Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mailcow - a (complete) mail server suite - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mailcow - a (complete) mail server suite

Comments

• @netomx - I mean where users just install as normal without having to modify / preinstall

• @Servercow: why didn't you enable pop3s also as a default? That would leave the option for the mail user to use it or not. It's great at privacy wise nobody can know when the message is read, and you can set a quick auto delete for message. Might not be what everyone is looking for in multi devices rich countries, but still interesting IMO and easy to setup with dovecot. An option in the panel or the config file maybe "enable POP3" would be possible?

Anyway, thanks for that great piece of software!

• @scy - in the beta I installed yesterday pop3 was enabled by default :)

Thanked by 1scy
  • @DeanKamitsis : nice, thanks! :)

• ServercowServercow Member
    edited September 2015

0.12 is about to come very soon! I changed/optimized a lot of code and added some more features (yes, also "greylisting").
    You can share calendars and see who has shared a calendar with you etc.

Thanks for your donations and kind words! This is what made me work the whole weekend.

You can find new screenshots here.

• @servercow - it's looking good :)

Thanked by 1Servercow
  • scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

Seems awesome!

Wonderful project, thank you very much, @Servercow!

Thanked by 1Servercow
  • Thank you! Let me know if you need help installing/configuring mailcow.

Thanked by 1scy
  • Since there seem to be many people that are familar with mailservers in this thread someone might be able to answer this:

I have my normal email (own domain, making extensive use of wildcards) and a work email address which gets forwarded to [email protected] and then automatically sorted into the folder "Work". With Fastmail and GMail I can specify that replies to emails in the Work folder should be sent using the work SMTP server, thuns making it seem like I am answering from the work email address.

Is such a behaviour also possible with Mailcow or open source mail components in general?

• i may want to try this

• Limit send by user or domain like cpanel is viable?

• indexiaindexia Member
    edited September 2015

@rafaelscs said:
    Limit send by user or domain like cpanel is viable?

+1

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Is such a behaviour also possible with Mailcow or open source mail components in general?

@servercow may be able to answer this, but in theory it should be possible with rules in RoundCube? It's not something I've tried though..

• @rafaelscs said:

+1 for me too :)

• ServercowServercow Member
    edited September 2015

Hmm, we can surely do this with a policy daemon. Found a nice perl script for this: https://github.com/bejelith/send_rate_policyd. But you may want to use policyd then to only have a single policy daemon for greylisting, rate limiting etc.

Integrating policyd into mailcow would need some time and effort...

@gsrdgrdghd: Sorting your mail can easily be done with a sieve rule in Roundcube, Thunderbird etc. - that's not a big deal.

For always relaying over a specific server when answering work mail, you would need to add a header check regex reading the "To: " header field like this: https://gist.github.com/andryyy/399595ad5a0ad0787f31 (cannot post some code due to Cloudflare blocking me, sorry).
    You may want to authenticate against your work smtp server, this is not mentioned in my gist link above. But I can help you with that. :) So: Yes, it is possible. :)

Edit: Oh, I think my above regex would just read the new "To: " header field. You need to perform a body_check then and catch the old "To: " header instead, sorry. :)

Thanked by 2gsrdgrdghd rafaelscs
  • zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited September 2015

@Servercow what would be the recommended way to do after-install customizations?

Let's say I make a few adjustments to the installed postfix configuration that are unique to my setup. What would happen when I do postfix-related changes from within the config panel? Would it overwrite the entire postfix main.cf config file? And regarding mailcow upgrades... if I understood correctly, any upgrade will completely wipe those customizations after it had copied them to a backup folder, meaning, in other words, I'd have to apply them again after each upgrade?

Thanks for your help!

• @zeitgeist Currently the config panel only resets/overwrites your smtpd_recipient_restrictions. You can insert a custom restrition right here. I will gladly help you with that.

Unfortunately an upgrade overwrites your changes, yes. This behavior will change in future versions. For now you can use "chattr +i main.cf/whatever.conf" to mark it immutable.

• @Servercow thanks for the help. I think I can handle. Just wanted to make it as easy as possible for me to keep your work updated while also adding my own customizations.

Cheers again for your great work!

• Hehe, I see. Thank you!

• zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited September 2015

@Servercow small suggestion. With nginx, the ssl_session_cache variable should be set globally on the http level, i.e. in nginx.conf, to avoid issues that could occur when you define different values for it on different server levels.

Reference: https://trac.nginx.org/nginx/ticket/235

(not sure if it got fixed eventually, but since this is more an issues related to the OpenSSL architecture I prefer to assume that it is not ;))

• Thank you, I will have a look into it. :)

mailcow 0.12 is out now

With a lot of fixes...
    Please see http://mailcow.email/ or https://github.com/andryyy/mailcow/releases/tag/v0.12

New screenshots? Everybody loves screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/elHnA

• Looks great, will test it out tomorrow.

• Good job @Servercow i will test it soon as possible

• Thank you! Bug reports are welcome!

• scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

Fantastic, thanks.

Didn't read your code yet, what does "Upgrade can be unattended (./install.sh -uu)" means?

It enables unnatended upgrades on the host system or it allow for mailcow itself to be upgraded (ie your web interfaces and potential config changes in the future?)

Thanks, anyway, fantastic project and nice github :)

Did experiment with an install in an LXC container it worked quite well, sounds like it's time to test an upgrade!

• what dns you recommend using with mailcow

• scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

simonindia said: what dns you recommend using with mailcow

you can set up your own:

apt-get install unbound (or pdnsd if you prefer)

Both are light on resources and can resolve from the root servers and cache the answer locally, you can also verify DNSSEC records. <3

• That's my DNS server recommendation, too. :) I still like Unbound a lot, though we (Servercow) recently switched to PowerDNS on all systems.

The "unattended upgrade" can be misleading, sorry. It just does what an unattended installation does: It won't ask you to "press enter to continue" after each installation task.
    This actually saved me some time while testing, hehe...

Thanked by 1scy
  • the upgrade is running. I've got it going on my live box.
    Wish me luck! :p

• so the upgrade went without a hitch! brilliant, @servercow. Although I had to reset some of the options between betas and the final version, but that's nothing :D

A query however over the postmaster notification.. how do you set these? Every domain I have has a catch-all setup on there, so surely it should hide the postmaster warning?

Thanked by 2scy Servercow