Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2015 Deadpool List - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2015 Deadpool List

Comments

• Who is going to maintain this now that @Bruce has deadpooled? ;)

• Hostress has not deadpooled.

• @tdale said:
    Hostress has not deadpooled.

I say keep hostress's name here on the deadpool list. Won't be long before they've dead pooled anyway.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@tdale What i read and saw, i will not take long trust me.

Thanked by 2namhuy IThinkUFailed
  • BruceBruce Member
    edited August 2015

@Ishaq said:
    Who is going to maintain this now that Bruce has deadpooled? ;)

nothing dead about me. just promoting services when/where I'm a verified provider

• wychwych Member
    edited August 2015

@tdale said:
    Hostress has not deadpooled.

Not yet, so you shouldn't be on but correct me if I am wrong but I am sure you can't make offers here anymore either way?

• as stated previously, this list is about fact not fiction.

Thanked by 2wych Maounique
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Bruce
    Whats your definition of deadpool?
    Company put of business? Not providing services anymore?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

From what I saw, it is acquired (and/or dissolved), no longer resolving, AS not routed, things like those.
    It is not (yet) if all VMs or a big part are down, no announcement was put up about ceasing operations or acquisition, no matter how much complain there is.
    So I think he is pretty liberal, it matches my view, we have a saying here, the dead man is not coming back from the grave, but we have seen a few here doing that, more or less.

• @mikho said:
    Bruce
    Whats your definition of deadpool?
    Company put of business? Not providing services anymore?

firstly, it's not my definition. it's consensus of LET opinion. but generally it will include a company that is no longer operating at all, or services withdrawn with consideration to customers.

whenever customers aren't getting what they PAID for, they will be added somewhere to the list. sometimes that will be the "in the doghouse" section, as they're not strictly deadpooled.

the point of the list - inform LET readers about which providers to avoid, when a provider is no longer providing a service that is shown to be available (ie GVH), or there are significant issues with the quality of their service.

suggestions for improving the criteria are welcome

Just asking because there are a few errors in that list.
    Brand is still operating != deadpool.

• @mikho said:
    Just asking because there are a few errors in that list.
    Brand is still operating != deadpool.

which one?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

tdale said: Hostress has not deadpooled.

but is cancelling services and refusing to refund people, give it 30 days....

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2015

@AnthonySmith said:
    but is cancelling services and refusing to refund people, give it 30 days....

30 Days, when (some) employees are working for free?

Huge challenge.

@Bruce said:
    which one?

BlueVM, change of ownership is not a deadpool. If you want to keep the list updated at least move them together with 123systems.

If I remember correct Damian is no longer working for ipxcore. I could be wrong, he went back there before.

• hostress is down for few days... I think they're deadpooled..

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Devonius said: hostress is down for few days... I think they're deadpooled..

Whoaaaa... The end is nigh...

• Data center Calpop (calpop.com) filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The first meeting of creditors is November 23. While they themselves are not a low end host, their data center has housed many low end hosts. They were located in downtown LA.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

UrDN is dead, too. For now, at least.

jnelson3149 said: Data center Calpop (calpop.com) filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The first meeting of creditors is November 23. While they themselves are not a low end host, their data center has housed many low end hosts.

Which?

• They had a 50,000 ft data center, since 1999, in the heart of LA, and I believe I read that at one time over 1 million domains were hosted there. They had a reputation for being disorganized, so many of their best customers moved on. Many companies started with a server there. If they want to identify themselves, that is up to them.

• Wasn't called Calihop?

• I am thinking of setting up a git that has a list of providers that have deadpooled, changed owners, or are in a warning phase due to lack of response or issues. The git would track all communication and attempts to contact the host and keep track of ownership changes via a number based system.

What does everyone think about this?

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • @Mun said:
    I am thinking of setting up a git that has a list of providers that have deadpooled, changed owners, or are in a warning phase due to lack of response or issues. The git would track all communication and attempts to contact the host and keep track of ownership changes via a number based system.

What does everyone think about this?

YES. As long as it's actively maintained it'll be great!

• @Ithinkufailed, part of it would be that there would be multiple people managing it, hopefully.

• Suggested format? CSV, TXT, XLS?

@Mun said:
    Suggested format? CSV, TXT, XLS?

Definitely not XLS.

Do you intend for it to be read primarily by humans or by software?

• @Mun said:
    Suggested format? CSV, TXT, XLS?

Why not a google docs that is edited by only trustable people on the LET community?

edited November 2015

@IThinkUFailed said:
    Why not a google docs that is edited by only trustable people on the LET community?

A Git repository is vendor-independent.

EDIT: And machine-accessible.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @joepie91 said:
    EDIT: And machine-accessible.

and with versioning.

@joepie91 said:
    Do you intend for it to be read primarily by humans or by software?

The reason I brought that up is readability. Txt is quick and easy, highly supported, but formatting can be "taxing". Where a CSV could be much more uniform and easier to shape to a readers wants, and with the bonus of being readable by computers.

edited November 2015

Mun said: The reason I brought that up is readability. Txt is quick and easy, highly supported, but formatting can be "taxing". Where a CSV could be much more uniform and easier to shape to a readers wants, and with the bonus of being readable by computers.

How about TSV? Tab-separated values. Bit more work to get the indentation right, but readable by both humans and computers.

Or if it's more complex data than a few columns, you could look at Markdown (or even something like YAML). CSV is rather hard to read for humans.

EDIT: To clarify, TSV parsers will generally 'collapse' multiple tabs into a single one, so you can just use however much indentation is needed, as long as it's at least 1 tab.

Thanked by 1vimalware