfer Rate are not too good either.

Is this because they are currently overselling, or they have too many new account to fill and forced to make this decision?

• @iwod said: AWS EC ( sorry if this offended anyone, but they are REALLY slow )

is this some sort of unfunny joke

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited January 2013

Each node come with dual E5 2.0 GHz and 256GB RAM, you will have idea how much number of vps struggle to shared that 24 logical core.

• I think the main thing about DO, Value, Pay by Hour, SnapShot and Scales. You can spend tiny bit of money to have a 96GB Server to play around with. Other Then StormOnDemand i dont know any other provider that does this.

• nfnnfn Veteran

@budingyun said: Each node come with dual E5 2.0 GHz and 256GB RAM, you will have idea how much number of vps struggle to shared that 24 logical core.

But in real life what are the performance differences between this offer and a 4Core KVM/XEN with the same memory (512 to 2GB RAM)?

• Well, so far, it performs quite well and it's 2-5 times better than EDIS in terms of power/$.
    However, since you can have only one IP per VM and DO has only two locations, I will stick with EDIS. http://www.hostingwizard.net/?h=KVM
    HM: ErrantWeb

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Looks like the b/w isn't all that unlimited:

Subject: We've noticed that your bandwidth has been throttled
    X-Mailer: DigitalOcean [version 1.00]

Even though we offer free unlimited bandwidth, we still have to monitor excessive bandwidth usuage. Your account has been flagged for network traffic and we will need to evaluate your account.

Please open a ticket to avoid any future bandwidth restrictions:

https://www.digitalocean.com/support

We aplogize for any inconvenience and hope to deliver the best hosting experience possible.

Dat network speed:

# wget -O /dev/null cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2013-01-24 03:58:46--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

0% [                                              ] 5,840        597B/s  eta 2d 3h   

And this all having transferred only about ~2.3TB.

• @rm_ said: And this all having transferred only about ~2.3TB.

That's just being greedy.

They said on Twitter that they'll be putting a charge on bandwidth in the future, anyway.

• @gubbyte said: That's just being greedy.

And abusive 2.3TB OMFG...

edited January 2013

@gubbyte said: putting a charge on bandwidth

...is one thing, but arbitrarily limiting people based on some unknown thresholds while still touting "Unlimited" is downright shady and is false advertising.

@yomero said: And abusive 2.3TB OMFG...

Nothing to OMFG about :P

• @rm_ said: Nothing to OMFG about :P

No idea if this the case here, but it's generally not total transfer that hurts a host, its speed at fixed points in time. Could be he was bursting very high. If you're operating a sizable colo operation you're likely paying per Mbps . . . and then there is the network equipment that has to handle whatever speed you need.

edited January 2013

Certainly not bursting more than 100 Mbit (and I doubt it ever was higher than 50),
    more like sustained 25+25 Mbit.

• Sustained 25Mbps a lot of the time? That may not seem like a lot to you, but think of the bandwidth cost alone to have you for a customer. I'm not saying their policy or way of presenting it is right, but I can envision them seeing that as a problem.

@Microlinux then they should not sell what they don't have.

• @rm_ Maybe not, but that's kind of the gold standard for shared hosting.

• @rm_ said: only about ~2.3TB

Only? What could someone possibly do to consume that much b/w in just a few days? You are just abusing the shit out and you should not complain.

@chinmoy said: What could someone possibly do to consume that much b/w in just a few days

https://torproject.org/

• https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/tor

I don't believe you can consume 2.3TB when using it for personal use.

• wdqwdq Member
    edited January 2013

From an email I just got from them:

We're so grateful for all of our early adopters and wanted to say thanks by grandfathering your account so you will receive free bandwidth FOREVER!

For everyone else, DigitalOcean will be introducing bandwidth pricing. Plans start with 1TB of bandwidth and will increase incrementally. Once the monthly transfer limit has been exceeded, it is only 2 Cents per GB thereafter.

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited January 2013

I just got that too, not bad.

Hopefully this means they will turn up the ports a bit.

• no unlimited bandwidth from now on. I was always think free bandwidth is not really possible.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

But reasonably how the heck can you use more than 1TB per month of bandwidth; it is so excessive!

• @shovenose said: But reasonably how the heck can you use more than 1TB per month of bandwidth; it is so excessive!

TOR / Large PHP-based Site / Shared/Free VPN

• @shovenose said: But reasonably how the heck can you use more than 1TB per month of bandwidth; it is so excessive!

By running an medium sized adult gallery? ;-) Easy Task, 3-5 TB/per month.

• @wdq said: From an email I just got from them:

We're so grateful for all of our early adopters and wanted to say thanks by grandfathering your account so you will receive free bandwidth FOREVER!

For everyone else, DigitalOcean will be introducing bandwidth pricing. Plans start with 1TB of bandwidth and will increase incrementally. Once the monthly transfer limit has been exceeded, it is only 2 Cents per GB thereafter.

I receive the same email, although I signed up with those guys yesterday only. May be I used to much bandwidth in a day for them to change it for new users. :)

• Too late for "unlimited" sign up?

• @bdtech said: Too late for "unlimited" sign up?

How can we know? Contact them :)

• So for a clarification, I would like to ask this :
    If I registered and created droplets before those email, I still get the unmetered bandwidth?
    What if I destroy thos droplets and created a new one, will it still unmetered?
    And for new customer, will they see the bandwidth limit after creating the droplet?
    And what is the relations with serverstack?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@ErawanArifNugroho I don't even have active vps instance, just one saved image and some $$ credit and I also got this mail so it's like they said - you grandfathered your account not vps instance. "Unmetered" BW is tied to your account not active instances (droplets).

• Ah.. thank you for the answer @Spirit :)