Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• BruceBruce Member

raza19 said: require ev ssl

please explain. what benefit does ev ssl give to the customer?

is this just "provider spent more than $2 on ssl, so must be decent and/or not a kid"

Thanked by 1perennate
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Bruce said: please explain. what benefit does ev ssl give to the customer?

It gives money to the SSL providers, keep economy running; soon https://letsencrypt.org gives free SSL certificates, so this is very important, you don't want to make people go unemployed do you?!?!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Bruce said:
    is this just "provider spent more than $2 on ssl, so must be decent and/or not a kid"

It's supposed to be harder to get an EV cert, in that more identification/verification is needed for the cert to be provided, so in theory you can be better assured that the site owner is who they claim to be. A big deal if you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, no such a problem otherwise.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

I would like a ban on 'is x provider down for you' unless the downtime is greater than 24 hours. They're just fucking annoying and nearly always end up in an argument.

• @Nekki said:
    I would like a ban on 'is x provider down for you' unless the downtime is greater than 24 hours. They're just fucking annoying and nearly always end up in an argument.

Agreed.

• @Nekki said:
    It's supposed to be harder to get an EV cert, in that more identification/verification is needed for the cert to be provided, so in theory you can be better assured that the site owner is who they claim to be. A big deal if you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, no such a problem otherwise.

They go through to your accountants, your family too

the way to get yourself verified is that they really do they're digging on you. You have to provide a lot of data from yourself and your business.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Maybe not such a terrible idea then.

• @Nekki said:
    Maybe not such a terrible idea then.

I understand what the guy is saying. It would stop a hell of a lot of things going down. Again it'll change the market like I believe LETS done anyways

• NekkiNekki Veteran

How about a ban on offers or providers that offer more than 1 IPv4 without justification?

• @Nekki said:
    How about a ban on offers or providers that offer more than 1 IPv4 without justification?

Who may be hinting here?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

TinyTunnel_Tom said: Who may be hinting here?

Nobody in particular, it's just a relevant point brought up in a recent thread; we shouldn't support these IPv4 land-grabs. No issue with providers tossing out additional (free or otherwise) IPv4 with sufficient justification, obviously.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited April 2015

To dictate every company business model? There are some guidelines and rules what's ok and what's not, but I think that this would go a bit too far. There's way too many new companies which concentrate their complete business model around this site. And then depend from it.

I prefer "budget" hosts which don't depend from LEB/LET and develop their own business model independetly from LEB/LET.

And if this include 2 or more IPs as part of your standard package or special offer without justification then be it - it's your choice just as it's mine to purchase or not to purchase VPS from you.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

It's not so much about dictating a business model as helping to prevent the hoarding of a valuable resource by underhanded means.

• There are only 2-3 months left for hoarding anyway, after that it will be game over. Will be interesting to see how the business models change then and how many providers honor their multi IP deals.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Can we really do that now when many of us already advantaged from unjustified additional free IPs from almost every popular (TOP 3) LET/LEB host already? :) Maybe we should give them back those IPs and request from them to return them to ARIN to stay moral, a? :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Spirit said:
    Can we really do that now when many of us already advantaged from unjustified additional free IPs from almost every popular (TOP 3) LET/LEB host already? :) Maybe we should give them back those IPs and request from them to return them to ARIN to stay moral, a? :)

Personally, I've never had a single unjustified or free IPv4. I've always avoided those deals.

• I have, several of them. Mostly from (past) top3 LEB/LET hosts. And I don't give them back! no-no :(

• @rds100 said:
    There are only 2-3 months left for hoarding anyway, after that it will be game over. Will be interesting to see how the business models change then and how many providers honor their multi IP deals.

Really? I thought we were going to run out in 2010

• TinyTunnel_Tom said:

Really? I thought we were going to run out in 2010

ARIN is down to 0.21 /8s left. I think they will run out in July.

• @rds100 said:

They will run out, but its going to turn into a swapping game. This for that in terms of IPs

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom sure, there will be ways to get IPs, but the whole game of IP hoarding will be over.
    IP hoarding is done with the idea to have as many IPs used as possible so you can ask ARIN for even more while they still have some left. When ARIN is dry the whole IP hoarding game would be no longer needed.

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • No IPv4 = faster IPv6 support?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

RIPE has still enought IPS.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@Nekki said:
    It's supposed to be hardr to get an EV cert, in that more identification/verification is needed for the cert to be provided, so in theory you can be better assured that the site owner is who they claim to be. A big deal if you're spending hundreds or thousands of dollars, no such a problem otherwise.

@Awmusic12635 @Bruce @Perennate

Exactly what @Nekki said

• Profforg said: Make signature to show one time per user per topic (first message only or last message only).

I'm afraid this is not easily possible. In addition to that, it would supersede the purpose of signatures.

@rm_ said:
    1) fix editing of posts
    2) fix this shit: https://lut.im/tTpsrgGY/z89I7qFF
    and that is how you can improve LowEndTalk.

These were caused by CloudFlare settings and should now be resolved.

@Mark_R said:

I'm afraid a user-selectable theme is currently not easily possible with Vanilla. I'm therefore not putting this on my active list.

@Pwner said:
    Flagging for mobile.

Noted.

@oijpghjighoji said:
    Every offer should be added to a database that can filtered according to disk space, ram, bandwith, etc...maybe change/add the submit form so that companies can add it themselves. There is already http://list.lowendserv.net/ and http://lowendstock.com/ but it's outdated.

This would both cost a lot of time and shift our focus away from being a community/forum.

@fazar said:
    Vanilla doesn't properly detect my chrome running on tablet as mobile browser, so it will load desktop version instead of mobile version. I love chrome :(

And I don't love Vanilla, but I'm afraid I can't change the fact that we still run it. I realize a lot of people like the current layout that comes with Vanilla (which is easily replicated on another piece of software), but Vanilla itself is extremely limited and very stupid at times. It's a pain to work with for an administrator (and even a moderator) and it's prone to bugs.

Please file a bug report with Vanilla for this, so they may look at it. If we ever change to a responsive theme, this may no longer be an issue of course.

@Nomad said:
    Bring on some email and IP banning systems.
    Too many users are popping up with different accounts.

Maybe limiting LET to 1 account per IP, or ban can do some good as well.

Also, please stop people popping up, creating a discussion and going awol. Maybe before opening a discussion having XY number of posts along with some thanks might be good as well.

Either remove the search or make it search.

Aside from the fact that most of this is not possible with Vanilla, it will also increase our workload and cause false positives for those who have providers that NAT heavily or those that use a VPN/proxy.

Search is an on-going thing with Vanilla and I've given up the hope that it will ever work properly.

@TheKiller said:
    I want Like button, also member reputation badges (new member, member, VIP etc.)

Noted.
    For so far my responses to Page 1, the list is currently as follows:**

• SSL support
    • Different themes (currently not easily possible)
    • Flagging for mobile
    • Like-system like at Vanillaforums.com
    Thanked by 2MikePT fazar
  • @DewlanceVPS said:
    1. In offer section allow user to control reply(pending response need approval of host) or allow to delete useless reply

That is not going to happen.

@Bruce said:
    introduce an award for user of the month. could either be good, for someone helping others or bad.

elsewhere we used to award someone the "cunt of the month" award, for doing something either really dumb or really offensive. maybe a poll, so the award is voted for by others. I could guess one person who might win this one this month ;)

I like this idea, actually! Community-member of the month? Maybe per quarter for someone that contributes a lot to the site? I'd even be willing to chip in a small prize, like a server.

@Lee said:
    Too many people think it makes LET unique that it uses an outdated, feature deprived, buggy piece of software. But I do agree using something like IP Board would create a whole new set of opportunities for this site. Will never happen though.

The front-end is pretty good as it is, aside from some minor bugs. The real problems are on the management side of things and when we'd like to give our users a bit more control (like being able to select their own theme or pick their own editor type).

I believe LET would be much, much better off using a professional and more mature forum system with a customized, simplified Vanilla-style front-end. It would give us the tools we need but the simplicity we're used to.

Since three more people noted it on this page, I'll add it to the list even though I think the chances are slim we'll ever switch. Let me be clear: I would only advocate a switch if we can keep the currently layout style and simplicity of things.

MrGeneral said: That'll help the mobile users navigating LET: :)

Tapatalk is to intrusive at this time.

@Bruce said:
    For mobile site only. Limit announcements shown as they take up most of the page

This is not currently possible.

@NeoXiD said:
    But could you please install PHP GD so that avatar uploads work again?

I'll have a look at this (if this is still missing and if I still have access to the node I used to have access to).

So far, after Page 2, I have the following on my list:
    - SSL support
    - Different themes (currently not easily possible)
    - Flagging for mobile
    - Like-system like at Vanillaforums.com
    - Community Member of the Month
    - Better forum system (more stable, less bugs, more options)

Thanked by 2MikePT vedran
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2015

@mpkossen said:

• Better forum system (more stable, less bugs, more options)

Maybe we should start a thread about what forum system LET should be using and let people suggest it. after a while you with the other administrators judge what forum system is promising and is capable of having the current LET functionality & layout that everyone loves so much. this way we might be able to refresh LET without ruining it.

I would personally do this before processing any other LET suggestions that require editing Vanilla.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @Mark_R said:
    I would personally do this before processing any other LET suggestions that require editing Vanilla.

I've already tried to make the case for this once. I'll only pick that battle again if there's enough community support for it.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Re-open the Feedback and Suggestions thread ;(

• IceCream said: Re-open the Feedback and Suggestions thread ;(

We may do that some time later when enough relevant data will be gathered and therefore this and the other (LEB) thread won't be needed at the top anymore.

This discussion has been closed.