Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM Stock - Buffalo?? - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM Stock - Buffalo??

Comments

• u4iau4ia Member

@klikli said: Please take care to remember this password, as it will not be sent via email.

Aldryic said that that was going to be a feature in Stallion 2; not storing the password in the database. So apparently the code is in place for when the new panel goes live.

• u4iau4ia Member

@jcaleb said: i can change password in stallion right?

If you do set the root pass in Stallion, it will still be stored, so the safer choice is just using passwd :)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • @u4ia Stallion stores vps passwords?

• u4iau4ia Member

I am assuming so, every time i reinstall, the root password is the one I originally set in Stallion.

• seedbox28seedbox28 Member
    edited August 2012

I got a 256 NY! So happy right now. How long does it take to get out of "pending"?

• @seedbox28 said: I got a 256 NY! So happy right now. How long does it take to get out of "pending"?

mine was around 5-10 minutes

• Did solusvm also store password?

• @budingyun said: Did solusvm also store password?

I think so.

• @klikli said: I think so.

Maybe not. When i reinstall os, i need to set a new password via solusvm. I think the default password depend on os template.

• @klikli said: I think I'm going to do that.. or I'd just use

date | sha1sum, then copy paste and forget about it.

edited August 2012

date | sha1sum, then copy paste and forget about it.

No that hard to brute force now that you told us ;) ...... 24 x 60 x 60 = 86400

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited August 2012
    alias passgen='echo `date|md5sum``w|md5sum``dd if=/dev/urandom bs=512k count=1 2>&1|md5sum`|sha1sum'

better?

Thanked by 1klikli
  • SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

@seedbox28 said: No that hard to brute force now that you told us ;) ...... 24 x 60 x 60 = 86400

Except if you're in a situation where you can brute force it, you're already on my box, and I've lost anyway.

You also don't seem to understand what 'date' returns.

Wed Aug 29 15:26:37 EDT 2012

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited August 2012

@Soylent said: Except if you're in a situation where you can brute force it, you're already on my box, and I've lost anyway.

Not in the default config (which has root login enabled). Also (assuming you are trying to bruteforce VMs set up in the last 3 days) it's 3x24x60x60 = 259,200

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

Time zone alone guarantees it's at least more complicated than that, but believe what you want. I feel fine using it.

Anyone willing to leave root login enabled over SSH is probably too fucking stupid to care if they have a good root password.

• @Soylent said: Time zone alone guarantees it's at least more complicated than that, but believe what you want.

How is the timezone in any way related to this? The password is generated on BuyVM's billing server which always has the same timezone.

• Excuse me while I do a victory dance over snagging an NY 128 OVZ.

• SoylentSoylent Member
    edited August 2012

@gsrdgrdghd said: How is the timezone in any way related to this? The password is generated on BuyVM's billing server which always has the same timezone.

Reread the discussion. We were talking about changing root passwords after install. Klikli mentioned using md5 on a random string, and I mentioned using date | sha1sum. Being able to crib the brute force depends on knowing the output of the UNIX 'date' command, for which the time zone is, indeed, a factor.

At any rate, another equally valid route is:

head -5 /dev/urandom | sha1sum

Thanked by 1klikli
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@ihatetonyy said: Excuse me while I do a victory dance over snagging an NY 128 OVZ.

I've never seen them stay up this long. Two available in Buffalo and 22 in San Jose as I post this.

• uptime | sha1sum would definitely do the trick. You have many factors: load, timestamp, uptime, and number of users

• @Soylent said: We were talking about changing root passwords after instal

Sorry my bad, i thought the discussion was about how secure the default password BuyVM generates is.

Thanked by 1Soylent
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

OMG I missed the 128MB in NY.... AGAIN FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!!! :(

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@risharde said: OMG I missed the 128MB in NY.... AGAIN FOR THE SECOND TIME!!!!! :(

They lasted like 40 minutes, you're gonna have to be faster :P

Thanked by 1risharde

@jarland thanks for the heads up, I just couldn't reach home in time to get it again, had traffic on the highway trying to get back home to get online ;( Looks like I'll have to take a helicopter next time lol

• AsadAsad Member

Has the public release happened yet?

• bubiebubie Member
    edited August 2012

Yes twice today. Next time tomorrow.
    There still is some stock

http://doesbuyvmhavestock.com/

• this is public release already right?

• @Jack said: Still lots of stock.

Is this an alternate universe or something?!

Thanked by 1seedbox28
    edited August 2012

I managed to snag a NY 256 at 7am (sold out quick!), had prepaid visa issues and accnt terminated, then still managed to snag a new one at 4pm. awesome :)

Someone with a fat internet connection in the states, whats the upload on these VPS look like? I did a wget from speedtest and i got about 18MB/s and only 9ms ping to google.com!

Finally!!! Got a 128 from NY! :) I can now sleep at night ;)

Thanked by 1jar