Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mailcow - a (complete) mail server suite - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mailcow - a (complete) mail server suite

Comments

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

mehargags said: Shall wait for the same... though no CardDav/CalDav is a big deal breaker... no one lives without mobile mail.

Can just set up baikal within a few minutes for carddav/caldav

Thanked by 2netomx asf
  • DeanDean Member

What's the Backup MX option tick I saw?

• mehargags said: Shall wait for the same... though no CardDav/CalDav is a big deal breaker... no one lives without mobile mail.

Sabredav 3 is already included.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • Hi,

This is a shared account for advertising and social communication, we will now start signing messages with our names, so you always know whom you are talking to. :)

Like Mike already wrote: Cal- and CardDAV is integrated in the current beta branch. This is archived by using SabreDAV in v3.0.0. WebDAV is not enabled, yet. I am still unsure about this.

mailcow 0.11b1 is the only release to be named mailcow so far. It was named "fufix" before.
    We are working on a rewrite of the PHP code, added smarty as template mgmt and coded some own routing (thanks Lars!). I think 0.11b2 will still not ship with the PHP rewrite, though with a new feature "public folders" and some bug fixes.

mailcow is- and will stay an open source and self-hosted mailing suite. It is planned to host mailcow @Servercow for like 3-4 Euros, which then includes a VirusTotal "Private API" key plus full support (no further payments for any implementations). We will keep your machine running. :)

The included webmailer is Roundcube. We thought about this a lot, but have not come to a conclusion yet. We may stick with Roundcube until RC "Next" is released.

There are no active plans to support other OS' than Debian (and derivates).

If you run into problems, please post them on GitHub, I will start working on your reports as soon as possible!

Thanks for your kind words!

Regards,
    André

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Installing it tonight. Here's my live impressions. I recognize I'm installing something that costs me nothing, and that little annoyances do not matter for something free, I'm just basically live blogging this mother and hitting post when I'm done.

• This was weird, the FQDN line. I ended up changing hostname to just "cow" to fix the FQDN. My instinct is to use the FQDN from the beginning. http://d.pr/i/17db7

• "Press ENTER to continue" ...if I've gone this far what's the point in stopping? Just do it all at once IMO, don't ask for permission at every turn.

• Ok so now I see why hostname and domain were both read for FQDN, it doesn't auto add that domain to postfixadmin. That's cool, but maybe just one field and stress "use FQDN here" I dunno, that's just how my brain works. I thought "sys_domain" meant the installer was preconfiguring a domain.

• Fufix is nice. Is this built in house? I've never heard of it before. Nice control over attachments, clamav, and virustotal integration that I've never heard of in a mail server.

All in all, impressive work. Selling hosting premade for this with full management would rival my service (MXroute) and I'm totally okay with that.

• dnwkdnwk Member

ActiveSync Support?

• Thanks @Jar for some insight.

@Servercow, I'll keep a watch on this thread for a while. can you suggest what SPAM Control / Learning/Management features are there in MailCow?

@Jar, can you test the Anti-Spam engine and let us know about this ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited July 2015

@mehargags said:
    Jar, can you test the Anti-Spam engine and let us know about this ?

No need. It's SpamAssassin and ClamAV with a side of VirusTotal. It's filtering is going to be just like any other generic implementation of those items. While VirusTotal is a nice touch that's not really going to impact spam.

Think default cPanel installation without all of the customizations I do and that's an effective overview of the default spam filtering. That's pretty much standard, no single free product is going to be overly efficient in blocking spam, that takes human intervention with knowledge of constantly changing trends (or expensive licensed solutions).

• That looks good, I used to use VirtualMin to host mail server, will have this a try :)

• ServercowServercow Member
    edited July 2015
    • This was weird, the FQDN line. I ended up changing hostname to just "cow" to fix the FQDN. My instinct is to use the FQDN from the beginning. http://d.pr/i/17db7

Asking for both separately makes it easier to catch strange FQDNs like im.a.host.domain.tld.

• "Press ENTER to continue" ...if I've gone this far what's the point in stopping? Just do it all at once IMO, don't ask for permission at every turn.

I added an option "unattended" for this. Though it is not standard yet to stop when critial errors occur and the installer does not catch them.

• Ok so now I see why hostname and domain were both read for FQDN, it doesn't auto add that domain to postfixadmin. That's cool, but maybe just one field and stress "use FQDN here" I dunno, that's just how my brain works. I thought "sys_domain" meant the installer was preconfiguring a domain.

Postfixadmin was completly replaced by a self-made drop-in replacement, mailcow does manage mailboxes and DAV now. :-)

• Fufix is nice. Is this built in house? I've never heard of it before. Nice control over attachments, clamav, and virustotal integration that I've never heard of in a mail server.

fufix/mailcow is a private project that started a year ago. I placed it on GitHub and people started asking for this and that.
    I still want this to stay open source. I make use of open source software, just added some scripting and configuration, so I do not want to profit from it. :-)
    Servercow is a very recent idea, I just thought advertising mailcow could push Servercow somehow.
    The only profit I will make of it is hosting mailcow "managed".

All in all, impressive work. Selling hosting premade for this with full management would rival my service (MXroute) and I'm totally okay with that.

Thank you! And thank you for MXroute. :-)

I made a lot of changes in mailcow b2 (not released yet, maybe later today@CEST or tomorrow), I will try and add Z-Push for this fancy AS stuff. Though IMAPv4 push works perfectly fine. :-)

Thank you guys for your comments!

André

• Thanks @Jar.

@Servercow, Can you include some good AntiSPAM control features in your software ? It is the single most biggest headache for hosting our own mailserver(s). I do understand it takes a lot of "teaching" and time to train your software for that, but maybe people like Jar and other experienced tech's can help you in developing a robust system that can be polished in time.

I've tried more than a dozen mail server apps last one year, yet the single point of failure, frustratingly is, when your user's complain the amount of SPAM in their mailboxes has increased, which kind of ridicules the whole purpose of good mailing engine. I'm sure Jar Agrees with me on this....!

• ServercowServercow Member
    edited July 2015

There is a lot of controversy about spam filtering.

The concept of mailcow:

Postscreen is preconfigured to filter malicious servers before they reach the smtpd. It does a very good job! It uses blacklists and some very tricky functions like waiting a few seconds after a connection was established. "Sane" servers are patient and wait for a mail servers answer before proceeding. They also wait for "PIPE allowed" before piping commands into the session. Spam servers do not have the time for this.

I dislike the idea of greylisting. Do not punish sane mail servers! By the way: Some rare/misconfigured servers may not even try to redeliver when they were rejected with a 4xx error. Postscreen filters these servers anyway.

mailcow learns inboxed mail as ham, mails in junk as spam daily. This happens at night with a random delay. Some spammers send spam mails at midnight (depending on your timezone, for sure) to trick spam filters out while they update their index.

mailcow imports rulesets from heinlein-support.de via cron automatically. They collect information across multiple servers and built a great heuristic for detecing spam mails.

Spamassassin is used when sane mail filters reached your mail server. I prefere to accept close to every mail from sane servers (but not obvious spam...).
    Imagine using mailcow in your business. You do not want to lose mails from cilents who may use a buggy mail system.

I am not a native speaker, so excuse any typos. :-)

André

Thanked by 2deadbeef aglodek
  • AeneAene Member

Looks nice. Although, trying to run it from Github rather than the releases feels a bit messy :)

• FYI, mailcow 0.11 is stable now. :)

• I'm gonna test soon, the cow logo sold me on it !

Thanked by 1Servercow
  • HI, two cents on spam filtering. Greylisting works. Sicne you use clamav why don't you add sanesecurity signatures and my last suggestion is to add a good antispam proxy like ASSP or even better HARAKA. I'm not into spam/ham SA learning, that never worked fine for me.
    Sanesecurity are just signatures and don't bear any real load on the system and should be easy to implement. Gryylist can be a tick box to enable/disable and Haraka is really fast, won't slow even the busiest installation.

• This looks very neat, does anyone have a guess about adequate RAM for this to work? 1 GB? Or maybe 2 GB?

• WHTWHT Member

@Servercow said:
    FYI, mailcow 0.11 is stable now. :)

It will be great if you can create some script so users can register emails themself.

• Hi,

Thank you marrco, I will have a look into sanesecurity and your other suggestions.

@berkay: You are fine with like 512MB when you don't plan to use ClamAV, 800MB and more is really recommended when using it.

A public registration is not yet planned. :/

Today I added time-limited spam aliases, actually an idea of a GitHub member. Really cool. :)

Regards,
    André

• My guess is that 1 gb + swap for a real server with a few dozen mailboxes is more than enough.
    So i don't suggest using assp, it's written in perl and really heavy on ram. And it's not easy to maintain.
    Maybe the best solution is Haraka for all filtering. It could be preconfigured with minimal plugins. I guess using haraka can solve lots more problems. Greylisting is a plugin, dnsbl are a plugin too. Also clamd can be part of haraka. So it could also expedite mailcow installation.

• I'm giving this is a go now. Busy installing and setting up.

• @jeromeza said: I'm giving this is a go now. Busy installing and setting up.

And...? I'm a bit disappointed here... after such a promising start, I was looking forward to updates every single step of the way ;)

• AeneAene Member

0.11 works well on Debian 7 with a few minor issues like having to edit the webpages manually due to it's php-version. Nothing major as far as I can tell after a few hours.

• @aglodek said:

Ran in to some issues, all my side though not on MailCow's side.

Needed to setup rDNS / DNS hosting first and I assumed my registrar had free DNS (which they do) but its not enabled by default for some retarded reason. So I may just host my own via PDNS or CPanel DNS.

I'll update on the weekend probably. So far no complaints though MailCow installed first time.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • Just wanted to pop in and say I've been using mailcow (the .10 release) for about a month now, and the expierence has been nothing but stelar. Setup was pretty quick and painless (a lot easier than mailinabox was...) Tweaking settings was a breeze and setting up SSL with a wildcard cert took around 30 seconds. Also the fufix admin panel is great, it allows you to get at most of the settings that you'd want to tweak without getting into the individual services config files. All in all it is an excellent piece of software and something I would filly recommend. Keep up the great work!

• scyscy Member
    edited August 2015

Seems nice, thanks! Did a test install (Debian Jessie) and had the following problem:

Press ENTER to continue with task Webserver configuration (CTRL-C to abort)

[RUNNING] - Task Webserver configuration started, please wait...
    sed: can't read /usr/local/sbin/mailcow_resetadmin: No such file or directory

[OK] - Task Webserver configuration completed

Press ENTER to continue with task Roundcube configuration (CTRL-C to abort)

[RUNNING] - Task Roundcube configuration started, please wait...
    ERROR 3 (HY000) at line 8: Error writing file './roundcubedb/session.frm' (Errcode: 28)
    ERROR 3 (HY000) at line 2: Error writing file './roundcubedb/carddav_addressbooks.frm'
    (Errcode: 28)
    [OK] - Task Roundcube configuration completed

Will try to figure out how to manually fix that. Did anyone had the same error msg?

Also, output could be a bit more verbose in my opinion, so that you can see what's really happening on each steps...

• AeneAene Member

@scy said:

Not that I can recall. But isn't Errcode 28 = No space left on device which might seem reasonable if it can't create files. What does df give you?

Thanked by 2scy NanoG6
  • scyscy Member

Yeah, that was it, no space left on device. I made some room and will try to manually finish roundcube setup :)

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2015

Can you guys get the installer to start again if it errors half way through? Mine just fails to start the setup again as it seems to error on something listening on port 25 when it restarts.