Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta) - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta)

Comments

• alexnjhalexnjh Member
    edited October 2015

Can't seem to login sometimes

• all my attempts to login are successful. never failed.

• Logging into their daas beta is like the russian roulette for me.

marl said: all my attempts to login are successful. never failed.

• windows server 2012 r2 is terrible for desktop usage. I can't imagine the shit people with windows 8 went through.

• GM2015 said: windows server 2012 r2 is terrible for desktop usage. I can't imagine the shit people with windows 8 went through.

whats up with it?

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015
    1. terrible rights settings from the beginning, probably ovh's fault
    2. why run this thing over vmware-view when a normal server would do with rdp? I can login to amazon aws servers with bashing 1 simple xfreerdp script, with daas I need to paste in my domain login credentials and then select my desktop/server.
    3. tons of error logins with the desktop, might be due to my poor connection now
    4. you need to google where every settings is, they've swapped the admin area/server manager options around that a peasant like myself uses.
    5. to find something, you need to go to start menu and press the "more options" and then only you can search for stuff
    6. folders don't refresh in explorer if you change/zip/unzip files automatically. this is a bug. debian/windows 7/server 08 show the changes to you.
    7. uptime. where's an option showing uptime? I had to google a cmd command to find out that the server's been online in the last few days.
    8. internet connection is a vmware connection where you don't get tons of information about your machine like win 7/server 08 does.
    9. it feels like the server they've installed is bloated from the start.
    10. can't pin my computer to desktop. how stupid is that? I googled a workaround with it, but I didn't bother to fix this.

TarZZ92 said: whats up with it?

Thanked by 1cassa
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited October 2015
    1. Totally OVH's fault

2. more reliable i assume, and never times out for me.

3. not experienced this yet. (are you with virgin media by any chance?)

4. i think it's much easier as it's all based in 1 interface.

5. True, but this is same with windows 8.1

6. was this not a DWM issue? am sure MS patched that.

7. Task manager, but it seems quite unreliable.

8. cannot answer that one.

9. True, Running the likes of firefox on a single E5 core. disaster..

1. It felt very fast when my connection wasn't dying every half an hour.
      3.Yeah, I've been complaining about them on let for 1 month now.
    2. never had windows 8 or 8.1. don't ever want to try it either after server 12.
    3. I edited my answer and tried to post about in answer 10
    4. Really, forgot about that.

TarZZ92 said: not experienced this yet. (are you with virgin media by any chance?)

• those superhubs have a very short timeout problem. you might want to try modem mode

• I tried my old router from 2008 or 2009, but it had dhcp client requests problems which virgin dhcp servers didn't bother to answer more than once.

So I had two days this week when contractors in our house changed our boiler, so you can imagine everything was upside down plus the router plus modem was plugged in and out all day.

In the end, I got tired of rebooting the modem(not possible to reboot the virgin superhub in modem mode) and the router all the time, plus I got shit from my relatives for the internet not working, so I put back everything.

I tried to plugin my router in access point mode to the superhub, but I didn't get internet connection from it today or the days before. I might try it again later.

TarZZ92 said: those superhubs have a very short timeout problem. you might want to try modem mode

• @GM2015 said:
    plus I got shit from my relatives for the internet not working, so I put back everything.

Couldn't read the urgent news on FB?

• No, but my relatives prefer to keep things as they were/are. They seriously put up a rant on why and what did I change with modem and my router.

I'm not a technician and I tried to explain my poor wifi connection upstairs, but it didn't bother them at all. They blamed my computer for that.

They never read the hundreds of customer complaints online about VM's not-so-superhubs.

deadbeef said: Couldn't read the urgent news on FB?

• GM2015 said: explain my poor wifi connection upstairs

use homeplugs :)

• Kill your relatives. It's refreshing, trust me. (echo chamber laughter)

• @GM2015 said:
    windows server 2012 r2 is terrible for desktop usage. I can't imagine the shit people with windows 8 went through.

agree. but, it's free. :)

• @GM2015 said:
    No, but my relatives prefer to keep things as they were/are. They seriously put up a rant on why and what did I change with modem and my router.

I'm not a technician and I tried to explain my poor wifi connection upstairs, but it didn't bother them at all. They blamed my computer for that.

Oh, so you're on the short end of the blame game. Well, it's simple. Setup the modem in a way that you can sabotage it one day when you're away from home and your PC is closed - tell them to fork money for the new one because they broke it and rant about how could they be so irresponsible with the use of the internet :D

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

Anyone else having their desktop dead this morning? I've left my vmware view client logged in overnight and it said No route to host on connecting the desktop this morning.

I closed the client, restarted it and now I can't even connect to the "vmware-view-server" with "Unable to connect to server".

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Just lovely

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

I tried to connect yesterday and didn't work anymore. Web interface was timing out when selecting the desktop.

rm_ said: Just lovely

Actually I didn't click OK, and this message just stays there for a few hours by now, the desktop isn't shut down or rebooted.

• I've never been able to connect with the same users others reported

• I lost all my files of my desktop, today i found it was reset to the default.

• mines not available now.

"The assigned desktop source for this desktop is not currently available......."

• Mine can't connect to the internet even when I'm logged into it. Strange. Not even firefox, openvpn or other stuff work on it.

• cotcot Member

@Baris said:
    I have the issue that my applications do not keep running when I terminate the remote desktop session.

Does anybody know if there is a way to prevent this? Or maybe this is a wanted behaviour to save resouces on the host machine?

I ask because I installed Bluestacks to bot Clash of Clans. I started to play a few days ago but don't want to waste too much time for this game :-).

You need to have another loopback RDP session within your current RDP session. You can refer to the link below for Clash of Clans bot VPS.

http://a.seoclerks.com/linkin/390924/vps-webhosting/391373/VPS-24-7-CoC-bot-service

• Thanks for echoing that, mine got wiped as well. Oh well, not like there was anything important on it.

traceray said: I lost all my files of my desktop, today i found it was reset to the default.

edited October 2015

As for me I was trying to fix something (iirc trying out ways to set up IPv6 tunnel) and ended up disabling the NIC -- turns out the Horizon access is also operating through the same connection, so I lost all access to the desktop, with no way to even reboot it, the only knob that we get is "Restore", which claimed to "Delete applications only". But in reality it just resets everything to a blank state VPS. And I just couldn't bring myself to wrestle with this Windows all over again, starting from remembering how to turn off the stupid auto-lockout and all the way to adding it to my Tinc VPN. So currently it just idles, and sadly there is no "Delete" button.

• Yeah , still useful for browsing and downloading possibly until the next wipe.

I also noticed earlier that if there's no active process on it, when you login the uptime in task manager appeared to be a few seconds or minutes.

• It's not so obvious how to uninstall vmware-view client from debian jessie. It's not like it's in control panel/uninstall vmware view.

I've the 32bit client from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VIEWCLIENTS_LINUX_35&productId=421&rPId=9425.

It was simply sitting in my ~/Downloads/vmware folder.

:~/Downloads/vmware$ ls
    VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

sudo bash VM* -u vmware-horizon-client
    Extracting VMware Installer...done.

I'm making this complaint as http://pubs.vmware.com/horizon-client-linux/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.horizon.linux-client-help.doc/GUID-9B5BE7D9-B4A9-4CBB-9534-7E65A813A751.html didn't work.

VMware-Horizon-Client-3.5.0-2999900.x86.bundle

simply brought up the usual uninstall gui window and it got uninstalled(hopefully).

I will reinstall it, because I've ticked the usb part iniatially which is pointless.