Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuadIX/Volumedrive downtime... again - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuadIX/Volumedrive downtime... again

Comments

• Trying to improve.

Hmmm people can talk shit dont mean they going to do it. I wanna see results. A proposal ain't going to get you the job done results are. These results show they are doing fuck all

my 2 cents

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Both fair arguments. I've had servers with them on several different occasions and their network has come a long way since even last year.

That being said I never once suggested it be used for production. I said for my purposes it's fine.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2016

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Trying to improve.

Heh, words I've been hearing for years. New crowd rolls in and thinks they're a new brand. Just wait for each generation of hosting enthusiasts to pass and the next one will always "give them a chance." Always the same year after year. Inside burstnet, wherever they are now, always explaining away the downtime and what they've "done" to make sure it "doesn't happen again."

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited January 2016

So, @MarkTurner, quite bored of reading your sales comments and feeling there's something shaddy over there...

1— Where can we see Yokomura or whatever you call it, company records? I've never heard about it other than in LET. Any company office pics/DC as well?

2— Admitting you guys own several DC's, where can we read about it, from legit sources?

3— Assuming you have mentioned that you work for a parent company, while you do hundreds of sales here, what company do you work for? Why do you have that much access to their backend, since you check orders, tickets, etc?

4— IMHO, you seem quite desperate to make sales, since you immediately get on threads about other providers to brag about Delimiter. Did you really get 8 sales in the last 5 hours?

5— How many of you are working there? Why does it take so much time to get a simple email reply?

6— Why do you make your Cloud solutions etc look so special? Are those really that different from other clould offers?

Seriously, main question here is, who is Yokomura or Yomura, w/e you call it?

P.S. Why is www.yomura.com / yomura.com offline?

edited January 2016

@MrGeneral

Sounds like questions you might ask someone over a PM...

Thanked by 2Kris GM2015
  • entrailzentrailz Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:
    MrGeneral

I feel like they're pretty valid to ask in public, consdering theres a lot of shaming made from many parties, doesn't help to have some transparency!

Thanked by 1MikePT

@jarland said:
    MrGeneral

Sounds like he shouldn't be jumping threads to get them more sales, threads about OTHER companies, and I'm sure that if it weren't Mark, he would have already been banned or warned about. It's not ethical. I feel that we'll see things going wrong with Delimiter soon, just a hunch, though. I enjoy reading some of Mark's replies, but most are simply bragging about their DCs, setup, etc. I have seen similar threads about yomura, while none of those included pictures, real documents, proofs, etc.

edited January 2016

MrGeneral said: Sounds like he shouldn't be jumping threads to get them more sales, threads about OTHER companies

No, VolumeDrive specifically called them out here and said they would be offering a "delimiter refugee special" so it's totally appropriate. Read the thread :)

volumedrive said: We will also be releasing in the new year a "Delimeter Refugee Sale" with better service / spec / price point

Thanked by 1Kris

@jarland said:
    No, VolumeDrive specifically called them out here and said they would be offering a "delimiter refugee special" so it's totally appropriate. Read the thread :)

I have, but that was this time, then they both joined on a competition. Look, Jar, I'm well aware there are lot of suckers here, that do it for free servers, etc. They protect each other. I might be an ass, but I don't need to join any LET special Skype group/conversation to make friends, nor do I need anyone to defend me. I simply asked for clarification for quite a few simple questions about a "big company" Yomura is.

edited January 2016

@MrGeneral said:
    I have, but that was this time, then they both joined on a competition. Look, Jar, I'm well aware there are lot of suckers here, that do it for free servers, etc. They protect each other. I might be an ass, but I don't need to join any LET special Skype group/conversation to make friends, nor do I need anyone to defend me. I simply asked for clarification for quite a few simple questions about a "big company" Yomura is.

I'm not standing in your way but it's really out of place and you should make a thread for it, honestly. If you'd like me to split it into another one just let me know.

@jarland the only reason VD offered a refugee sale is because @MarkTurner did it to them on another thread about their downtime.

It's still shady as fuck to try and pounce on a company that is trying to make amends for some shitty stuff that's happened.

Thanked by 2MikePT alexvolk
    edited January 2016

agoldenberg said: trying to make amends

I mean in all honesty though, they've been trying to make amends for their outages since like....2011? My memory may be off but they're not working on anything, just lying about it and giving elaborate explanations each time. That anyone would give them money blows my mind. Taking shots at them, at this point, is justified. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't put in the hours reading this crap over the years, and quite frankly I have. I've been here the whole time, watching and even as a former customer, from back before they ever posted on LE*.

I'm certainly not standing in their way either, as I've said they seem like cool guys, but they suck at providing two things: power and network. They've been lying about improving these two things for years. But... newcomers don't know any of that and people like me are just clueless old timers. I'll still be here when you guys are posting the negative reviews too. I won't be too big to say "I told you so" either. I watch this cycle every few months. You can't communicate it to the people who fall for the lies they post, you just can't. They have to learn for themselves.

Then in a year, you'll be the one trying to talk to the next newcomer and explain to them what kind of crap their money is funding, and they won't listen, and so repeats the cycle...

I'll just be in the corner smiling :)

Newcomer, in this context, is defined as someone who hasn't been following VolumeDrive's history for years. Most of the publicity didn't take place on LET.

Thanked by 2TinyTunnel_Tom Kris

@agoldenberg said:
    jarland the only reason VD offered a refugee sale is because MarkTurner did it to them on another thread about their downtime.

It's still shady as fuck to try and pounce on a company that is trying to make amends for some shitty stuff that's happened.

Agreed. But some people here have special treatment unfortunately and we can observe that while some reputated members act really stupid and nothing happens, while I got instantly banned, being a member that has been here for years, since this begun. Not trying to play a victim here. I enjoy this place, but I am sure it would turn to be a better place if everyone got the same kind of treatment. We'd never see refugee offers for reputaded hosts with active members here, because nor would the mods allow, as the members that are friends with the owners and share Skype IDs. As I said, I might have my defects, as everyone else does, but at least I don't need anyone to defend me and I enjoy a fair, spirit foccused for help community. Not only that, just create a new account and ask something basic. 50% chance to get treated with full disrespect. I urge to say that, most new members sometimes feel scared to ask questions, while in 2010/2011, this community was ran with another spirit, and that, my friends, isn't CC's fault. Its yours. People that keep liking asses, protect each other, form small groups just like small troops. There is a lot of hypocrisy here.

Learn from AnthonySmith, who's a pretty fair person and always willing to help. Think with your brain with no biased answers.

Just my 2 cents. I really had to share it.

• samblingsambling Member
    edited January 2016

The downtime would be incredibly frustrating but you should expect it with VolumeDrive/ Quadix. You are paying peanuts and getting a pretty good, not excellent, service in return. My own experience, through holderhost, with VolumeDrive (subbrand Quadix) is:

Pros:

- Amazingly cheap. Like Seriously WOW.

- Good solid hardware perfect for virtualization.

- Josh is fantastic if you have his contact email. When he's around he can really get stuff done if you're not receiving great support at the help desk.

- Competent staff.

- Fast network.

Cons:

- Understaffed. Leads to mistakes, slow responses and non-resolution of an issue.

- DRAC was pretty bad. Different versions on our dedis + 1 that was unusable after a month.

- Network outages.

- Issues with IPs not resolving and rDNS not being set.

If you absolutely require 99.99% uptime, I would look elsewhere (perhaps IOFLOOD - I did a review of them here). BUT: You are certainly receiving your moneys-worth with a pretty good service.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @agoldenberg said:
    jarland the only reason VD offered a refugee sale is because MarkTurner did it to them on another thread about their downtime.

Perhaps if VolumeDrive/Quadix weren't so shit he wouldn't need to offer refugee sales.

@MrGeneral said:
    So, MarkTurner, quite bored of reading your sales comments and feeling there's something shaddy over there...
    3— Assuming you have mentioned that you work for a parent company, while you do hundreds of sales here, what company do you work for? Why do you have that much access to their backend, since you check orders, tickets, etc?

Delimiter is a sub-company of Yomura (Yomura Holdings) and thus any member of the parent company should have access to the sub-company. They're not a separate company at all from what I've been led to believe.

QuadIX regularly has people bitching about their network and power related issues. Just look at WebHostingTalk's provider outage's section. Every other week that post gets bumped.

I rarely hear of Delimiter having power outages. I've not heard of Yomura much either but if it's just a parent company/legal entity then who really cares? I'm sure everything is above board simply because a quick google pops up stuff such as this: http://www.datacentres.com/news/yomura-holdings-invest-us5-million-new-chicago-data-centre

Lots of people were asking for new providers and so Delimiter stepped in as did a few others offering their services but not on the scale of Delimiter... That was as much down to the users requests and MarkTurner's attempts to try and help people out. Not sure why you gotta bash him for that.

TL;DR - If Quadix sorted their shit none of this would of occurred. They only have themselves to blame.

I agree 100% with @sambling's points.

• agoldenberg said: It's still shady as fuck to try and pounce on a company that is trying to make amends for some shitty stuff that's happened.

Shady and Volume Drive make sense in the same sentence, but not when it's directed towards another party. They ditched Scranton to avoid lessors getting shitty old kit they lapsed on leases for. The current equipment they're renting I purchase for proof of concepts on Black Friday as a hobby. 4GB kits and tiny drives.

When Delimiter ATL becomes anything less than stable, perhaps I'll start questioning things.

I love how you guys are trying to spin this on Delimiter / Yomura, who is owned by a larger company, likely in stealth mode. You don't publish press releases or invest 5 million in data centers when you're trying to hide your company. I tried finding dirt or anything shady on them a while ago. Nothing except a few WHT threads. They're a rather large ISP seemingly.

Meanwhile, where do you think the next VD DC will be when the current lessors get the shaft? Remember needs to be within driving distance so it's a 'maintenance' window, and have Cogent or XO bandwidth. I could cross reference on data center map and make a guess, but I like surprises.

If anyone has a PACER login for the old case against them, hell of a paper trail. PA Middle District, # 3:2013cv02626

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @agoldenberg said:
    I agree 100% with sambling's points.

I don't. I pay peanuts at delimiter the iLO on this box hasnt been rebooted in over 870 days. QuadIX is lucky to reach 87 days. @MrGeneral comes slating Yomura yeah maybe they cant do publicity BUT THEY CAN FUCKING KEEP A SERVER ONLINE. I dont care I can read about them I CARE I CAN READ MY OWN FUCKING WEBSITE.

Thanked by 2MarkTurner Wolf
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

sambling said: Cons:

Not paying their bills is somehow not on the con list? I mean, it should literally put them on the 'cons' list if get the pun.

Anyone that thinks the rebranding to QuadIX was them 'spinning a new side brand' is silly.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Kris TinyTunnel_Tom
    edited January 2016

Merely my opinion and a feeling I got. Getting a post online about a 5M investment is not that hard. Hell you can even send them your press news. I don't believe Yomura owns that many DCs and such. I just don't. IMHO they prolly have colocation but owning an entire DC isn't going to cost only 5M. DCs in Portugal cost at least 50M Euros. There are several threads here where people inquire about DC costs and you can have an idea. Still, there are no official records, pictures, faces and such. As I mentioned, this is merely my opinion, not an accusation nor I'd like to feed those. Remember the troops, they protect each other. There are quite a few LET gangs :p. I couldn't bother less. Nowadays I did register my company, opened a store and am excited to make lots of sales. I don't provide VPS to the international market, I don't advertise here. I gave up on that after trying to provide a trial here and was attacked by many people who spend their whole time here bashing others. I don't see many of those succeeding, though. It's general criticism and hypocrisy. Show me the willingness to help. That's what should exist here.

To complete, going after other providers threads with refugee offers when all that happened is downtime and not a deadpool, isn't ethical, period.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • MrGeneral said: To complete, going after other providers threads with refugee offers when all that happened is downtime and not a deadpool, isn't ethical, period.

No, that's smart business.

Let's say you see it raining outside, and you have a bulk amount of umbrellas, and many who for some reason haven't any. You capitalize and drop sales on your umbrellas and convert.

MrGeneral said: Show me the willingness to help. That's what should exist here.

Keep on the sunny side

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @MrGeneral said:
    To complete, going after other providers threads with refugee offers when all that happened is downtime and not a deadpool, isn't ethical, period.

Nor is not paying your power bills or lying to customers, period.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MrGeneral said:

I agree, I think @MarkTurner needs to be more tactful, but he isn't here to make friends, he's here to move trucks full of equipment.

The threads turned into calling VD out on their bullshit.

Shawn from Burstnet made a comment on WHT saying that at the end of the day when VD ran they stiffed him for 'enough to put his kids through Ivy league medical school'. You can safely assume they owe Shawn mid 6 figures on top of owing Datasales low 6 figures.

Francisco

If you own a company and someone does it un your thread I'm sure you wouldn't like it. There have be some rules, otherwise, this place would be a mess. Is isn't.

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

Agreed, Francisco.

edited January 2016

MrGeneral said: otherwise, this place would be a mess

Right now it's a mess because you keep complaining about things like this:

MrGeneral said: I gave up on that after trying to provide a trial here and was attacked by many people who spend their whole time here bashing others

When it's no where near appropriate to the topic of the thread you're posting in. If you're pushing for a rule, I don't think you're pushing for the one you think you are. If your sole purpose in posting is about how bitter you are about people not accepting you as a provider, is there any reason for you to really be here?

I get it, you feel some sense of maybe what some are saying about VolumeDrive/Quadix is similar to what happened to you, and you're still hurting over it. It isn't, at all. It's based on years of history and this isn't about you.

• @MrGeneral said:

You just don't get it do you?

Quadix pushed their clients away by screwing up, repeatedly. MarkTurner came over representing Delimiter saying he could perhaps try and take people who really are wanting to move. Lots came forward and thus they got this deal setup and approved. MarkTurner represents Delimiter here as much as he represents Yomura it just so happens to be that Yomura doesn't sell services directly.

The refugee offer was created out of a request from clients. If you don't like that, don't purchase a refugee offer. He did not force people to sign up with him and merely left it open as a public offer to people who wished to take him up on it after SEVERAL users asked for it.

As I said before:

TL;DR - If Quadix sorted their shit none of this would of occurred. They only have themselves to blame.

Perhaps if @MarkTurner has some time to waste he might wish to link you to the property listings/locations that Yomura own/operate heavily in... Heck he might even share some pictures.

Several Chicago based reports stated Yomura was putting $5M into Chicago based data centers...

Not to mention:

http://www.usbiz.org/yomura-corp-atlanta-ga-30303-1.us

Also: http://www.manta.com/c/mxdc1ny/yomura-corp

Perhaps @MarkTurner also if he wishes to waste even more time on your little rant at Delimiter (who actually did a service to the community by offering the servers they did) might want to post some more official documentation on Yomura and such but honestly, why does he have to? Even if it was JUST Delimiter as their only brand what would it matter? Even if they have one location like QuadIX does... They still don't screw up as much as Quadix does/have... Sure they drop the ball on sales from what I hear and there are occasional issues but for the most part Delimiter is pretty highly regarded and I'd have no problem hosted my business on a Delimiter server.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited January 2016

MrGeneral said: Sounds like he shouldn't be jumping threads to get them more sales, threads about OTHER companies, and I'm sure that if it weren't Mark, he would have already been banned or warned about. It's not ethical. I feel that we'll see things going wrong with Delimiter soon, just a hunch, though. I enjoy reading some of Mark's replies, but most are simply bragging about their DCs, setup, etc. I have seen similar threads about yomura, while none of those included pictures, real documents, proofs, etc.

These points have been covered in incredible detail before. I think someone has posted some recently on another Delimiter topic.

I haven't made any sales offers in this topic yet, my only reason for commenting was QuadIX's invitation to play.

I don't need to take any action at this time, their customers are disgruntled with all the downtime and network issues - not my words (I am not their customer), they contact various providers to help to get out of the mess they find themselves in. The churn is tremendous and will continue to be until such time as they take action on their infrastructure or hire a consultant to set it up properly.

Why would I be warned, I based my statements on the published facts.

Lets look at those facts:

Fact 1. Do they have excessive downtime? - the answer is a resounding - yes. Not my words, but the words of their current and soon to be former customers. These outages are caused by power and network issues. They admit this in this with some nonsense about a DWDM failure.

Lets analyse that fact alone - based on their statements:

This was handled quickly and we kept everyone up to date during the outage. This was the result of a third-party DWDM system that was upstream and out of our control. Diversified equipment routes are present, but this also caused a systemic network-wide problem.

Point 1: They have two upstream providers - Cogent and Zayo, yet both went down at the same time, taking everyone offline.

The presumption is that the capacity is backhauled to their space and their backhaul went down. Unlikely its protected capacity then. From their website:

Our network consists of multiple transit providers, peers and full redundancy is deployed throughout.

Where was the redundancy? Having one carrier go down, that happens. Having all your transit going down and then saying ‘third-party DWDM’ failure says to me unprotected (non-redundant) backhaul to their transit providers.

Point 2: If they want to argue that only one transit provider went down, then how can that caused a ‘systemic network-wide failure’. Lets define what happens when a circuit carrying IP transit goes down at a basic level: circuit down, BGP times out, the incoming routes from that transit provider are dropped. Its not rocket science, its run of the mill internetworking, we all deal with this every day and we do our utmost to ensure redundancy and failover to minimise disruption.

Charter had a recent maintenance window which affected us amongst others in Charlotte, NC, but because of the design of our network, no customer was disrupted by it and OSPF and BGP did what they were designed and traffic just flowed through the redundant paths. Its called good planning. You have to expect things to fail and do your utmost to work around it.

Things are never going to be perfect and it goes without saying that everyone will be caught out from time-to-time, but the critical thing is to be caught out only once and then post-mortem every part of the incident to ensure it never happens again.

To allow the same issues to keep coming up time and time again, is just negligent. Go back three years ago, Delimiter had some power issues but it took immediate steps to resolve them - the next day. We didn’t wax-lyrical over the incident, we said yes there were problems, yes we’re taking steps and then 48 hours later we’ve completed the steps.

Fact 2. Have they resolved these issues? That is a resounding – no. In my experience customers are prepared to accept issues if you can take steps to prevent or minimise it happening again. But this has to be in the form of actions not just words.

I can see from their UCC reports that they have leased a generator and a UPS recently, hopefully they will install these and maintain them properly so that these power issues maybe finally addressed. But given the size of the UPS is 144KW its not going to protect much equipment, the description shows that the battery cabinet is empty, so its not clear how they will use the UPS. Again not conjecture but actual fact:

This is from the UCC filing made by the people they leased it from. In the same document they are also leasing refurbished hard disks and CPUs:

Are we perfect – no, but we / Delimiter have continually demonstrated our commitment to deal with network and environmental issues in realtime.

Fact 3. VolumeDrive / QuadIX Finances – Whilst I don’t have their financials yet, I can only look at the amount of leasing they have and apply common sense reasoning to it.

Common sense tells me that leasing refurbished disks is a bad game, given that you can buy the same disks on sites like NewEgg, GoHardDrive for $50/unit. Why lease such a low cost unit, you’ll pay through the nose for it. Lease a new unit with a higher life expectancy:

Same with leasing memory sticks or having to finance the installation of circuit breaker:

These are operating costs, you don’t push them off onto a lease.

Lets add to this the well discussed lawsuit where Data Sales Co was suing them for $100k+ for non-payment

http://www.lawsuitdata.com/lawsuit-data/natures-of-suit/contract-lawsuits/other-contract/pennsylvania-middle-district-court/0000477025/data-sales-co-inc-v-volumedrive-inc/officially-filed-court-documents/

That’s seems to still be trotting along, the latest entry seems to be ‘Order on Motion for Contempt’, I don’t have the document so I can’t tell whether its against the plaintiff or the defendant, but it just adds to the concern.

Bottom line

Customers are being assured that these long term issues have been resolved, even in this topic they made a statement:

This has been replaced and new diversification added.

Seems a little fast to be done, most providers are not going to add diversity in 1-2 hours.

We have had 99.9% uptime or better over the last two months and will continue to make sure that our services see 100% uptime in the months and years to come.

I can’t contend this as I was not monitoring QuadIX, but the customers that contacted me to jump to dry ground told be that it’s a categoric lie. Some have posted their rebuttal to that uptime claim in this thread.

The fact for me, if you really had 99.9% uptime in the past two months then we wouldn’t have seen such a churn, such a number of complaints and above all I wouldn’t have been asked for a refugee offer (http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/66029/quadix-refugee-offer)

The power issues are not solved, they don’t have any batteries in that UCC filing for their UPS and given that they had to finance second hand CPUs, disks and antique servers, I really doubt they have the cash to bring that UPS online. UPS’s and generators need regular maintenance, a near twenty year old generator in my opinion is past its usable life. There is one thing to leave it in place and run it because its on-site, its another thing to buy it and try to get it running. These are mission critical pieces of equipment, they have to be bullet proof otherwise its just a false sense of security.

As I said earlier, its not a personal attack on QuadIX/VolumeDrive, in the grand scheme of things they are not big enough to warrant this much attention. They just don’t seem to be able to get their problems under control, there have been on going issues for years from breaching contract with their lease company back in 2013 (?), an unplanned exodus from their last facility for whatever reason, to this new facility they are in that seems to be plagued by power and network issues.

Their quip about Delimiter refugees is ludicrous and astonishingly insensitive to their customers who had just suffered again at the hands of their negligence.

If you are excusing your poor performance to your current customers, then make it genuine sounding even if you don’t mean a word of it. When you try to stem the flow of customers to Delimiter by making silly comments, it just shows that you are not taking your extremely precarious situation seriously. I mean this genuinely.

Why did so many customers churn to Delimiter – of course the ambulance chasing tactic of a refugee offer posted at the right time always helps, but once you strip that away, the ultimate fact is Delimiter has consistently delivered these low cost servers for three years now on reliable/consistent hardware on a reliable network at the right price point.

• Francisco said: I agree, I think @MarkTurner needs to be more tactful, but he isn't here to make friends, he's here to move trucks full of equipment.

Most of the time I am (or at least I believe I am) :) But sometimes you just have to call a spade a spade, no point dressing it.

Thanked by 1Francisco