Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and offers? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and offers?

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@jcaleb said: In the past, is Black Friday a big day in LET/LEB?

@jcaleb - I have only joined LET in March this year with VPSNodeBox. But traditionally in the US Black Friday is the day when businesses actually turn a profit :) - You won't see me standing in line on Black Friday or order online on Cyber Monday, that's for sure. I find better deals on mostly everything throughout the year anyway. We will definitively have $7 offers for Black Friday, both Xen and KVM.

@Taz said: And still no one thanks me :(

@Taz - For what?

• gameongameon Member
    edited November 2012

Can we get back to topic plz :p

• Nvm. Discussing with you is hopeless. I will need to stop wasting my limited data

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz said: Nvm. Discussing with you is hopeless. I will need to stop wasting my limited data

Thank you Lord Jesus - Amen.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@concerto49 said: Heard Uncle Sal had issues with massive amounts of smaller plans.

I hit a bad kernel series while I was trying to pack some hundreds of small plans on a big node. The kernel issues were solved, but in the meanwhile the idea to having a node with so much vps on it was abandoned :-)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said: I wonder if uncle sal @prometeus has any offer for the community for this occasion =)

Maybe ;-)

• @prometeus said: Maybe ;-)

Things get interesting now..

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Thanks for taging me :P

I've got plenty of spare space for some awesome deals, too bad that I can't post an offer yet :/ . Will most likely post on WHT and give information via PMs on LET if anyone is interested

• @Taz said: Why should? No one is stopping you from selling 128mb for 7$.

Thanks Taz, maybe for Black Friday we'll try increasing prices instead of decreasing. Who knows. Might work.

$7/month
    1 CPU @ 10%
    128MB RAM
    1GB HDD
    OpenVZ

How does that sound? Any takers?

• hoping to see a cheap windows vps offer :)

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: too bad that I can't post an offer

I suggest to start two threads, one for BF, the other one for CM where providers would be able to post specific, time-limited* offers that wouldn't count against the rule of one offer every 15 days.
    That would be good for every one.

*48h to cover the whole world. @Chief @Liam

• @Ruriko if you're paying for your own [legal] license, then just maybe you will ... (hehe)

• We'll have some KVM deals ready on Black Friday :) (they're already ready, we just need to start our HB migration)

• LeeLee Veteran

Personally I think raising the limit to $10 is not a bad idea and it’s still a good budget for a Low End deal. There are far too many loss leaders being advertised on here these days which is of course the responsibility of the provider to deliver and manage however I do feel that a lot of providers are being forced into deals they don’t want to offer so that they can get airtime in the hope that people will visit their site and sign up to something more.

Marketing 101 perhaps but at the same time the $7 offer seems to be causing a restriction on fair competition than encouraging it and I am sure what we want is as many “good” offers as we can all get.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@W1V_Lee said: a lot of providers are being forced into deals they don’t want to offer

:O didn't know someone was standing with a gun at providers' heads to force them send offers to LEB. Silly me, I thought they were lining up voluntarily to get their offers posted.
    @W1V_Lee if you suck at this market then it's not your market, please go away.
    don't try to be greedy, earn all money in the world, and turn LEB/LET into a cesspool like WHT.

• @rm_ said: Silly me, I thought they were lining up voluntarily to get their offers posted.

@W1V_Lee if you suck at this market then it's not your market, please go away.

Completely agree. If people are doing it, I don't know why. As a provider we're here to run a business and not a hobby. I don't know how people calculate profit, but ours includes support and all the overheads - not: sales - cost of server = profit. If we can't do it, we won't be offering those plans end of story.

LET is LET. $7 is $7. Play by the rules. We have non-LET offerings. Cater for different markets. What's wrong?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Not gonna lie, I'm actually shocked and pretty disappointed at the amount of talk from people about changing the pricing scheme of LEB/LET.

When LEB first started, setting that $7 limit allowed for finding some really low cost deals, and a lot more work was put into keeping things minimal. There was the original LEB script. There were competitions for producing websites with the smallest size code. Finding a 512mb VPS for $7 would have been impressive, let alone 2GB...

Basically what I'm saying is, the community is moving too far away from where it first started. The majority of people around here do not need 2GB of RAM on a VPS.. if they needed anything that hungry, they'd get a dedi. Most of us are here for LOW END boxes, and offers like BuyVM's $15/year deal are what people should be competing with, rather than trying to bump up the price, just to get a dedicated 2GB in a Xen or KVM box, when you're never going to use all that RAM anyway.

Get a grip. It's $7, and certainly shouldn't be changing. Inflation costs etc. do not justify putting the cost up by nearly 50%. The ONLY thing that could potentially justify a price change is increased ipv4 costs. I expect to see quite a few "ipv6 only" deals within the coming months.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@liamwithers said: Get a grip. It's $7, and certainly shouldn't be changing. Inflation costs etc. do not justify putting the cost up by nearly 50%. The ONLY thing that could potentially justify a price change is increased ipv4 costs. I expect to see quite a few "ipv6 only" deals within the coming months.

I agree. I'm expecting to see many deadpooled hosts as well in the first half of 2013.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited November 2012

@rm_ Don't be a prick all your life it will get tiring, your dummy is over there in the corner if you want to put it back in.

It was a view that is all, I clearly stated that ultimately it was down to the provider and their marketing if they want to offer a low end plan, so read rather than reply with yet another of your pointless retorts.

• @liamwithers said: The majority of people around here do not need 2GB of RAM on a VPS

Wrong, otherwise why do people buy them? If I needed less than 2GB I'd spend less and get less. There's no point in buying resources you don't need and get bad service with it.

• @gubbyte said: Wrong, otherwise why do people buy them? If I needed less than 2GB I'd spend less and get less. There's no point in buying resources you don't need and get bad service with it.

It's mentality. The mind thinks if we can get 1GB for $7 good. But woah we can get 2GB for $7. The more the merrier. Even better.

That's how some minds work.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2012

@gubbyte said: Wrong, otherwise why do people buy them? If I needed less than 2GB I'd spend less and get less. There's no point in buying resources you don't need and get bad service with it.

You personally may need 2GB. I said the MAJORITY. Before very recent times, Chris was the only provider with 2GB VPS, and whilst yes I'm sure he sold a lot, I very much doubt that the amount of RAM provided was needed.

When faced with the option though, of having something such as a $5.95 512mb from BuyVM, or a $7 2GB, it's usually more tempting to go with the 2GB, even if only little resources are used. Having said that, BuyVM have always been considered to have very low pricing, and lead the way for a decent amount of time... it's only been more recently when they've had any real pricing competition.

EDIT:

@concerto49 said: It's mentality. The mind thinks if we can get 1GB for $7 good. But woah we can get 2GB for $7. The more the merrier. Even better.

That's how some minds work.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say @gubbyte

• Lifting the limit would allow more sellers here offer different configs.

• @liamwithers said: You personally may need 2GB. I said the MAJORITY.

I agree. Most people here could probably easily run a website with 1 million hits/day on 2-3 128mb boxes. However for things like Minecraft servers 2gb RAM are actually needed.

However i am here because of the creap/lowend servers. If i wanted other deals i could just go to WHT.

If anything the 7$/month should be decreased to 5$/month or less.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@liamwithers said: Not gonna lie, I'm actually shocked and pretty disappointed at the amount of talk from people about changing the pricing scheme of LEB/LET.

When LEB first started, setting that $7 limit allowed for finding some really low cost deals, and a lot more work was put into keeping things minimal. There was the original LEB script. There were competitions for producing websites with the smallest size code. Finding a 512mb VPS for $7 would have been impressive, let alone 2GB...

Basically what I'm saying is, the community is moving too far away from where it first started. The majority of people around here do not need 2GB of RAM on a VPS.. if they needed anything that hungry, they'd get a dedi. Most of us are here for LOW END boxes, and offers like BuyVM's $15/year deal are what people should be competing with, rather than trying to bump up the price, just to get a dedicated 2GB in a Xen or KVM box, when you're never going to use all that RAM anyway.

Get a grip. It's $7, and certainly shouldn't be changing. Inflation costs etc. do not justify putting the cost up by nearly 50%. The ONLY thing that could potentially justify a price change is increased ipv4 costs. I expect to see quite a few "ipv6 only" deals within the coming months.

Good post! It's pretty obvious that some newer LEB hosts see potential in 10$ threshold to be more competative with those few 2GB memory hosts however it would change nothing for them because then they will compete with host which suddenly offer 4GB memory VPSs for those 10$.

Beside that no matter how big business opportunity some hosts see in this community it's not about them, it was never about them and in their ignorance they have no clue what LEB is about at all. Hint:

**Some of us are paying hundreds or thousands of dollars per month on a dedicated server with multiple cores, gigabytes of memory and a huge disk array. Some of us, however, only have a few bucks spare each month to pay for a low end box…

This website is dedicated for running websites and services on low end virtual private servers, where you only need to pay a few dollars a month to get full root access. Most of them will be CPU, memory, space and bandwidth limited, but can still be a work horse if tuned properly.**

If some host can offer big 2GB memory VPSs for so low price and this work for them and their clients it's fine.. erm.. no, it's great! However do we really need to make this as LEB standard? What's for? There are other sites, other markets dedicated to selling big boxes... while this is LOW END BOX community.
    I would really hate to see LEB spirit killed by the interests of hosts which aren't suitable for this market acting that it's actually about interests of us, low end box consumers.

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited November 2012

Here is what we are officially going to have Cyber Monday

Door Buster
    2vcpu cores
    2gb ram
    25 gb space
    1000gb bandwidth

$4.95
    First 10 purchases get Second Month free (open to already signed up customers)
    Total of 20 available

Coupon for 20% off all vps and hosting

• I was thinking about what @liamwithers posted, before he posted it.

Perhaps, we should be discouraging any sales that aren't low end by definition. Not to kick CVPS too much more (am recovering from doing that), but their on paper spec isn't a low end definition. They only qualify by dragging the box performance way down, overselling, etc. They've priced the plan to scam the market rules and stand out like a red hot poker.

Banning 2GB offers would be a good start in preserving the spirit of LEB/LET.

So fine, don't raise the inflation adjust ceiling on pricing. Instead define and lower the specs of what can be posted.

1 core maximum

CPU speed of less than 2Ghz
    512MB of RAM maximum
    40GB of disk or less (no SSD and exotic RAID)
    Monthly bandwidth of 500GB or LESS

• So @pubcrawler why should there be no ssd or exotic raid? and less than 2 ghz? Is there a vps company out there with cpu's less than 2ghz now? That number is all how you work it also, basically with ours per each 256 megs of memory you get about 400-500 mhz that you can use but can burst to a full core speed if available.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@pubcrawler said: So fine, don't raise the inflation adjust ceiling on pricing. Instead define and lower the specs of what can be posted.

You must be kidding, one can't be proposing anything THAT stupid for real.

• @pubcrawler said: So fine, don't raise the inflation adjust ceiling on pricing. Instead define and lower the specs of what can be posted.

Surely that would only encourages the race to the bottom in terms of price? Once you take away the ability for providers to diversify in terms of spec, price will be the main focus of buyers.