Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and offers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and offers?

Comments

• @jarland is one of my favorite resident techbillies. Humble good spirited fellow.

@jarland, that $25 year plan, I see it down at end of an offer thread in the conversation. Low visibility. Bump that ad on WHT maybe?

• @jarland said: For real, I don't even wanna compete. I'll always be half the man @Francisco is.

Not competing either. Not like we have ponies and stallions.

• @Francisco - I love the stallion logo :)

@jarland - Always humble and honest :)

As far as the offers are concerned: when would it be a better time to sell people something at full price than on the one weekend when everyone else wants to give them the illusion that they're getting a deal? I mean just look at the upcoming long lines at Wal-Mart and Bestbuy - people waiting to get their toaster and big screen TVs on sale!

• @pubcrawler said: So far, large allocation of RAM offers (2GB) at the $7 and below price point haven't proven to be sustainable or viewed highly by customers who actually use their services. Feel free to show me any real provider who is doing such and well.

Not LEB price of $7, but prometeus VZ9 (2GB) for $8.35/mo paid half year, or 9$ if paid quarterly, is reliable and stable =) I would recommend highly

• @jarland hope you get your own ip space soon

• @jcaleb, lots of good sentiments about Prometeus on here lately.

$9 a month when paid quarterly is close enough to LEB pricing to consider it.

Glad you mentioned them since I was unaware of this plan from them.

• @pubcrawler I am wondering why not raise the LEB pricing bar from $7 to $10? Considering inflation, increased energy costs and so on it will have to happen anyway. Just my two cents :)

• TazTaz Member
    edited November 2012

7$ is not impossible. Calculate your resource. It is not like let forced you to sell 1gb ram /2$ . You can offer any resource with healthy competition and still be under 7$

• Some good deals perfectly timed for my birthday it seems :)

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz -> @jcaleb and @pubcrawler were talking about 2GB OpenVZ plans. What are you talking about?

• TazTaz Member
    edited November 2012

@marcm your comment was to increase leb pricing not providers.

I am wondering why not raise the LEB pricing bar from $7 to $10? Considering inflation, increased energy costs and so on it will have to happen anyway. Just my two cents :)

• @Taz - Yes, why not increase it?

• Why should? No one is stopping you from selling 128mb for 7$. If you feel like you can't compete for 7$, decrease your cost and target different client base?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz Probably because realistically after a while 95% of the providers that would match that pricing would be pretty much OpenVz providers, and course we all know they're a dime-a-dozen, and easy to oversell (as such no problem matching that price). 2GB Equivalent in the realm of Xen-PV/KVM @ 9.99 would be just as good a deal, yet doesn't meet LEB's requirements.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited November 2012

@Taz said: Why should? No one is stopping you from selling 128mb for 7$. If you feel like you can't compete for 7$, decrease your cost and target different client base?

@Taz - Why are you making this about me? Every provider would benefit from a price increase.

• Why not? Get a bigger node such with 512gb ram, add huge raid array of sata raid. You don't need to use e3 with 4 HD for everything.

• Fair point @marcm.

I'd argue that the $7/month limit is artificially decreasing competition from even being mentioned on here. More options would be good. I've beat this monopolization of the LEB ads by a few providers a bit lately.

Cost of living adjustment, inflation, etc. all increase prices for true products and services. VPS'es are notoriously different beasts since no weight, measures, audits, etc. No two on paper identical VPS offers will likely perform the same.

Last time I checked, no one issued a $7 dollar bill. A $10 yes!

Count me in on the recommended price change.

• TazTaz Member
    edited November 2012

@marcm nope. If buyvm can sell 128mb for 2$ and it is possible without overselling e3 boxes, why can't you or other provider do it? You don't need to compete with 2gb for 5$.

• @pubcrawler - I wish the Thaks Buttom would be back :) - And not just that, but it would allow providers to pack their offers with more features and bang for the buck. It would also avoid many of the incidents that we have seen lately here.

@pubcrawler said: Fair point @marcm.

I'd argue that the $7/month limit is artificially decreasing competition from even being mentioned on here. More options would be good. I've beat this monopolization of the LEB ads by a few providers a bit lately.

Cost of living adjustment, inflation, etc. all increase prices for true products and services. VPS'es are notoriously different beasts since no weight, measures, audits, etc. No two on paper identical VPS offers will likely perform the same.

Last time I checked, no one issued a $7 dollar bill. A $10 yes!

Count me in on the recommended price change.

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited November 2012

BuyVM sells below $2/mo for 128mb. $15 / 12 months = $1.25 a month.

Do the math on a server with 64GB of RAM, just with 128MB plans.

8 per gigabyte of RAM. 512 total.

512 x $15 = $7680 per year or $640 per month.

BuyVM builds it own servers, owns them and colo's in their own racks.

So costs are fixed, other than bandwidth....

Now, I am not in this industry, so no clue on how they deal with CPU use competition and balancing people using resources. That's the type of thing cloud computing was supposed to allow, not per se vanilla VPS environments.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@marcm GTFO to WHT if you want your stuff to be more expensive, kthxbye.
    This is LEB, this is $7.

• @pubcrawler said: Do the math on a server with 64GB of RAM, just with 128MB plans.

8 per gigabyte of RAM. 512 total.

There's CPU usage, stability issues and all that. Not as simple. I also doubt BuyVM fits all 128MB in the same box. Heard Uncle Sal had issues with massive amounts of smaller plans.

• @rm_ why not $5 then?

• @rm_ said: @marcm GTFO to WHT if you want your stuff to be more expensive, kthxbye.

This is LEB, this is $7.

Seems a bit harsh.. There is always room for improvement or compromise, for example different tiers, i.e. 7$ for <= 1Gb, 10$ <= 2 etc.

• Bigger nodes with more CPU and bigger raid? @Willian

• It's a free market economy and this price increase is just a proposal. Of course if even considered, it will have to be approved by the folks who are running this community.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@marcm said: I am wondering why not raise the LEB pricing bar from $7 to $10?

Because the purpose is to focus on what comes closer to defying the standard and encourages people to try harder to provide more for less, or to encourage users to do more with less. That's the kind of encouragement that breeds a more consumer focused market. With the prices of everything related to this industry falling through the floor in the last year, if there's anything we should be discussing it's lowering it, not raising it. It is more possible to provide quality service at $7 today than it was 2 years ago.

• @jarland wrong quote. I quoted Marc.

• @pubcrawler said: Glad you mentioned them since I was unaware of this plan from them.

Yes, I had very good experience. Stable service and professional/respectful support.

@marcm said: I am wondering why not raise the LEB pricing bar from $7 to $10? Considering inflation, increased energy costs and so on it will have to happen anyway. Just my two cents :)

Actually for computers, its going the other way. Things get cheaper as time goes by. Like when I was with tektonic, for the same price range, they keep on upgrading my RAM every year. 3 years ago, their 15$/mo plan only have 256mb. Now it has 1GB ram. Same with LEB/LET posting, you get more resources for the same price as time goes by.

• I like the current LEB guideline of $7/mo or $60/year. It's just simple.