Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@heiska said: Their response: [...]

So they offer SSD but then throttle to HDD speeds to prevent abuse?...

• @Nick_A said: So they offer SSD but then throttle to HDD speeds to prevent abuse?...

Nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone needs 500MB/s on a $5 a month box.

If it keeps performance and price good for myself they can go and throttle all they want (within reason)

@luma said: Nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone needs 500MB/s on a $5 a month box.

Isn't that willfully missing the point, though? It might as well be HDD if it's going to perform like an HDD... In other words, it just becomes a marketing ploy.

Just food for thought.

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited January 2013

@Nick_A said: Isn't that willfully missing the point, though? It might as well be HDD if it's going to perform like an HDD... In other words, it just becomes a marketing ploy.

They probably had to use SSD's on their 256GB RAM nodes or the IO speed would be the bottleneck. The SSD term is pure marketing.

• @Nick_A said: It might as well be HDD if it's going to perform like an HDD...

Consistency is often as, or more, important than unnecessarily ridiculous speeds. You only need as much speed as you need, but you want that to be consistently available -- which is much easier to do with SSDs than HDDs.

• @Nick_A said: So they offer SSD but then throttle to HDD speeds to prevent abuse?...

I think it's only a certain node, mine runs fine.

• @Microlinux said: Consistency is often as, or more, important than unnecessarily ridiculous speeds.

This. Well said.

Obviously, but you can have both :) Plenty of SSD hosts around now who offer double those speeds along with consistency.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@Microlinux said: You only need as much speed as you need

This.

@Nick_A said: Obviously, but you can have both

One for bragging around and other to actually use? Nevermind as long there's enough fools to buy it, correct? :)

• To be honest i think 2000 iops is not good for a SSD host. But Given their price i think that is acceptable.

I also think once they have all their accounts sign up rush done they will start tuning their server for better performance consistency.

edited January 2013

@Spirit said: One for bragging around and other to actually use? Nevermind as long there's enough fools to buy it, correct? :)

Both in the sense of both in one VPS. Not one of each separate.

If you re-read my post, I said plenty of hosts offer speed and consistency on SSDs.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Nick_A said: Plenty of SSD hosts around now who offer double those speeds along with consistency

I would like to find In Europe (NL/UK) XenPV SSD hosts, but it's not easy. If you had something nearby I would like to try.

My actual provider:

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3450 @ 2.67GHz

Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency : 2666.706 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 1007 MB
    Total amount of swap : 1023 MB
    Download speed : (7.97MB/s)
    I/O speed : 114MB/s

DigitalOcean:

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0

Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 502 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    Download speed : (30.5MB/s)
    I/O speed : 332MB/s

Will I loose performance if I switch to DO with 1GB RAM, mainly because of the CPU (I'm using LNMP)?

• @nfn said: Will I loose performance if I switch to DO with 1GB RAM, mainly because of the CPU (I'm using LNMP)?

DO isn't XenPV

• nfnnfn Veteran

@gubbyte said: DO isn't XenPV

I know, but I prefer XenPV to KVM.

• @nfn have you tried allsimple? They offer xen, ssd + uk location http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6385/uk-allsimple.net-xen-ssd-vps-512mb-at-4.40month

Ive had one of their regular boxes for 9 months and its been rock solid so far

• I'm a fan of AllSimple. Stable and very professional

• nfnnfn Veteran

@johannes said: Thanks ... I'll look at.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@Nick_A said: If you re-read my post, I said plenty of hosts offer speed and consistency on SSDs.

Only when you're saying that lets say consistent 100 MB/s isn't decent and perfectly usable result and users actually need more.

@Microlinux said: Consistency is often as, or more, important than unnecessarily ridiculous speeds. You only need as much speed as you need

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Meanwhile DO appears to be DDoS'ed at the moment:

Host                                     Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.0.250                          0.0%    21    0.3   0.4   0.2   0.9   0.2
     2. 10.92.127.254                         15.0%    21    1.7   8.9   1.4  30.2   8.3
     3. 85.26.238.9                            0.0%    20    1.7   2.1   1.6   5.3   0.8
     4. ae52.edge7.Frankfurt1.Level3.net       0.0%    20   88.5  90.4  87.8 129.5   9.2
     5. vlan70.csw2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net      0.0%    20  162.3 164.7 162.1 173.9   4.0
     6. ae-72-72.ebr2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net    0.0%    20  163.0 163.3 162.9 165.0   0.5
     7. ae-23-23.ebr2.London1.Level3.net       0.0%    20  162.1 162.2 162.0 162.9   0.3
     8. ae-42-42.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net      0.0%    20  162.2 162.5 162.2 163.7   0.4
     9. ae-2-2.ebr1.Newark1.Level3.net         0.0%    20  165.8 164.7 162.2 173.2   3.8
    10. ae-1-51.edge3.Newark1.Level3.net       0.0%    20  162.1 170.3 162.0 207.4  14.6
    11. SERVERSTACK.edge3.Newark1.Level3.net  31.6%    20  261.1 261.3 261.0 261.7   0.2
    12. 69.55.60.18                           42.1%    20  278.9 280.3 272.5 288.9   4.6
    13. 208.68.36.3                           36.8%    20  278.3 277.7 268.0 279.5   3.1

And they had a ~30 minute network outage earlier:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/blog_posts/core-network-us1-region-issue-resolution

• DigitalOcean is currently under maintenance and will be back in 30 minutes.

• they should clarify if they are called either DigitalOcean or Digital Ocean

• edited January 2013

Lots of beating on DO. I dont see what's wrong with their service.

My only gripe is their SSD claim, yet delivering normal disk IO. All IO I have tested is completely acceptable for all of my uses.

• @ShardHost said: My only gripe is their SSD claim, yet delivering normal disk IO. All IO I have tested is completely acceptable for all of my uses.

Same here. 223MB/s is acceptable. Especially for the price. And EU location.

• gnugeekgnugeek Member
    edited January 2013

Yes, i noticed my amsterdam node a little bit slow and i thought it was my fault because i made some changes in my nodejs server but seems they have some network problems.

@Spirit said: Only when you're saying that lets say consistent 100 MB/s isn't decent and perfectly usable result and users actually need more.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at at this point. If a company is promoting SSDs but only delivering HDD speeds, that is a marketing ploy. They're not promoting SSD consistency, but rather SSD speed. And the numbers speak for themselves.

That's all I'm saying. Whether their customers are satisfied with those speeds or not is irrelevant.

• @gubbyte said: they should clarify if they are called either DigitalOcean or Digital Ocean

their logo is DigitalOcean

• edited January 2013

"PingdomAlert UP:
    *is UP again at 01/27/2013 06:47:55AM, after 48m of downtime."

"Service: PING
    URL: ****
    Name: ****_ping
    Tag: Default
    Date/Time: 1-27-2013 06:54:18 (GMT - 6)
    Additional Information: 5 packets transmitted, 0 packet loss, time average 87.076195 ms.
    Downtime: 29 minute(s) 58 second(s)"

Hey look at that my monitoring systems work

• @Nick_A said: If a company is promoting SSDs but only delivering HDD speeds, that is a marketing ploy. They're not promoting SSD consistency, but rather SSD speed. And the numbers speak for themselves.

They promote SSD. They offer SSD. They don't say that their speeds are top-notch, so there's no issue.

• gnugeekgnugeek Member
    edited January 2013

ssd drives does not only give great read speed but also incredible random access performance. Even at mechanical disk speeds a ssd drive still give great a performance.

• @Liam said: Not sure if I get free bandwidth. I've had an account for a while but haven't deployed a droplet in a while. Doesn't seem to be a way to check..

They would have emailed you saying you've been grandfathered in