Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean now offers double the memory and SSD on all plans :D

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Mitchel I do think their plans are kinda stupid. It should be totally linear like double every time, or something.

• @shovenose said: @Mitchel I do think their plans are kinda stupid. It should be totally linear like double every time, or something.

Yeah it makes more sense now to just create 2 droplets.

• MitchellMitchell Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: It should be totally linear like double every time, or something.

Exactly, I believe they're going the overselling route now. They have planned all this from the beginning on or a really bad business plan...

• @Mitchell said: a really bad business plan...

I doubt this but the future will tell.

• @ztec said: I doubt this but the future will tell.

Changing all plans and promises after all the social media attention is seen as betray to me, or they have a bad business plan which I doubt too.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@ztec said: Yeah it makes more sense now to just create 2 droplets.

Totally man, and then just run half of your RAM-heavy app/DB/gameserver on one droplet, and the other half on another.

• Also, their performance was partly horrible due to cardless trials

• In my opinion their bandwidth limit is pretty flawed. Couldn't someone just recreate the droplet when it reaches the bandwidth limit?

• The only people that are going to complain about "performance" is you cheapskates at LET. I don't see real DigitalOcean customers complain, so I'm thinking it's just you lot crying because it doesn't meet your shitty standards.

• @rm_ said: Totally man, and then just run half of your RAM-heavy app/DB/gameserver on one droplet, and the other half on another.

Yeah, you get me!

• Decided to run a MW2 server on a droplet. I think I just got a bad one but I couldn't run b3 (and mysql) and a mw2 server without any lagg. I have to say that to run a mw2 server you need a GUI and wine.

• This thread has 500 comments. Wow!

• Well to be fair, their performance aren't great. If Unixbench is any indication. SimpleNode and RamNode are both faster. But if you consider their amount of growth in such short period of time and this is possibly their most saturated and poorest performing period then i think it is still doing pretty well.

That is on the server side... their network side needs some improvements.

• @ksec said: Well to be fair, their performance aren't great. If Unixbench is any indication. SimpleNode and RamNode are both faster. But if you consider their amount of growth in such short period of time and this is possibly their most saturated and poorest performing period then i think it is still doing pretty well.

That is on the server side... their network side needs some improvements.

For the specs, they're cheaper than the providers you mentioned.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Ishaq said: For the specs, they're cheaper than the providers you mentioned.

Not after our standard promotions. $4.88 for 512MB, 20GB SSD, 2TB bandwidth at RamNode. But regardless, it sounds like I put a lot more into my SSD than they do into theirs.

• @Nick_A said: Not after our standard promotions. $4.88 for 512MB, 20GB SSD, 2TB bandwidth at RamNode. But regardless, it sounds like I put a lot more into my SSD than they do into theirs.

You do, You are fare more better than DO. However DO got a EU location. (Currently don't got a server with them anymore)

• @Nick_A said: Not after our standard promotions. $4.88 for 512MB, 20GB SSD, 2TB bandwidth at RamNode. But regardless, it sounds like I put a lot more into my SSD than they do into theirs.

That is the problem, You guys keep changing promotions and what not so each customer has a different price. I pay $5.09 for your services per month.

DO is straight price, no chasing down coupons etc.

I agree your service is good Nick_A but its not the best in the world either, I don't know why you have to be so defensive in this thread.

• Can't beat DO's cloud features for the price

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@luma said: I agree your service is good Nick_A but its not the best in the world either, I don't know why you have to be so defensive in this thread.

Defensive? More like incredulous.

We don't change promotions often at all. That's not even close to the truth. LEB35 has been around for several months. I think it's more accurate to say you don't feel like looking around for coupons.

@luma said: I agree your service is good Nick_A but its not the best in the world either

I'm not at all operating under that idea or arguing that. I was correcting @Ishaq regarding his price comparison, and that is all. I can't speak for the others, but RamNode is actually cheaper for the specs.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited February 2013

Hey guys, calm down.

They both have great services. RamNode however is more premium.

Only advantage DO has is they have an EU location and it's KVM for the same price.

• edited February 2013

@KernelSanders said: Can't beat DO's cloud features for the price

That's because DO doesn't have any cloud feature. No dynamic resize (of anything), no migration, no failover ip, etc You get a normal VPS but nothing more.

PS: my RamNode vps has better CPU and better network speed but my DigitalOcean VPS is too new to conclude in one way or the other.

• @hostingwizard_net said: PS: my RamNode vps has better CPU and better network speed but my DigitalOcean VPS is too new to conclude in one way or the other..

Ramnode also located in The Netherlands? :)

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited February 2013

I don't see you guys bitching about EC2's IO speed and CPU performance.

pls stop bullying do

• @gubbyte said: I don't see you guys bitching about EC2's IO speed and CPU performance.

Because nobody expects it to be good, DO uses SSD's, you would expect good I/O performance from that.

• @Mitchell said: Because nobody expects it to be good

Some of the most popular websites/apps are running on EC2. People are building products that are used by millions on top of EC2.

Just STFU already with "the should be more 'insert whatever you think' because they have SSD". Don't end up with a 'low end' mind.

• "That's because DO doesn't have any cloud feature. No dynamic resize (of anything), no migration, no failover ip, etc You get a normal VPS but nothing more."

Being able to resize, destroy, rebuild, restore from a backup or image. Those are all "cloud" enough for me.

• @chinmoy said: Some of the most popular websites/apps are running on EC2. People are building products that are used by millions on top of EC2.

That doesn't mean that they perform well. Sure, EC2 has some great things going for it, like the massive momentum and the great API, but surely not performance or reliability, for that matter.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited February 2013

@flam316 said: That doesn't mean that they perform well.

http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/case-studies/

You think that amount of companies would stay with EC2 if it wasn't performing well?

Your standards must be very high.

• @Nick_A said: I think it's more accurate to say you don't feel like looking around for coupons.

The problem with coupons is that it complicated things. DO has a more rigid pricing structure which is attractive to customers. The sticker price is what customers see and buy off of and DO's sticker price is slightly lower than Ramnode's. Lots of customers won't bother to look at your coupons and you're probably loosing business because of that.