Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• Another attempt with another droplet. Also on NY.

[root@test ~]# sh speedtest.sh
    CPU :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Cores/Freq. : 24 @  1999.999 MHz
    RAM : 92837 MB
    Swap : 0 MB
    Download speed from CacheFly: 2.98MB/s
    Download speed from Atlanta: 3.98MB/s
    Download speed from Dallas: 1.34MB/s
    Download speed from Seattle: 687KB/s
    Download speed from San Jose: 1.10MB/s
    Download speed from Washington: 2.11MB/s
    Download speed from London: 3.33MB/s
    Download speed from France: 3.99MB/s
    Download speed from Haarlem: 4.29MB/s
    Download speed from Rotterdam: 4.00MB/s
    Download speed from Nuremberg: 1.34MB/s
    Download speed from Singapore: 430KB/s
    Download speed from Tokyo: 192KB/s
    Download speed from Sydney: 236KB/s
    Download speed from Perth: 2.91MB/s
    I/O speed :  172 MB/s

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@budingyun said: Cores/Freq. : 24 @ 1999.999 MHz

RAM : 92837 MB

That's one nice little "droplet".

• root@server:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 502 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 20:57,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 36.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.66MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 1.41MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 1.77MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 5.54MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 23.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 1.13MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 1.88MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.92MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.47MB/s
    I/O speed : 215 MB/s

• @rm_ said: That's one nice little "droplet".

rm_ The only problem with that is that they those are only 12 cores - dual Hexa Core Xeon E5 = 12 cores - 24 threads - still, 12 cores...

• @marcm said: rm_ The only problem with that is that they those are only 12 cores - dual Hexa Core Xeon E5 = 12 cores - 24 threads - still, 12 cores...

Yes but also still 160gb of ram left. (they are using 256gb ram)

Does anyone know how long the ssdbear20 coupon can be used?

• @taronyu said: Does anyone know how long the ssdbear20 coupon can be used?

The site states that the coupon will never expire

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@marcm said: The only problem with that is that they those are only 12 cores - dual Hexa Core Xeon E5 = 12 cores - 24 threads - still, 12 cores...

You're quite a party pooper. Who the f*ck cares? 92 GB of RAM on a "LEB" is impressive on its own.

@taronyu said: Yes but also still 160gb of ram left. (they are using 256gb ram)

I wonder do they keep nodes with a lot of free RAM around just in case someone wants a 92GB monster, or do they dynamically move off smaller VPSes to vacate a big chunk of RAM on some node, as soon as you request to create such a droplet.

• I think they just have so many servers there is always atleast a few servers with that available.

• Made an order, used coupon and a 5 USD payment. Thats a 5 month usage for the basic droplet, pretty nice!. Opened a support ticket asking if all ipv4 are static and they answered after exactly 2 minutes. As far as i remember is the fastest support answer i have ever seen.

• @rm_ said: You're quite a party pooper. Who the f*ck cares? 92 GB of RAM on a "LEB" is impressive on its own.

@rm_ - at $960/month it's an affordable "LEB" for sure...
    https://www.digitalocean.com/pricing

• I just run it under 1 hour and didn't even get charged. Still have $26.25 credit in my account. :p

• @budingyun said: I just run it under 1 hour and didn't even get charged. Still have $26.25 credit in my account. :p

I think you get charged for droplets every 24 hours.

• I run for less than 20 minutes then destroy, and get charged USD0.01...dot it twice to test,and get total charged USD0.02...

@budingyun said: I just run it under 1 hour and didn't even get charged. Still have $26.25 credit in my account. :p

• edited January 2013

Created two droplets and destroy it, and charged for $0.15 :)

New York 18 hours  01-17_03:11 01-17_20:50 $0.13
    Amsterdam 3 hours 01-18_00:08 01-18_03:30 $0.02

If I try to download test file from Cachefly :

• New York : Speed max 5MBps
    • Amsterdam : Speed max 41,4MBps

Downloaded my backup files from RamNode, both places can only max at 800kb/s :(

• Ah, im charged $1.44 for 2 droplets. (-_-)

• Anyone tried Joyent in NL? How does Joyent's network compare with DO's in NL?

• @budingyun said: Ah, im charged $1.44 for 2 droplets. (-_-)

Was that in a positive tone, or a negative one?

• @chinmoy said: Anyone tried Joyent in NL? How does Joyent's network compare with DO's in NL?

Well Joyent is much more expensive, compared to DO, so I don't think you can accurately compare the two. http://joyent.com/products/joyent-cloud/pricing

• @chinmoy said: Anyone tried Joyent in NL? How does Joyent's network compare with DO's in NL?

I used them a few months back, consistently great speeds; you also get 20TB of bandwidth per month on your account for free!

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited January 2013

I wonder how robust and ddos proof their network is. Some of these speed tests are not impressive.

• @bdtech said: I wonder how robust and ddos proof their network is. Some of these speed tests are not impressive.

My speeds have been good so far. However for the price, I wouldn't complain :P
    They said on the forum that they don't offer ddos protection, not sure what happens if you're attacked however.

• @taronyu said: Does anyone know how long the ssdbear20 coupon can be used?

They haven't given me an end date, but I can't imagine it'll be ongoing forever.

• @serverbear said: They haven't given me an end date, but I can't imagine it'll be ongoing forever.

Do you know if it is allowed to have multiple accounts? I want to create a second one for a friend that needs it in the future but can't buy it right now.

• @taronyu said: Do you know if it is allowed to have multiple accounts? I want to create a second one for a friend that needs it in the future but can't buy it right now.

then let him create it in the future

• @gubbyte said: then let him create it in the future

But the free $20 is so seductive :p

• @taronyu said: But the free $20 is so seductive :p

what's the point, he won't be able to use the coupon after it expires anyway

• nfnnfn Veteran

Hello,

I'm new here, so be gentle :)

I'm testing DO and looks fine for the price, but I have some notes that would need some clarification.

1. DO only gives you 1 core in the small plans. For a LA(N)MP server, what would be the disadvantage?

2. There is no SWAP. Is this Good or Bad?

3. I read somewhere that they have huge servers with lots of ram (256) and only use 1/2 to give room for upgrades + RAID10 with 500GB SDD disk. How many hosts can we expect to have in one node?

Thanks

1. Probably nothing, nginx en lighttpd are running fine on it. (we are talking about lowendbox here, it is made for everything that is low end. and 2ghz isn't really low end imo)

2. It is kvm so no swap. Advantages? Just the ussual difference between openvz and kvm/xen.

3. I know they use 256gb nodes but I can't tell you how much they sell. Also I can't tell you the full specs.

• @nfn said: There is no SWAP. Is this Good or Bad?

Can't you add a swapfile?

• @Bogdacutuu said: Can't you add a swapfile?

Sure, you can ;)