Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can we improve LowEndTalk? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can we improve LowEndTalk?

Comments

• Migrate to IP.Board?

• @rmlhhd said:
    Migrate to IP.Board?

XenForo much better

• Both xenforo and ipboard are a lot more powerful than vanilla and I guess that would screw with the concept of this site.

• LeeLee Veteran

Too many people think it makes LET unique that it uses an outdated, feature deprived, buggy piece of software. But I do agree using something like IP Board would create a whole new set of opportunities for this site. Will never happen though.

• @Lee said:
    Too many people think it makes LET unique that it uses an outdated, feature deprived, buggy piece of software. But I do agree using something like IP Board would create a whole new set of opportunities for this site. Will never happen though.

Admin can hire some web designer to design a theme like this vanilla green one for XenForo or IP board if they actually consider changing software.

However it will be difficult to convert Vanilla DB to IPB or XenForo.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:

- Things need to be achievable and realistic

Migration is not easy, It will create a bigger problem and there is no any migration software available for migrating to IP board. ;xd

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited April 2015

DewlanceVPS said: there is no any migration software available for migrating to IP board. ;xd

really?

http://www.invisionpower.com/convert

TheKiller said: However it will be difficult to convert Vanilla DB to IPB or XenForo.

Indeed, however not exploring the opportunities is an opportunity lost.

• I feel like a migration to IPB or xenforo would just make this site a vpsboard clone.

• Vanilla is a convenient and clear forum system. i see no need for changing forum system unless vanilla critically breaks (not fixable anymore) leaving us with no choice but to switch.

• If we have to switch i'd probably look into

http://esotalk.org or https://github.com/flarum/core (esoTalk's successor.)

Thanked by 1cassa
  • LeeLee Veteran

@tr1cky said:
    I feel like a migration to IPB or xenforo would just make this site a vpsboard clone.

By that logic it's a clone of every site that runs IPB or Xenforo. The content or community make no difference? That's far too narrow minded a view.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @tr1cky said:
    I feel like a migration to IPB or xenforo would just make this site a vpsboard clone.

NamePros is very good example of XenForo, also DP forums. A like this can be developed to get used to it.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

I think the feel of vanilla is part of what makes let unique and is also part of the reason why let is so active.

Thanked by 2Nomad MikePT
  • LeeLee Veteran

jbiloh said: and is also part of the reason why let is so active.

Of course it is, I know lots who visit here just because of Vanilla...

• LET using IP.Board or Xenforo? No thanks, would rather use WHT then. And yes I actually do think that it's forum software makes LET unique.

• I dont see anything wrong with Vanilla, but a bit of a face life would be nice and as others have said, mobile friendly is more of a must now.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Install Tapatalk - https://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=van

In case you have any issues, feel free to email me to miguel AT tapatalk.com

That'll help the mobile users navigating LET: :)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @MrGeneral said:
    Install Tapatalk - https://tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=van

In case you have any issues, feel free to email me to miguel AT tapatalk.com

That'll help the mobile users navigating LET: :)

No! its really annoying for people who have proper mobile devices that display LET fine without use of third-party apps. Tapatalk always bugs users about installing the software whenever you enter a page.. it sucks. WHT is a great example.

Thanked by 1Nomad

@Mark_R said:
    No! its really annoying for people who have proper mobile devices that display LET fine without use of third-party apps. Tapatalk always bugs users about installing the software whenever you enter a page.. it sucks. WHT is a great example.

Mark, that is incorrect. You can actually disable that popup (the forum administrator can). Those who utilize Tapatalk in their mobile devices would benefit from it, and you wouldn't be bugged at all! :)

Do let me know if there's any other question I can clarify for you.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited April 2015

@MrGeneral said:
    Do let me know if there's any other question I can clarify for you.

Did it ever appear as an question to you? because it clearly wasnt. its feedback based on experience that everyone could confirm if they ever visited WHT from their mobile devices. So dont come with replies like 'Mark, that is incorrect.' because thats not the case here.

Anyways, if what you say is true at all and Tapatalk popups could be entirely disabled for everyone then that is fine with me. Aslong im not getting bugged by it i see no issue. People who have proper mobile devices that display pages correctly shouldnt be bothered by notifications about installing third-party software, its uncalled for.

• NomadNomad Member

I hate to see another site popping up:

"why not use Tapatalk" messages everytime I fire up my browser. It's only a bother.

I'm with @Mark_R on this matter.

Also, about Vanilla, it sure is a reason to use LET. It's easy on the eyes, it's not bulky, it's fast, clean and easy to navigate. The hell with other forums. I don't even want to open up those sites.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@MrGeneral said:
    Mark, that is incorrect. You can actually disable that popup (the forum administrator can). Those who utilize Tapatalk in their mobile devices would benefit from it, and you wouldn't be bugged at all! :)

@MrGeneral, that is incorrect. According to the Admins at vpsboard it is disabled, yet I get nagged about it every time I get logged out. Luckily that doesn't happen often so I can live with the clicks with first closing the "advertisement" and then the notification about the app.

I'm more then happy with the mobile interface that Vanilla has. I only miss the flag link.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • BruceBruce Member

For mobile site only. Limit announcements shown as they take up most of the page

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Bruce said:
    For mobile site only. Limit announcements shown as they take up most of the page

Usually there are only 2 announcements, on some occasions there are more. Four announcemens, as this moment is very rare.

edited April 2015

@mikho said:

Sure thing. Those issues could be reported to me and I'll get those sorted immediately. We have millions of users using Tapatalk daily, I do understand that it indeed sometimes gets annoying to see the popup everywhere. I just provided an advice, an alternative that, in this case, as I participate here a lot, I can sort any issues you may have using our App. We got a team of forum lovers that is pretty willing to improve and do the needfull. If you ever consider it, please get in touch with me and I'll provide the best assistance ever :-)

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2015

MrGeneral said: Sure thing. Those issues could be reported to me and I'll get those sorted immediately. We have millions of users using Tapatalk daily, I do understand that it indeed sometimes gets annoying to see the popup everywhere. I just provided an advice, an alternative that, in this case, as I participate here a lot, I can sort any issues you may have using our App. We got a team of forum lovers that is pretty willing to improve and do the needfull. If you ever consider it, please get in touch with me and I'll provide the best assistance ever :-)

Why don't you contact them privately from your tapatalk email to resolve the problem instead of posting here about how they can contact you? Also I've never even heard of tapatalk before now, I doubt a very high percentage of mobile users have it (relatedly, I don't think you're very good with this marketing thing because now that you've said things like "let me know if there's any other question I can clarify for you" I have pretty negative image of them; although from your comments you seem like good guy, not sure what it is that being salesperson does to people that makes them suck at selling things).

• NekkiNekki Veteran

How have you not heard of Tapatalk?

Thanked by 2MikePT MrObvious
  • I don't doubt the value of Tapatalk, but the reason I also haven't heard of it is probably because I don't have any mobile devices. But then I have a bad attitude and just do what I want. :)

@perennate said:
    Why don't you contact them privately from your tapatalk email to resolve the problem instead of posting here about how they can contact you? Also I've never even heard of tapatalk before now, I doubt a very high percentage of mobile users have it (relatedly, I don't think you're very good with this marketing thing because now that you've said things like "let me know if there's any other question I can clarify for you" I have pretty negative image of them; although from your comments you seem like good guy, not sure what it is that being salesperson does to people that makes them suck at selling things).

Hello!

I am not a sales person, but an infrastructure manager. I offered my help to sort any issues immeditely. We do not do sales other than in our website (read about our rebranding options). We got millions of clients/users, not sure how/why you have never heard about us! :p
    P.S, as to my approach here, we only do support by email and forums, I was simply trying to escalate the issues immediately! :-)

"I doubt a very high percentage of mobile users have it" - We have millions of users, and we send millions of push notifications per day. Check out our website to find more information :-)

@Ole_Juul said:
    I don't doubt the value of Tapatalk, but the reason I also haven't heard of it is probably because I don't have any mobile devices. But then I have a bad attitude and just do what I want. :)

That's why! Feel free to test our App whenever you wish to! :-)

This discussion has been closed.