Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and offers? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and offers?

Comments

• TazTaz Member
    edited November 2012

@kbeezie

Also I love the argument of "well why not just offer 512MB Xen"... versus 2GB openvz? just how smart do you think most of your customers are?

I am pretty sure you are talking about your client base. Cause those who looks for xen or kvm tends to know what they will get and what not. Linode sells more 512mb at 20$ then Chicago sells on their 5$ 2gb. You are targetting wrong client base.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited November 2012

I'm more than happy to pay more knowing that the provider doesn't need to sell more to make that node profitable. Maybe that's just me though.

This whole 2GB for sub $5 is getting out of hand.

• @Taz said: @jcaleb business has its cost. New comer wants to get in ? They can offer something unique? Maybe sell at loss and count those as advertising cost to gain new clients and hope they will upgrade to next plan or give you more visibility? Mind you, some host pays 100+$/client on affiliate commission alone and those Client only pays 5$/mo. Forget the additional AdSense ads and other costs.

Well, you are starting to see my point :-) The problem with the web hosting industry is the same as with the transportation industry: they are both fractured, and in both there are a couple of huge players and lots of little insignificant players like us here. And there are other industries that are so united to the point where they have their own lobbyists. By raising the price point to $10 I believe that the cut throat pricing will be discouraged and instead providers will compete for each customer by offering better services. A more united community is far far better than a fractured one. So I am for unity!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

will compete for each customer by offering better services

Already how it happens. I don't see the race to low price. I see CVPS and a couple others at most. The rest don't try to do that. Forgive me, but it sounds like a manufactured crisis. I don't see the problem that's being referenced. Cherry picking a few LEB posts to make the point doesn't really do the job. You have to look at all of them. All I'm taking from this is jealousy that CVPS doesn't dead pool over their 2GB for $5 or $7. Competition that seems unreasonable but just won't die should make you mad. If you can't compete, you'll lose customers that want that. You can't drive them out with pitchforks, you have to accept it or convince customers that you compete elsewhere.

• @marcm I don't see the price point changing because I think many people goes here because of budget constraint.

• @marcm you failed to see my point. Bite those as your advertising cost. Still cheaper then AdSense. You do not need to compete with shit you can't compete with. There are plenty of fish in the sea and we have 7 sea where let is only one.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@jarland said: Because the purpose is to focus on what comes closer to defying the standard and encourages people to try harder to provide more for less, or to encourage users to do more with less. That's the kind of encouragement that breeds a more consumer focused market. With the prices of everything related to this industry falling through the floor in the last year, if there's anything we should be discussing it's lowering it, not raising it. It is more possible to provide quality service at $7 today than it was 2 years ago.

Where is the thanks button. :)

The people who argue for raising the limit, are mostly wannabe providers who see others provide 2GB of RAM for $7, want to compete by offering 2GB too, but are too inept to make it work as well as those other providers can. Hence the "let's just change the very thing that defines the LEB since it's very beginning, so that it better suites our business model" posts that come up every now and then.

I say don't chase 2GB, just offer 512MB or 1GB of RAM at $7, stand out on quality of service and support instead.

• There are lots of factors too when people are selecting provider. Not only RAM.

• @jarland said: Forgive me, but it sounds like a manufactured crisis.

It is an idea, not a crisis, I have said it before. I think that it can be discussed.

That being said I can see the flip side of this as well, so I understand what @Taz and @jcaleb are saying. I am not so concerned with the budget of most people, because just as they pay for gas, food, not to mention that expensive Starbucks coffee (@jarland I like your ad in regards to that), they can as well pay a little more... for a little more.

Now the flit side that I am talking about would be that by increasing the limit to $10 it would also allow some of those big monopolies to enter this market, if nothing else, just to advertise. That is why I have said that a discussion about this would have its merits, as I would like to see every possible side to this.

• @marcm said: limit to $10 it would also allow some of those big monopolies to enter this market

but we are niche. If many companies can fit our requirements, we wont be niche anymore

• TazTaz Member
    edited November 2012

You want to advertise on Lowendnetwork with 10$, there is an advertise link right next to you which takes you to buysellads. Sell 100$/mo vps with those ads no one will complain.

• Good points @Taz. Most businesses have customer acquisition costs and they are rather high.

Anyone know of a VPS with 1TB of disk space? Found one in Chicago, with only 1GB of RAM for $22/mo. OVH dedicated server has twice the RAM for $2 more a month :)

Agree as becoming usual with @serverbear. Underselling on price to me means subsidizing with other customers (the CVPS model). I want providers I use to perform as advertised and remain healthy.

@jarland,

Datacenters compete too, and new ones are popping up all the time.>

Tons of way empty datacenters out there, contrary to the marketing hype and venture capital spending. We ought to be seeing 1U colo < $30 a month for 1A and whatever pipe. Half racks, ummm $200 or less a month. Full racks $350 a month. But, we aren't except in very limited lower end locations.

The VPS market is quite the mess. It's just like the Cpanel hosting industry. Tons of outside invaders who own zero and rent everything. "Real companies" who truly aren't real. 24/7 support that never existed. Backups, that never work. List goes on and on.

The more this site and comparison sites like @serverbear is constructing do to differentiate company A from company B, the better.

• @jcaleb said: but we are niche. If many companies can fit our requirements, we wont be niche anymore

@jcaleb That is true, and this is why I wanted to get other's opinions about this. I am not a person with a one sided view on any issue, so I like to get as much input as possible. I can offer $7 VPS servers for this community, just as before. Yes, I would like to offer more resources for $10, just like I mentioned in one of my comments above and showed a plan from RamNode as an example. There is far more valuable information and knowledge in this community than anywhere else on the web.

• @marcm I think $10 will happen when the community demands it. Right now, things are alright.

edited November 2012

It is an idea, not a crisis, I have said it before. I think that it can be discussed.

If by "discussed" you mean you posting the same thing over and over again in a slightly differently formulated walls of text posts, then I'd rather not see it "discussed" in this manner.

@marcm said: Now the flit side that I am talking about would be that by increasing the limit to $10 it would also allow some of those big monopolies to enter this market, if nothing else, just to advertise.

In LET IRC people concluded that you need to FOAD.

• @rm_ you're quite hostile you know that...

@kbeezie I will be more than hostile to anyone who dreams to destroy what I love (LEB/LET).

• @rm_ ... "dreams to destroy"... delusional too apparently.

• Why do you need leb to advertise your awesome 10$ vps?

• @rm_ said: I will be more than hostile to anyone who dreams to destroy what I love (LEB/LET).

We know its not gonna happen.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz - it's a discussion, it will most likely never happen, but apparently you aren't taking it to well, neither does @rm_ - It's an open forum, and I actually got the idea by looking at some of the first couple of comments in this thread.

@jcaleb said: We know its not gonna happen.

@jcaleb - Probably not, but that doesn't mean that it can't be discussed. It's a forum for crying out-loud, and people get together on forums to discuss ideas.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited November 2012

How about billing people on actual resource usage like NearlyFreeSpeech :) Rather than paying for resources that most of us don't use.

• @serverbear cloud?

• @serverbear - On cloud it's always funny when customers forget to downgrade their resources when they don't need them and then they bitch at the end of the month when they get their bill. A cloud provider also can't take PayPal because it's a service that is paid after it has been provided, and he has not guarantee that it will be paid.

@Taz - Actually I have based my idea about raising the sealing from $7/mo. to $10/mo. mostly on these two comments in this thread, by you and @jcaleb:

@Taz said: Yay. Keep overselling everyone. A race to the bottom. Great job.

@jcaleb said: Not LEB price of $7, but prometeus VZ9 (2GB) for $8.35/mo paid half year, or 9$ if paid quarterly, is reliable and stable =) I would recommend highly

• Why? Why cant you sell 256mb for 7$?

• @marcm said: @Taz - Actually I have based my idea about raising the sealing from $7/mo. to $10/mo. mostly on these two comments in this thread, by you and @jcaleb:

Thats for the 2GB. Uncle Sal has a lot of LEB offers for the lesser memory requirements.

• NearlyFreeSpeech by their estimates and my numbers would cost me:
    $12,515.23

Too much granular overcharging with them :)

• In the past, is Black Friday a big day in LET/LEB?

• Elastic billing would be great and allowing for adjustments on the fly even better. Certainly a VPS market for such.

Sometimes I need an extra 100GB of disk for file storage. I don't care if it's exotic or really fast, just that it works.

Other times, 2GB of RAM just is useless. Sometimes I might want 2GB of RAM available to see if IO has stopped sucking and if I can actually run a database on the VPS.

I became a CVPS customer initially because I didn't need 2GB of RAM that moment but could when and where MySQL or other tools we use could be ran on the VPS.

In essence, I often intentionally oversubscribe so the resources I actually might need will still fit comfortably inside what I bought. So, when things are needed infrequently and don't work as expected, it's very frustrating.

Makes me want to start ordering right sized plans with providers and being the person that uses 100% of their advertised plan.

• And still no one thanks me :(