Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta) - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta)

Comments

• Baris said: Can you run bluestacks with it? (GPU)

it has no virtual GPU. well it does but that vmware thingy. i ran novabench and got 5fps..

Thanked by 1Baris
  • Issam2204Issam2204 Member
    edited September 2015

Can you download vmware horizon for Linux? It needs registration but I can't get the email verification.

If anyone can post a link to download the Linux client (64bit) I'll gladly appreciate it :)

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VIEWCLIENTS_LINUX_35&productId=421&rPId=8669

EDIT: Found a guide on how to install it and the direct link :)

https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/how-to-install-vmware-horizon-view-client-3-5-x64/2222

Thanked by 1ehab
  • So I keep asking myself... who would benefit from such a service?

Thanked by 1hausarzt
  • Linux and Mac users who do not want to dual boot on Windows.

• asalam alekoum
    My case is it tries to connect but closes the window immediately, such logs

2015-09-27 15:47:40.119+03:00: vmware-view 3218| Spawn of vmware-view-usb failed: Failed to execute child process "vmware-view-usb" (No such file or directory) 2015-09-27 15:47:40.119+03:00: vmware-view 3218| ViewUsblib: mmfw_RegisterClient: error opening connection: error 2 (No such file or directory) 2015-09-27 15:47:40.119+03:00: vmware-view 3218| ViewUsblib: ViewUsb_InitLib: cannot connect to vmware-view-usbd: mmfw_ret=1 2015-09-27 15:47:40.119+03:00: vmware-view 3218| CdkViewUsb_Init: ViewUsb_InitLib returned ViewUsbStatus_UsbdCommsFailure 2015-09-27 15:47:40.119+03:00: vmware-view 3218| CdkViewUsb_Init: (is vmware-view-usbd running?) 2015-09-27 15:47:40.281+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): REMOTEMKS: Failed to load VDP plugin. 2015-09-27 15:47:40.348+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): VmdbCnxControlCb: pendingSubscribeReq was released with ret -32. 2015-09-27 15:47:40.349+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): CreateMKSInterface: Remote MKS not yet present, queueing CheckForMount 2015-09-27 15:47:40.349+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): Caught child exit with status 0xff00, requesting container exit 2015-09-27 15:47:40.349+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): ProcessPollCb: received exit request, shutting down... 2015-09-27 15:47:40.349+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): Vmdb_SetCurrentPath Failed: /vm/#0/type/sub/mountState/req/#6/ (Schema path not found) 2015-09-27 15:47:50.351+03:00: vmware-view 3218| rmksContainer(3265): Killing vmware-remotemks child: cc2

if you or any resolved such issue would be nice to know how to fix.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Issam2204 said:
    Linux and Mac users who do not want to dual boot on Windows.

HitLeap and other windows SEO shit, I believe, youtube "views", things like that.

• @ehab said:

I simply followed the guide on Ubuntu 14.04.3 x64 and it works perfectly. I run:

vmware

and it works.

• ok, just did an update and it works now :D

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • Another member is already using this IP address to run a HitLeap Viewer. Please use a different IP address.

I can't use hitleap its shared ip >

• Works like a charm, thanks for the heads up OP.

Now I just need to find any use for this.

• Thanked by 1rm_
  • hausarzthausarzt Member
    edited September 2015

@zeitgeist said:
    So I keep asking myself... who would benefit from such a service?

@Maounique said:
    HitLeap and other windows SEO shit, I believe, youtube "views", things like that.

Is this still a thing in 2015? As if Google wouldn't know one's not coming from a residential IP address. It would be super easy to filter out this traffic for the statistics.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

How many can you launch? I just regged a new account from an affiliate and I'm not even prompted to validate anything.

edit: How do you get admin rights? I can't do shit on this.

I'm on "view/blablausername"

edit2:Scheduled update wtf. still can't see admin right or wtf. no users other than my own on the desktop. I guess they fucked up something. I don't get it how others have admin rights.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Such bureau, very virtuel, wow

Thanked by 1Anna_Parker
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

How to delete a created desktop?

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited September 2015

It's fun, but what's the use-case? Does any of you use it for anything useful?

• chrisp said: It's fun, but what's the use-case? Does any of you use it for anything useful?

have access to windows on a android tablet :) fully portable

• So has anyone tried opening a web session to the desktop from within the desktop?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@zeitgeist said:
    So has anyone tried opening a web session to the desktop from within the desktop?

Deskception!

Thanked by 1Issam2204
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Jokes aside, I actually use something like this for a long time at home: I have my desktop apps running on a home server, then connect to it via VNC from various places.
    The benefit is that no matter which computer I use, be it at home, at work or anywhere else (using a netbook), if it has a VNC client, I instantly get access to the same set of apps not just already installed and configured the way I like, but also already launched and in exactly the same state as I left them off the last time.
    E.g. my browser with random tabs that I was reading down to the exact detail of which page was scrolled down to where, IRC and IM clients with conversations half way, also all my E-Mail, torrents, etc.
    And the VNC client doesn't even need a powerful computer, e.g. for some time I was accessing this from an MK802, a 3-watt completely silent ARM-based Android TV stick (running Debian).

Suppose I could do the same except with the server at OVH now. But it'll have a higher latency for me, and most importantly there is the issue of trust. I.e. would I login to sites such as Internet banking from this bureau virtuel. Heck, I don't think I would trust it even some of the less important passwords. But I guess OVH expects that you will.

• Well, admin access will hopefully work after their update. Banking stuff should only be done from your office or home I think.

rm_ said: Jokes aside, I actually use something like this for a long time at home: I have my desktop running on a server at home, then connect to it via VNC from various places. The benefit is that no matter which computer I use, be it at home, at work or anywhere else (from a netbook), if it has a VNC client, I instantly get access to the same set of apps not just already installed and configured the way I like, but also already launched and in exactly the same state as I left them off the last time. E.g. my browser with random tabs that I was reading down to the exact detail of which page was scrolled down to where, IRC and IM clients with conversations half way, also all my E-Mail, torrents, etc. And the VNC client doesn't even need a powerful computer, e.g. for some time I was accessing this from an MK802, a 3-watt completely silent ARM-based Android TV stick (running Debian).>Suppose I could do the same except with the server at OVH now. But it'll have a higher latency for me, and most importantly there is the issue of trust. I.e. would I login to sites such as Internet banking from this bureau virtuel. Heck, I don't think I would trust it even some of the less important passwords. But I guess OVH expects that you will.

• First day my "deskaas" got lost, today I can't connect. But hey it's beta..

• ehabehab Member
    edited September 2015

@asf said:
    First day my "deskaas" got lost, today I can't connect. But hey it's beta..

& free.

Thanked by 1asf
  • abatabat Member
    edited September 2015

Strangely I can't type M's on mine, they come out as commas. Very odd.

EDIT: Fixed it by changing language and input method.

• @abat said:

Switch the keyboard layout to match your own?

• @abat said:

you need a new keyboard with working M ,, j/k ... check keyboard support and regional settings ... anymore questions like this and it means you need to spend time checking windows

• manlivomanlivo Member
    edited September 2015

I got a error

The assigned desktop source for this desktop is not currently available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Anyone know how to make this work properly on a QHD+ display? RDP works fine and autoscales on my other boxes but the VMWare Horizon just strains my eyes. It looks like it has been nobbled in the setting as I can't change the scaling where you normally can.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

Default security policy is fucking stupid. Why am I prompted for my god damned password all the time? Copy pasting it into the browser is juts a PIA.
    http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/bambooteamblog/archive/2013/01/29/how-to-manage-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

• GM2015 said: Default security policy is fucking stupid. Why am I prompted for my god damned password all the time? Copy pasting it into the browser is juts a PIA. http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/bambooteamblog/archive/2013/01/29/how-to-manage-user-account-control-uac-in-windows-server-2012.aspx

wont work.. even when you pass the logon thing