Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Stock - Buffalo?? - Page 18
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Stock - Buffalo??

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@Soylent I've been using the British and American Netflix for months now, used the Canadian one yesterday and it's got loads of great new stuff so I'm pretty excited :P didn't see anything missing though, just more stuff.

If you want to use my UK proxy to check out the British version, let me know :)

• I have a SJ 128, but it seems that geolocation is not properly Canadian. This is unfortunate because I installed a ssh proxy to watch videos at www.cbc.ca, and I mostly get the "this content is currently unavailable" message.

• I'm sure there are people who'd gladly trade IPs with you in order to get a US one. My 128 and 256 at Buffalo are both Canadian, and I wish they were US. Not the end of the world since I can use them for other things, but it'd be nice if my VPN IP were closer to where I actually live than it currently is (SecureDragon in Florida). The ping actually isn't that much worse though, so it's not the end of the world.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@pcan said: I have a SJ 128, but it seems that geolocation is not properly Canadian. This is unfortunate because I installed a ssh proxy to watch videos at www.cbc.ca, and I mostly get the "this content is currently unavailable" message.

It seems i'm going to have to keep a few subnets canadian just because of this all :P

There is the US VPN in NY if you want netflix and such.

Reloads will happen on Monday. It's labor day though so I may just give the guys the day off.

Francisco

• pcanpcan Member
    edited September 2012

@francisco said: It seems i'm going to have to keep a few subnets canadian just because of this all :P

Your OVZ 128 is actually the most cost effective geolocalized canadian IP VPS, but the www.cbc.ca site seems to be a difficult case. The IP is recognized as canadian by ip2location, hulu and netflix, and still the www.cbc.ca site blocks the content.

The BuyVM US VPN works well, @Soylent you will find the instructions on BuyVM wiki.

I'll drop CBC an email and see if they can give some pointers on what they use for their geoDB :)

It's very much possible they use maxmind.

Francisco

• Do you get refunds if you cancel the SJ and just bought a NY? I renewed the SJ a couple months back.

Also, the /etc/motd.tail made me lol.

• @herbyscrub said: Do you get refunds if you cancel the SJ and just bought a NY? I renewed the SJ a couple months back.

I asked this a few days ago, you will receive credit for the remaining time if you do an immediate cancellation.

• klikliklikli Member
    edited September 2012

This post maybe deleted.

• @Francisco said: There is the US VPN in NY if you want netflix and such.

I mainly bought my NY vps to watch stuff with an american IP. I will try the vpn solution, but I guess it will slow down the connection and raise the latency?
    I have no idea about this stuff so my question might be stupid; but will this geolocation stuff be changed some time? Because arin lists all your adress blocks as owned by your CA company but the old adress I had in SJ was geolocated in the US. So does one have to tell those geolocation DBs that this is now american or how does this work? Or must every major website (youtube/hulu/...) be informed separately (with what proof btw)?

@bamnael said: I mainly bought my NY vps to watch stuff with an american IP. I will try the vpn solution, but I guess it will slow down the connection and raise the latency?

Not at all :) The 'US VPN' will add 0.01ms of latency since it's routed right through the NY router.

Francisco

• Looks like we want more KVM's in both SJ and NY locations ;)

@Inglar said: Looks like we want more KVM's in both SJ and NY locations ;)

Hear ya' loud and clear boss :)

We'll see what's on the menu and how soon.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Inglar
  • @francisco said: It's very much possible they use maxmind.

Following your observation, I noticed that my SJ vps IP is indeed recognized as USA IP by maxmind. I have now bought a NY VPS: maxmind recognizes it as canadian, and it works perfectly on cbc.ca. CPU is faster than the SJ node.

Do you plan to release a non-experimental Ubuntu 12.04 LTS OVZ template? I tried the experimental template and i got troubles on Apache.

@pcan said: Do you plan to release a non-experimental Ubuntu 12.04 LTS OVZ template? I tried the experimental template and i got troubles on Apache.

what issues did you have with apache?

Francisco

@Inglar said: Looks like we want more KVM's in both SJ and NY locations ;)

Word from the boss is we'll have 2 more KVM nodes online within 2 weeks :) Parts will be ordered tomorrow and ship from amazon/newegg on Tuesday. Things go well Matt should be shipping to NY by end of the week.

Francisco

• @pcan said: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS OVZ template

I used this template, and have Apache running without issue. After an apt-get install, and before tweaking it, it was using around 370MB of my 256MB dedicated :) but now I have my LAMP stack running around 90MB.

• flyfly Member
    edited September 2012

when will you guys update the kvm templates? arch template needs some love.

i opened a ticket and got the Soon™ reply

@fly said: when will you guys update the kvm templates? arch template needs some love.

i opened a ticket and got the Soon™ reply

It'll be updated by tomorrow :)

I'll go through all of the ISO's and remove anything that's EOL/etc.

Francisco

• @u4ia said: I used this template, and have Apache running without issue. After an apt-get install, and before tweaking it, it was using around 370MB of my 256MB dedicated :) but now I have my LAMP stack running around 90MB.

Same here. No problem with Ubuntu 12.04 for now

• Plenty of stock just became available.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited September 2012

its going slow... 30 minutes have passed and still lots of 128s

@jcaleb said: its going slow...

It's 4AM :)

Awknet is also have some routing issues so things have been running terrible for the past hour or so. I've messaged Justin so we'll see what happens.

As I said, NY would sell slower especially since we did the early bird stock.

I'm perfectly fine with it :) What sells, sells. What doesn't? will sell in time ;)

The rack is very much profitable already.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @Francisco said: I'm perfectly fine with it :) What sells, sells. What doesn't? will sell in time ;)

I thought it was bec. stock was OVZ and people already bought so many these past 2 weeks....

@jcaleb said: I thought it was bec. stock was OVZ and people already bought so many these past 2 weeks....

That too I'm sure :)

We sell out a lot of the plans each round. 128's are always gone, 256's are usually mostly/all gone and 512's are usually a good bite into as well. 1G/2G's are always slow, that's why we loaded a lot less this time around.

Francisco

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • I'm happy SJ stock is more accessible these days. Specially when you need one urgently

• needs to update archlinux kvm iso

• anyone able to send SMTP emails using gmail? Is it blocked? I have some scripts that i want to send reports via mailsend ssl 465 or starttls 587, and i always get authentication issues, but using the exact same command on my windows box works....
    "MAIL FROM failed: '530 5.5.1 Authentication Required."

Have you checked your RDNS?

Francisco

• seedbox28seedbox28 Member
    edited September 2012

mailsend -v -info -ssl -port 465 -smtp smtp.gmail.com
    works as expected, google responds appropriately... so i dont think its dNS.

The command that im using that fails on VPS but works on windows:
    mailsend -to [email protected] -from [email protected] -ssl -smtp smtp.gmail.com -port 465 -sub test +cc +bc -v -auth-login -user myuser -pass mypass