Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Dacentec offers (dedicated) - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Dacentec offers (dedicated)

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I am seriously interested in a server from Dacentec, as a WholeSale Internet Refugee. Is there any specific requirements with ordering from the UK?

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited May 2015

@joodle said:
    Anyone got Proxmox working on their Opteron servers? I've been struggling with it for nearly a day now but I simply can not get the networking to work (server doesn't respond to ping, nor ssh, nor can login to the web ui).

Used both their provisioning system and KVM to install Proxmox via ISO.

I installed Proxmox 3.4 from the KVM on my Opteron 1385 and did not experience any problems whatsoever. On a single guest I needed to change the CPU type from "default (KVM64)" to "host" or "Opteron", but I guess that's not your issue ...

• @wlambrechts - did you install from KVM for 3.4 or did you install 3.0 via their provisioning and then just upgrade on boot?

Also are you from ZA?

• Mine just got delivered! No iP KVM at this time to deploy my OS though as they're all in use. Will wait a little bit then post stats and such.

Dual L5420 - Very impressed with Dacentec's delivery times so far, in terms of both provisioning / supports response to tickets (blows Delimiter out of the water).

Ordered: Thu 22:20 (my time - ZA)
    Delivered: Sat: 11:30 (my time - ZA)

Keep up the good work!

• jeromeza said: No iP KVM at this time to deploy my OS though as they're all in use

I just told them to remove mine, let's hope you're the one that gets it :P

Anyway, Proxmox 3.4 is installed now, was probably a faulty disk.. Got both disks replaced and it's working like a charm now.

• @joodle said:
    Anyway, Proxmox 3.4 is installed now, was probably a faulty disk.. Got both disks replaced and it's working like a charm now.

Any reason you didn't install 3.0 via their provisioning page and then upgrade to Proxmox VE 3.4?

I'm doing it that route for now but I don't know if i'll run in to any problems like that or if I should just insist on the IP KVM.

• @jeromeza said:
    Mine just got delivered! No iP KVM at this time to deploy my OS though as they're all in use. Will wait a little bit then post stats and such.

Dual L5420 - Very impressed with Dacentec's delivery times so far, in terms of both provisioning / supports response to tickets (blows Delimiter out of the water).

Ordered: Thu 22:20 (my time - ZA)
    Delivered: Sat: 11:30 (my time - ZA)

Keep up the good work!

Maybe you can get now as I just finished it and they removed it :)

BTW, ZA is South Africa?

• wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
    edited May 2015

@jeromeza said:
    wlambrechts - did you install from KVM for 3.4 or did you install 3.0 via their provisioning and then just upgrade on boot?

Also are you from ZA?

I installed from KVM: that seemed to me as the easiest option. Never did a Proxmox upgrade.

I'm from Belgium BTW

• jeromeza said: Any reason you didn't install 3.0 via their provisioning page and then upgrade to Proxmox VE 3.4?

Didn't work for me, networking simply did not work.

• @Joodle - thanks I think i'm going to opt for KVM - upgrade doesn't seem to be working properly anyhow and I'd rather it just work than I have to fiddle!

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited May 2015

Some tests on my 2xL5420 box if interested:

DISK

root@moxy:~# hdparm -I /dev/sda|grep Model
        Model Number:       WDC WD2003FYYS-02W0B1                   
    root@moxy:~# hdparm -I /dev/sdb|grep Model
        Model Number:       WDC WD2002FYPS-02W3B0  

root@moxy:~# smartctl -d ata -a -i /dev/sda|grep Hours
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   070   070   000    Old_age   Always       -       22543
    root@moxy:~# smartctl -d ata -a -i /dev/sdb|grep Hours
      9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   062   062   000    Old_age   Always       -       28221

NETWORK

root@moxy:~# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5420  @ 2.50GHz
    Number of cores : 8
    CPU frequency :  2003.000 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 16086 MB
    Total amount of swap : 32763 MB
    System uptime :   29 min,       
    Download speed from CacheFly: 101MB/s 
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 18.4MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 61.6MB/s 
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.20MB/s 
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 18.4MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 96.1MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.63MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 27.2MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 29.3MB/s 
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 69.8MB/s 
    I/O speed :  114 MB/s

• andrewnandrewn Member

@jeromeza: any iDRAC?

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Out of interest what IPKVM devices do they use? Lantronix Spider or something else?

• @Oliver said:
    Out of interest what IPKVM devices do they use? Lantronix Spider or something else?

Ditto - Lantronix Spider in my case.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Just an observation, on on average all disks they provided so far about 3 years old.

• Old but still enterprise drives :-)

• NetxonsNetxons Member

Got the last Intel Xeon 5151 $20 deployed around 24+ with 2 x 2TB WD RE4 3.5 year old Network is decent very value of MONEY $!

• tomletomle Member, LIR
    edited May 2015

Yeah I got myself the Dell L5420, checked and it has ECC RAM. Drives are around 3 years old and network is good :) Now need to migrate the data from my other server and release it back into the pool!

Edit: And it was delivered in 1:37h on a Saturday evening!

Edit2: And support answers in less than 30 minutes at 04:30 on a Sunday morning!

• bohdansbohdans Member

Any more coming?

• edited May 2015

Need $20 server :P come on @dacentec

• dacentecdacentec Member, Host Rep

Yes, they are popular. There are a few up now.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

In stock again @TinyTunnel_Tom and @bohdans

• @dacentec said:
    Yes, they are popular. There are a few up now.

Got caught in fraud email is tom (at) thomasglassuk(dot)com

Thanked by 1dacentec
  • I've been having a tough time with the IP KVM and installing my own ISO.

My local (home) connection has such crappy upload that it seems to time out on installs as it doesn't upload the ISO quick enough (I think).

I've had to download the ISO to my online.net kidechaire and then install a desktop environment on that to proceed. Painful, but getting there - but not Dacentec's fault at all.

How do you guys deal with connection issues like this with custom ISO installs?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited May 2015

jeromeza said: How do you guys deal with connection issues like this with custom ISO installs?

don't have them my upload is fast enough. but if i ever did would probably use another server :D (connected to the kvm)

• @jeromeza you can ask them to put it on a USB drive and connect it to your server, had to do this before.

• jeromeza said: How do you guys deal with connection issues like this with custom ISO installs?

Samba share, connect to samba with the KVM.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

@jeromeza said:

Lucky for me I have another server there so PXE boot :)

• NateN34NateN34 Member

@jeromeza said:
    My local (home) connection has such crappy upload that it seems to time out on installs as it doesn't upload the ISO quick enough (I think).

Small netinstall isos.

• SadySady Member

Just got L5420 thing, weird that HW RAID is not there as per mentioned.
    Got 1st HDD with 34810 & 2nd with 40596, not something I can complain :)