Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@flam316 said: If I was anyone, I would wait at least a month for this new pricing plan to settle

Yeah sometimes their control panel can get kinda buggy like VNC not connecting, or their panel not loading, could be cause of all the new sign up's bogging down the system.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@earl said: So if you know that other people was getting over 400 MB/s while your only getting 200 MB/s you would be fine with that? really you wouldn't try to get something better?

Of course I would be fine. Better? When I am thirsty I can drink glass or two of water. I can't drink 20 glasses of water at once. Can you drink them 40 at once?
    Sequential I/O throughput test is not best measure of performance but still in case you give to those numbers some big value you have more on a plate than you can take it. Start to worry when number fall under 40 MB/s.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@Spirit said: Sequential I/O throughput test is not best measure of performance

Yeah maybe that's whats being misunderstood cause like I mentioned this particular server seemed to be more than fully loaded cause it literary looked like it was stuck when the droplet was being created which is not a good sign... wish I kept the cachefly test but I think it was around 5-10mbps at the time comparing this to my first server the performance is always half? so why would I want to keep this server?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2013

@earl said: so why would I want to keep this server?

If server don't perform well you should not keep it. That's clear :) But this has nothing to do with 200MB/s - 400MB/s I/O throughput speed test results but rather tests which thrashing disk themself. I host most of my sites on VPS (I am not talking about digitalocean now) who show around 60 MB/s I/O throughput speed and it perform just awesome.
    So if server performance sux move away, but don't give so much importance to those (in both cases high) I/O throughput values. This LEB trend went too far...

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

Yes I used DD as a quick measure of performance of which it did reflect that one server is definitely lower in performance than another, while it may not be the most accurate we have to use a unit of measure to compare one server from another and DD seems to be the easiest to do without having to install programs to benchmark the server.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@flam316 said: I'm not moving off my @ramnode. I got a great discount from them and their performance is better.

And it will only continue to get better!

• You couldn't get me off a RamNode server with a crowbar and a stick of dynamite...

DO is nice for screwing around and trying out what I want to put into production over at RN.

• Got my test box from DigitalOcean today.
    Ping to my ramnode is ~35ms. I choose the NewYork one.
    This would be just test box

• Woah. SSDBEAR20 works without having to input any payment details, giving me 4 months of free trial. Thank you for posting this!

• IMO the most likely host to be threatened should be linode rather than Prometeus and RamNode. I expect to see a corresponding change of plans from linode (though they are too big right now). Competition is good.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@ajit said: MO the most likely host to be threatened should be linode rather than Prometeus and RamNode

Nah, if this was $15, then sure.
    But a 512MB KVM in Europe and US on unmetered gigabit for $5 -- that's not even mentioning all the superb CLOUD features -- is something that goes right onto every LEB provider's radar.

• @yowmamasita said: Woah. SSDBEAR20 works without having to input any payment details, giving me 4 months of free trial. Thank you for posting this!

If I'm not mistaken you still have to add $5 via CC or PayPal to be able to create a droplet.

• @yowmamasita said: Woah. SSDBEAR20 works without having to input any payment details, giving me 4 months of free trial. Thank you for posting this!

You need to input your payment details, otherwise, the droplet only last for 3 hours.

• @rm_ Indeed the DO offer is incredibly compelling with the cloud features. Have been running with them on $5 for over 3 months (on and off usage) and still more to go.

I made an implicit assumption that the LEB hosts have more flexibility and will adapt to the competition more quickly.

• @ajit said: IMO the most likely host to be threatened should be linode.

I agree with this, from what I can see there's a decent number of people moving across. Whether it prompts them to change anything will remain to be seen.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ajit said: I made an implicit assumption that the LEB hosts have more flexibility and will adapt to the competition more quickly.

I don't see how an average dull WHMCS+SolusVM host can adapt to offer the same flexibility as DO. What do they have left, to compete on price and specs? :/ You can't go much cheaper than $5 on those specs, and most couldn't offer unmetered b/w even if they wanted.

• seems good.. i tried creating one and things went smooth..Hope the quality will not degrade later..

• chinmoychinmoy Member
    edited January 2013

@rm_ said: I don't see how an average dull WHMCS+SolusVM host can adapt to offer the same flexibility as DO.

I have to agree with this. While DO's primary target is Linode and if you search twitter, you'll see many Linode customers jumping ship. But the way typical LEB provides has been doing business will be greatly affected as well. They will need to innovate and adapt to retain business. In short, DO wants to catch all the small and medium fishes(which includes both Linode and LEB customers). They do not care about the sharks and whales. Very smart, if you ask me. Like the 37 signals guys say, 'We sell to the Fortune 500,000 not Fortune 500". The business opportunity here is limitless.

And comparing DO with other LEB providers is kind of pointless. They are a VC funded company. They graduated from a leading startup accelarator Techstars(that is when I first heard of them, back in August). Slicehost co-founder Jason Seats is on their board and mentoring them. So, DO is kind of a big deal than the typical LEB provider . They also got Techcrunched yesterday http://tcrn.ch/XaNTLp

• @chinmoy said: And comparing DO with other LEB providers is kind of pointless

like apples and oranges? or a no-brainer-win?

• @chinmoy said: They are a VC funded company.

So what?

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited January 2013

At last i have free time and testing this.

[root@test ~]# sh speedtest.sh
    CPU :  QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Cores/Freq. : 1 @  1999.999 MHz
    RAM : 490 MB
    Swap : 0 MB
    Download speed from CacheFly: 3.57MB/s
    Download speed from Atlanta: 2.15MB/s
    Download speed from Dallas: 1.40MB/s
    Download speed from Seattle: 785KB/s
    Download speed from San Jose: 1016KB/s
    Download speed from Washington: 2.47MB/s
    Download speed from London: 3.24MB/s
    Download speed from France: 4.20MB/s
    Download speed from Haarlem: 4.07MB/s
    Download speed from Rotterdam: 4.31MB/s
    Download speed from Nuremberg: 1.15MB/s
    Download speed from Singapore: 967KB/s
    Download speed from Tokyo: 1.00MB/s
    Download speed from Sydney: 388KB/s
    Download speed from Perth: 1.79MB/s
    I/O speed :  250 MB/s

update: added network speed test.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Reg'd with sB coupon

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2013

Does anyone know what CPU the KVMSSD nodes of @Prometeus use? ( @Maounique )

@budingyun said: At last i have free time and testing this.

Which location? Speedtest is a bit sucky

• Amsterdam, you can see the best speeds are from within europe. I will post mine also when im at home and not on my phone.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited January 2013

@Freek said: Does anyone know what CPU the KVMSSD nodes of @Prometeus use? ( @Maounique )

I think its node pm14 with dual E5-2620 and 64GB of ram.

@Freek said: Which location? Speedtest is a bit sucky

New York.

• You agree that you will NOT use DigitalOcean's services to run a Content Delivery Network.

from their ToS. so i cannot host static contents of my blog s.t. large photos on separate droplets? it may be a kind of CDN.
    it seems too roughly descriptive or too restrictive.

• earlearl Member
    edited January 2013

@ztec said: How do you know for sure it's Amsterdam?

Just to add another thing, I just tunneled using putty and typing google.com takes me to google.nl.

@cause said: it seems too roughly descriptive or too restrictive.

Reading the comments from he Techcrunch article it does seem that they will place harder restrictions on bandwidth usage sometime down the line but not so for now.

• fanfan Veteran

So what?

Act now before they burn everything.

• @earl said: Just to add another thing, I just tunneled using putty and typing google.com takes me to google.nl.

Yeah its a very strange routing issue.

• So far, DigitalOcean is very impressive.