Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta) - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runabove launches Desktop as a Service (Beta)

Comments

• I was able to connect now. But unfortunately seems to be unstable and I get disconnected.

And now it says, error http 503

So, it's really broken currently hehe.

• jbarrjbarr Member
    edited September 2015

Seems they have a referral service as well.

Click here...

http://runabove.me/DWFF

...sign up, and I get $10 credit after first paid bill.

Pretty cool!

• How can I delete and create my desktop again?

• SteveSteve Member
    edited September 2015

linuxthefish said: Does anyone else have the IP 151.80.166.169 ?

I have this I.P. I thought these came with a dedicated I.P?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

They don't have dedicated IPs.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited September 2015

anyone got rdp working on debian? browser usage is so insecure with passing logins via a god-damn browser, even if it's https. I'm not using important login details, but over on that desktop, but it's still annoys me that freerdp doesn't work with this.
    nevermind, got this working

#Download from https://www.vmware.com/go/viewclients#linux
    #I couldn't get the file without making an account
    #installs the client
    sudo bash VMware-Horizon-Client*
    #launches the client
    vmware-view

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Just tried it out. Pretty cool that it works in the browser. Just used it to browse the web a bit, not really that fast. Don't really see how this could be used as an actually remote desktop to work on, way too slow/laggy from the Netherlands (ping about 20 ms).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

vfuse said: Just tried it out. Pretty cool that it works in the browser. Just used it to browse the web a bit, not really that fast. Don't really see how this could be used as an actually remote desktop to work on, way too slow/laggy from the Netherlands (ping about 20 ms).

I think it should be a lot faster using the actual Horizon client (didn't try it myself though).

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@rm_ said:
    I think it should be a lot faster using the actual Horizon client (didn't try it myself though).

On os x the horizon client doesn't work, it connects and I can see the windows 2012 login screen but stops right after.

• Wow quite fast no lag.

• vfuse said: On os x the horizon client doesn't work, it connects and I can see the windows 2012 login screen but stops right after.

Here with OS X 10.11 on a MacBook Pro no problem

• Works fine for me. If it's cheap I'll buy it.

• did any succeed in reaching machine ports? i allowed in windows firewall and in runabove cp but cannot connect! or is it ports not forwarded at all and won't be in beta phase?

• Hi, is there any way to use normal remote desktop application with windows to connect this instance? any idea

• Anyone else realised that using vmware-view client on debian the remote desktop automatically grabs your home/office locally mounted usb drives?

• sovielsoviel Member
    edited October 2015

ehab said: and in runabove cp

Where do you do this? I looked, but I was unable to find it.

• Any hints on how to make this crap work?

• I've done what you said with disk cleanup, freed up 2 or 3 gigs, also ran robocopy to erase the entire folder and my server died after restart after multiple "restores". It's probably my fault with robocopy nuking the folder.

linuxthefish said: Run windows disk cleanup and delete C:\Windows\winsxs to get around 10GB extra free disk

• @GM2015 said:
    Anyone else realised that using vmware-view client on debian the remote desktop automatically grabs your home/office locally mounted usb drives?

With Windows I could choose whether I wanted to install the USB feature or not.

• Now that you say that, I remember approving some usb feature before installing.

Baris said: With Windows I could choose whether I wanted to install the USB feature or not.

• I have the issue that my applications do not keep running when I terminate the remote desktop session.

Does anybody know if there is a way to prevent this? Or maybe this is a wanted behaviour to save resouces on the host machine?

I ask because I installed Bluestacks to bot Clash of Clans. I started to play a few days ago but don't want to waste too much time for this game :-).

• @Baris said:
    I have the issue that my applications do not keep running when I terminate the remote desktop session.

Does anybody know if there is a way to prevent this? Or maybe this is a wanted behaviour to save resouces on the host machine?

I ask because I installed Bluestacks to bot Clash of Clans. I started to play a few days ago but don't want to waste too much time for this game :-).

i have stream spotify and when i terminate it's still playing, i know coz i can see in last.fm that it is still scrobbling.

Thanked by 1Baris
  • @marl said:
    i have stream spotify and when i terminate it's still playing, i know coz i can see in last.fm that it is still scrobbling.

Thank you. Then it has something to do with the software I run.

• I get a lot of times the desktop is unavailabe message. There's not too many options either to reboot your server or something.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

Mine works perfectly, I also set up Tinc VPN and now simply connect to it by RDP, with none of that Horizon b/s.

However still can't think of any practical use. NATed IP with no open ports (and not even IPv6) is a deal breaker.

It does download/seed torrents really well, however not much disk space for torrents, and I don't need a seedbox anyway.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

I really don't understand how a desktop "as a service" is different than a windows virtual server used for windows automated stuff/desktop/whatever.

I don't know what idea ovh had when their runabove sandbox windows servers already sounded fine if you survived the verifications/bans, which I didn't.

rm_ said: Mine works perfectly, I also set up Tinc VPN and now simply connect to it by RDP, with none of that Horizon b/s.

However still can't think of any practical use. NATed IP with no open ports (and not even IPv6) is a deal breaker.

• Just got this damnit xD

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • Mine just gets a blank screen after connecting and returns to the wm-view client screen.

joodle said: Just got this damnit xD

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • I was able to reach ports on my instance from the outside with ngrok. Seriously, this tool is awesome.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • are your desktop restarting everyday? every time after i login my uptime is 8 or 9 hours uptime