Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta)

Comments

• How much time do you have to wait before the link (to the desktop) actually works? Or is it immediate? Still waiting after 30 minutes..maybe it's not normal.

• @Issam2204 said:
    How much time do you have to wait before the link (to the desktop) actually works? Or is it immediate? Still waiting after 30 minutes..maybe it's not normal.

An email was sent to me almost immediately and it worked right away.

• @hausarzt said:
    An email was sent to me almost immediately and it worked right away.

I also received the email but it doesn't work. I also got an error while creating the instance, saying: "the NIC has reached its limit".

• Looks like a tech problem on their end.

• Any way to enable sound?

• Yep - received details but unable to connect atm.

• Did you try the Teradici driver? I haven't tried it on Runabove's DaaS though.

• @joodle said:
    Any way to enable sound?

Right click on sound icon and then click "Playback devices" and enable it.

Thanked by 2hausarzt BlazeMuis
  • signed up in under 2 mins... Good overall speed.
    Had to reinstall en-US Firefox though.

Threads like this keep me addicted to LET :)

• @Jar said:
    That seemed necessary to you?

too bad you don't develop your own operating system.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Anyone tried launching any kind of a server on these? I tried adding a firewall rule in Windows, even disabling the windows firewall altogether, but it seems like all incoming ports are blocked from their side (on their node or router).

• Got it about half an hour ago, speeds were fantastic and worked instantly using the client app (not browser based) on my mac.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3589785

• You know what, I don't care. I'll make another account so that they can ban me again for no reason. I want those $2.5/m servers.

GM2015 said: I wish they didn't ban my account. Yes, I will echo this event until let burns to the low burning hellpits of drama.

• I don't think you'll be able to run any servers on the desktop, it's behind a NAT'd internal network by the looks of things -

• On second thoughts connecting to desktop to a VPN would allow you to RDP into it and hence setup your own port forwarding over the VPN to access a server.

• @rmlhhd said:
    On second thoughts connecting to desktop to a VPN would allow you to RDP into it and hence setup your own port forwarding over the VPN to access a server.

Tell me how you did this :P

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited September 2015

@joodle said:
    Tell me how you did this :P

Just setup SoftEther VPN (http://blog.lincoln.hk/blog/2013/03/19/softether-on-vps/) on a server somewhere then connect your local PC and the RunAbove desktop to the VPN then open RDP and type the IP of your RunAbove Desktops VPN connection and you should connect.

Username - VIEW\YOURUSERNAME
    Password - Would be in email unless you changed it

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • Signed up, thanks for the heads up!

Pre-installed software is french though. Really want to know what the price will be.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

rmlhhd said: it's behind a NAT'd internal network

It's still a 1:1 NAT (you get a dedicated external IP), and for example Scaleway is the same way, but all ports are forwarded from the external to internal IP at Scaleway.

• Signed Up under 5 min seems fast when using with VMware horizon client From india

• I've downloaded the horizon client, however I get time-out messages.. anyone else have the same sort of issue?

The IP listed in the DAAS is pingable.

• simonindiasimonindia Member
    edited September 2015

use the url sent to u via email

@krs360 said:
    I've downloaded the horizon client, however I get time-out messages.. anyone else have the same sort of issue?

The IP listed in the DAAS is pingable.

• I made a new account and now it's working. Not from the browser though. I had to install VMware horizon. Also:

• I tried it and cant complain. My desktop was online within a minute or so. I connected via browser (yandex on linux mint) and its working like a charm. Those french applications are a bit annoying but who cares...

• @Jar same here mine wont ping

Thanked by 1jar
  • joodle said: Any way to enable sound?

Run services.msc as administrator and enable "windows sound"

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • Make me understand correctly: this desktop will be free for 3 months?

• Cool thanks for the heads up, snagged on to play with.

• @Issam2204 said:
    Make me understand correctly: this desktop will be free for 3 months?

Yes, it's free for 3 months according to RunAbove.

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Can you run bluestacks with it? (GPU)