Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a cheap dedicated server in US - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a cheap dedicated server in US

Comments

• @XIAOSpider97 said:
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.7944 s, 91.0 MB/s

Sigh .. Seems like my disk is a bit crappy xD

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    root@US:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.4434 s, 93.8 MB/s

Fine for my purposes.

• comXyzcomXyz Member

Confirmed, I got E5420 as well.

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50GHz Number of cores : 8 CPU frequency : 2499.678 MHz Total amount of ram : 8004 MB Total amount of swap : 16379 MB System uptime : 1 min, Download speed from CacheFly: 78.9MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 69.8MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 49.9MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 13.0MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 11.2MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 57.2MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.58MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 26.0MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 24.1MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 80.2MB/s I/O speed : 72.4 MB/s

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Pretty clearly, there's a huge fuck-up here, someone's swapped an E for an L somewhere. Looking at their list of Atlanta dedi's, they don't even sell anything with this CPU, which is weird as @MarkTurner said that these machines were being rebuilt from existing servers with 16GB RAM.

• @Nekki said:
    Pretty clearly, there's a huge fuck-up here, someone's swapped an E for an L somewhere. Looking at their list of Atlanta dedi's, they don't even sell anything with this CPU, which is weird as MarkTurner said that these machines were being rebuilt from existing servers with 16GB RAM.

And even weirder.. The L5420 sell for around 20 euros each on Ebay, where as the E5420 sell for 10 euros+ more (30-35 euros each).

• BruceBruce Member
    edited May 2015

@Nekki said:
    No, there's too much difference in the CPU to let it slide unfortunately. I've raised a ticket.

what's not to like?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-L5420-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5420

the real question is why advertise Lxxx and then deliver Exxxx

I noticed the difference when I upgraded my X5150, and dismissed it as I don't pay for the power to run it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Bruce said: what's not to like?

Actually, fair point - when looking at the benches I compared the single-core E5420 :-/

There's not enough of a performance difference for me to care, so I've withdrawn my ticket.

• mycloudmycloud Member

Device Model: WDC WD5000LPVX-00V0TT0
    It is WD Blue 500GB 2.5" 7mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive:
    http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=1261&language=1

• @joodle said:
    Received my Delimiter Server.

CPU is the Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 though.. Instead of the L5420

Some seem to have been delivered that way, I would just put in a cancellation and request a refund.

Those who have opened tickets on this, should automatically get a refund. There seems to be a mixed batch.

> smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep "Power_On"
    >   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       10
    > 

Disk speed seems to be quite low though.. Weird :P

Thats because you need to enable the disk cache:

hdparm -W1 /dev/sda

Then you'll be getting 80-100MB

• comXyz said: Yea, it's not what they advertised or I supposed to have. Even if the CPUs have almost same specs

Just put in a ticket and they'll have it cancelled and refunded for you.

• Nekki said: Mine turned up this morning too. Not actually blown away so far, Webmin feels very sluggish while navigating around.

It certainly shouldn't be sluggish, what is your disk performance? Do you need to enable the write cache?

• @MarkTurner said:

Where to type the username and password of RDP, when installing Windows in your panel?

Root password?

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited May 2015

MarkTurner said: Thats because you need to enable the disk cache:

hdparm -W1 /dev/sda

Then you'll be getting 80-100MB

Ah, well, thanks! :D

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 11.4892 s, 93.5 MB/s

MarkTurner said: Those who have opened tickets on this, should automatically get a refund. There seems to be a mixed batch.

Nope, don't want a refund :P

It only has a 200 passmark difference with the L5420.. xd

• @Joodle - Make sure you close off your ticket, there were 3-4 people with open tickets on this point earlier and Steve has been told to just cancel and refund them.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Joodle - Make sure you close off your ticket, there were 3-4 people with open tickets on this point earlier and Steve has been told to just cancel and refund them.

Yeah i just closed the ticket.

• XIAOSpider97 said: According to the S.M.A.R.T., I saw the pwr up time of my HDD is 10, seems to be brand new.

They should be new, almost all systems come with new (near new) disks.

• XIAOSpider97 said: Where to type the username and password of RDP, when installing Windows in your panel?

Set the root password which will equate to the Administrator password.

• mycloudmycloud Member

@MarkTurner said:
    They should be new, almost all systems come with new (near new) disks.

Can I request 7200rpm HDD instead of 5400rpm laptop HDD?

• @mycloud - maybe for an additional fee. You'll need to talk to Steve ([email protected]) about that. This maybe a fixed configuration from their side.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MarkTurner said:

>

I'll do some proper testing later, disk performance doesn't seem to be the bottleneck.

• @MarkTurner said:

Thanks! Installed.

Submitted a ticket for IPv6 7 hrs ago... waiting :)

Server seems good.

• XIAOSpider97 said: Submitted a ticket for IPv6 7 hrs ago... waiting :)

They'll put in a request to NetOps for the allocation then update you. It can take 1 business day to get completed.

• ehabehab Member

@MarkTurner i suggest you start your own business, i like you :)

Thanked by 2MarkTurner vpsGOD
  • To add another perspective to this whole E5420 vs L5420:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-L5420-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5420/m10433vsm11278

The E5420 has faster Integer/Floating point operations according to that.

Honestly the difference in CPU from a users perspective is unnoticeable in my opinion. From a datacentre perspective, L5420 is cheaper to run but that doesn't affect the enduser.

• BruceBruce Member

@MarkTurner said:
    To add another perspective to this whole E5420 vs L5420:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-L5420-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5420/m10433vsm11278

The E5420 has faster Integer/Floating point operations according to that.

Honestly the difference in CPU from a users perspective is unnoticeable in my opinion. From a datacentre perspective, L5420 is cheaper to run but that doesn't affect the enduser.

as per my earlier post :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I'm betting the cancellations are just an excuse to cancel from those suffering buyers remorse...

• Nekki said: I'm betting the cancellations are just an excuse to cancel from those suffering buyers remorse...

Very likely, but as of an hour ago it was 3 people cancelling - 1.38%.

• ehabehab Member

well @Nekki how do you like the server?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@ehab said:
    well Nekki how do you like the server?

Not had a chance to do much yet, just re-installed the OS to Debian, upgraded to Jessie, secured the server and installed on Webmin.

If I get the time, I'll put it through its paces a little more this evening. Probably going to chuck a virtual desktop on there and see how that performs to start with, and take it from there.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • nadznadz Member

Mine still pending. Invoice date 04/27/2015 #175124

@MarkTurner any chance it will deliver today?