Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CDP.me - Open Source Linux Server Backups - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CDP.me - Open Source Linux Server Backups

Comments

• I hope you can make it work to backup kloxo too.

• @PetaByet said:
    Why not? I should have it ready in the next release.

Brilliant! I look forward to it, will mean can hopefully get rid of Bacula.

• @frank said:
    Brilliant! I look forward to it, will mean can hopefully get rid of Bacula.

;). What Bacula features did you like?

• TransNOC said: Backup job (614a4fafd8fa71de5301a104d4844b91) started Starting SQL backup MySQL query error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1

Did u make it work ?

• @KeyJey said:
    Did u make it work ?

Please see: https://github.com/PetaByet/cdp/issues/7

Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • Pardon if this is a dumb question but does this need root access to the target server or what exactly?

• @sidewinder said:
    Pardon if this is a dumb question but does this need root access to the target server or what exactly?

It does not. It only needs a user that has sufficient previleges to read the files / create the tar archive.

• @sidewinder said:
    Pardon if this is a dumb question but does this need root access to the target server or what exactly?

@PetaByet said:
    It does not. It only needs a user that has sufficient previleges to read the files / create the tar archive.

Unless you're backing up your grandma's photos from /home/grandma, yes, your backup server must have root access to every node.

So, if the backup server gets compromised, good luck. They will also have root access to every one of your nodes.

This is the reason I never use pulling backups.

• trvztrvz Member
    edited November 2014

@socials said:
    So, if the backup server gets compromised, good luck. They will also have root access to every one of your nodes.
    This is the reason I never use pulling backups.

Still better than nodes pushing their backups.

As CDP wants to be installed on a fresh system, it should also harden it.

Also, it would be nice if the backups could not be decrypted on the server. Encrypt them with a public key of mine, and I'll download them and decrypt locally.

But I like it so far. Thanks.

• socialssocials Member
    edited November 2014

@trvz said:
    Still better than nodes pushing their backups.

Why? From a security perspective pushing full encrypted backups* is the best option.

If you're doing diff backups, it's another topic. Diff backups and pushing don't go together. But I've yet to think of a good way to do encrypted diff backups (without the master having root access to every node) yet. If anyone has a good idea, let me know.

* Full as in the node tar's relevant directories, encrypts the archive and pushes the backup to the master backup server.

• @trvz said:
    Also, it would be nice if the backups could not be decrypted on the server. Encrypt them with a public key of mine, and I'll download them and decrypt locally.

What about GnuPG or RSA?

• @PetaByet

I found a glitch (not much to classify as bug).

Check marked points in attached screenshot, still have to add password after choosing no encryption.

• Sorry for behaving like a kid, but it's throwing some critical errors :

Check this one :

Faced this when i tried to backup one of my server, also tried to chown apache:apache to that directory & files where it's giving error but it's still same. Any workaround ?

You did a great work but it need some time to get it stable :) Best of luck with it.

• @Sady said:
    Sorry for behaving like a kid, but it's throwing some critical errors :

Check this one :

Faced this when i tried to backup one of my server, also tried to chown apache:apache to that directory & files where it's giving error but it's still same. Any workaround ?

You did a great work but it need some time to get it stable :) Best of luck with it.

I got the same yesterday when I tried CDP out. Would like to know how to fix this or why it's happening.

• tomletomle Member, LIR

It's not a bug, you haven't configured the permissions on your server correctly.
    See page 2 in this thread:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/785943/#Comment_785943

• @Sady said:
    I found a glitch (not much to classify as bug).
    Check marked points in attached screenshot, still have to add password after choosing no encryption.

Fixed.

@Sady said:
    Sorry for behaving like a kid, but it's throwing some critical errors :

Check this one :

It's easier if you just run it via the command line or using cron job as the system is designed for it.

• @PetaByet said:
    What about GnuPG or RSA?

I was thinking about GnuPG, yes. :)

Thanked by 1PetaByet
  • how to back up a whole dedicated server? I found it very annoying

• any of you have test and seeing that load is high rise or not? i will using this script in cpanel server if not rise too high.
    btw, nice script!

• @lewissue said:
    how to back up a whole dedicated server? I found it very annoying

give directory /

Thanked by 1PetaByet
  • @mgilang said:
    any of you have test and seeing that load is high rise or not? i will using this script in cpanel server if not rise too high.
    btw, nice script!

It just tar's the directory(s) and transfer the compressed archive to the backup server, so if your server has a good CPU and internet connection, this script shouldn't cause a lot (if any) disruption.

• AutoSnipeAutoSnipe Member
    edited December 2014

Hey @Petabyet doing some great work on this, any chance for some sort of partition backup or Block level? so i can take the whole /home or whole /vz etc

• @AutoSnipe said:
    Hey Petabyet doing some great work on this, any chance for some sort of partition backup or Block level? so i can take the whole /home or whole /vz etc

Using dd I'm assuming?

• hello,

This is a very good script.

I would like the same script, but with multiple users.

Did you plan this option?

• @comeback said:
    hello,

This is a very good script.

I would like the same script, but with multiple users.

Did you plan this option?

This script already supports multiple user accounts as well as ACL's :).

• @PetaByet said:

This script already supports multiple user accounts as well as ACL's :).

Thank you for the reply,

But I would manage quotas.

For example. propose that a person 10 GB of space and another 20 GB.

What to do?

thank you

• @comeback said:
    Thank you for the reply,

But I would manage quotas.

For example. propose that a person 10 GB of space and another 20 GB.

What to do?

thank you

Why would you want that?

• @PetaByet said:
    Why would you want that?

CDP as a Service

• afterSt0rmafterSt0rm Member
    edited December 2014

@PetaByet Does CDP provide a way to see the files inside backups? Can I restore backups in a per file/dir way? Ex.: I want to see if /etc/any.conf exists and restore it to the original node or for other. Is this possible?

• Oh, nice script. On a sidenote, it should mention somewhere that the entire /var/www folder gets deleted. I wasn't aware of that, lol.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ