Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPXCore - Page 26
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPXCore

Comments

• Quickly Skiddies, launch your mofuck'in 10GBIT floodz!

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@eastonch said: Quickly Skiddies, launch your mofuck'in 10GBIT floodz!

Now you've said it, if it happens.. yeah, you know..

• Pfffft; They got booted from their last DC from a 700MBit flood, That's actually not hard to accomplish, CVPS was hit by a 15GBIt on the second of this month, they had some "issues"; but not a total knock out.

@eastonch said: Pfffft; They got booted from their last DC from a 700MBit flood, That's actually not hard to accomplish, CVPS was hit by a 15GBIt on the second of this month, they had some "issues"; but not a total knock out.

The largeness (is that a word?) of the attack isn't the only thing that will bring the network down, if I understand correctly (very likely that I haven't) if the PPS is high enough for the switch, the switch can die because of the PPS rather than the largeness and at a smallish size. It just depends. I'm not sure what IPXcore's new switch is like, they're getting a new one now (now now) I think.

• Make the switch die, as in, completely fuck it, or just knock it out?

edited July 2012

@eastonch said: Make the switch die, as in, completely fuck it, or just knock it out?

Just knock it out for the time of the attack I think, although I'm by no means an expert. ;)
    I might've got the wrong end of the stick on this completely.

• Me either @Infinity; I'm quite sure any "load" that you throw onto a switch, it will somewhat cause some effect, and there's nothing that's "bomb proof" there's always going to be more malicious PPS that can be spammed to a switch than a switch can handle; it's A) Not getting targetted and B) having mitigation.

• RobertRobert Member

yeah I think PPS has a lot to do with it. The Dell 6224's I've been using at work are rated at a total of 136 Gbps and 95 Mpps

• DamianDamian Member

Switch cut-over is occurring at 10pm EDT, tonight July 12th. Shouldn't be more than a few minutes of downtime, if everything goes smoothly

• @Damian what's the new switch if you don't mind me asking.

• DamianDamian Member

@eastonch said: what's the new switch if you don't mind me asking.

Cisco 3550. Stopgap until we can rebuild capital and buy a more modern switch.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Infinity said: The largeness (is that a word?) of the attack isn't the only thing that will bring the network down, if I understand correctly (very likely that I haven't) if the PPS is high enough for the switch, the switch can die because of the PPS rather than the largeness and at a smallish size. It just depends. I'm not sure what IPXcore's new switch is like, they're getting a new one now (now now) I think.

The largeness is not the only thing, however it if the flood is large enough to saturate the pipe, would make a switch that can take large PPS useless.

• @eastonch, it wasn't us that got hit with 15Gbit, thankfully. It was another customer that flooded the core switch we were on at the time.

Sorry to derail this.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

• Looks like a damn old switch; what is it replacing?

• DamianDamian Member

Switch is switched.

• @eastonch, it may be an old switch, but still supports everything and isn't going to keel over :)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@Damian said: Switch is switched.

Some recursion right there.

Hot.

• PatsPats Member

Nah! pls donate it to ATJEU, it'll find company there and live good life again :)

@Damian said: @Kairus said: Hang it on your wall!

It's making us look bad (worse?), i'd rather take it out back and shoot it

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Actually, donating to a school, shelter, whatever you have there would be better.
    Anything than throwing away would do, unless the power consumed does not justify the usefulness (hardly in case of a switch).
    I am used to build networks from bits and pieces, a few years ago (5-7 or so) the network from the attics and trees around here had still a hub with bnc and 10 mb ports, with the bnc line going over a street.
    Since the internet is now faster than 10 mb, it is no longer justified even for internet only, not to mention sharing files inside, so it was eventually thrown away, but more modern hardware can find a new life someplace for sure.
    Please dont throw it away, it causes pollution both to dispose of it and make another.
    M

• If I lived near you I"d take it :P

then fiddle around with it and learn from it lol

• @liam said: Maybe he should pick a name out a hat (or sock) to somebody who wants it and has stuck with him through recent events?

lol just like what you did?

Good idea. But why does it have to be out of a hat/or sock and instead be like from an old server case or something? Much more festive.

Oh and provide party hats. People love Party Hats

• This is bigger than the WHMCS thread. LOL

@liam said: Maybe he should pick a name out a hat (or sock) to somebody who wants it and has stuck with him through recent events?

That would still mean some shipping cost, so maybe someone close should be considered.
    M

• Or the person who wants one can PAY for the shipping cost.

You know. Because they probably WANT it.

I know I'd be willing to pay shipping for a toy :P (as long as its not like 500 dollars)

@HalfEatenPie said: as long as its not like 500 dollars

Hence, you will be more eager if you are close.
    M

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited July 2012

@Maounique: I'm sure as long as its within the US is what I meant.
    Also I'm assuming its in Buffalo, New York. My US address is in Pennsylvania (the state over). Shipping would be cheap.

• DamianDamian Member

It's a Procurve 6108, an 8x 10/100/1000 level 3 switch: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06a/12136296-12136298-12136298-12136298-12136316-12136324.html?dnr=1

It is in Buffalo. I haven't discussed with them what happens with decommissioned hardware; i'd assume they'll ship things back, but not sure if there's a "handling and packing" fee or anything like that.

Free to anyone who wants to pay shipping and handling. I'll confirm with Adam that we don't want to keep it.

• @Damian can't @CVPS_Chris to ship it off to someone?

• DamianDamian Member

I'm sure he can, but we haven't discussed it yet.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Damian said: I'll confirm with Adam that we don't want to keep it.

It's a Procurve, why would want to keep it?

This discussion has been closed.