Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoodHosting... If only - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GoodHosting... If only

1235»

Comments

• @hostnoob said:
    Instead of banning the two countries, can't you set up automatic deployment, but manual approval and deployment for those two countries only?

Sadly no, WHMCS is a bit crap. That being said, we're already working on a more streamlined approach to OpenNebula (as we have posted around here already, the Control Panel we plan to Open Source and such). Once this is completed, there should not be any more provisioning delays, unless there's a serious issue with the order.

That being said, so many (50%+) LET orders (ones that use the LET coupon, or have a LET or copied post as the referral) use at least one of the following:

• A fake name (for example, their LET username)
    • A fake company name (again, LET username)
    • A fake address (completely different than IP, 123 Fake St, etc.)
    • A ColoCrossing VPS to order (pretty high rate actually)

It's kind of annoying really having to sort through these.

• @GoodHosting said:
    As per the service, please check your account; as the ticket created during your registration is where our staff reply with service information.

I suggest you check this ticket for yourself. Either I'm blind, or the service information isn't there as you said.

• @GoodHosting said:
    I never said it was the customers fault, and as such; the customer was both deployed and refunded. The other two customers have had the same treatment in this regards.

Hey my issue has been fixed by @GoodHosting so I don't really have issues anymore right now.
    So thank you to @GoodHosting to fixing my problem.

• @Gallaeaho said:
    I suggest you check this ticket for yourself. Either I'm blind, or the service information isn't there as you said.

Can you please provide me with the ticket ID or order ID so I can correlate this to an account in our system? A transaction ID or invoice ID would also suffice.

• @GoodHosting said:
    Can you please provide me with the ticket ID or order ID so I can correlate this to an account in our system? A transaction ID or invoice ID would also suffice.

Sure thing. The ticket number is #SUO-9490-PLL.

I don't readily have PayPal available so I hope that will work for you.

• @Gallaeaho said:

Ahh, please check the ticket now. As per the payment, it is currently "being reviewed by PayPal"; I do not have any option to Refund it or otherwise comment. I have left a "Note to PayPal" to go through with the refund however.

• Just wanted to confirm that I indeed have my service as of now. The refund is up in the air, but GoodHosting can't be held at fault because they did exactly what they were supposed to. That is now in the hands of PayPal.

• VPNVPN Member

@Gallaeaho said:
    Just wanted to confirm that I indeed have my service as of now. The refund is up in the air, but GoodHosting can't be held at fault because they did exactly what they were supposed to. That is now in the hands of PayPal.

Brainwashed.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Let's not drama this up more than necessary.

Customers have been sorted out and it appears @GoodHosting has made good on reparations for the issues.

For all the non-customers criticising, you've got some legit complaints, and obviously you're free not to take a service with GoodHosting if you don't like the idea of what amounts essentially a one man show with incredibly limited capability to operate when that one man isn't around.

Thanked by 2Dylan netomx
  • Nekki said: Let's not drama this up more than necessary.

Customers have been sorted out and it appears @GoodHosting has made good on reparations for the issues.

For all the non-customers criticising, you've got some legit complaints, and obviously you're free not to take a service with GoodHosting if you don't like the idea of what amounts essentially a one man show with incredibly limited capability to operate when that one man isn't around.

• A "one man show" logically has zero capacity when the one person is unavailable.
    • It would seem that @GoodHosting has staff, but has not delegated provisioning capabilities to those staff. So your "one man show" label is erroneous.
    • Rather than defuse the situation (which seems to be your intent in your first sentence) your errors of logic and fact (and usage of "incredibly") only add fuel to a nearly-extinguished fire. Come on moderator, be moderate.
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@sleddog said:
    It would seem that @GoodHosting has staff, but has not delegated provisioning capabilities to those staff. So your "one man show" label is erroneous.

I said it was 'essentially a one more show'. I think that is a fair reflection of the situation, as the staff appear to be unable to handle billing or provisioning. Given that the staff can't handle 2 of the most important tasks, I didn't think 'incredibly' is out of place.

I appreciate you may not share my opinion, but this is mine, please don't confuse an opinion piece with a statement of facts.

Finally I'm not here to be moderate. I'm here to be me, and I help out with moderation tasks at Maarten's request. I've never been asked to be 'moderate', and I never will be.

• Nekki said: I said it was 'essentially a one more show'.

So "essentially" means "almost" for you? Ummm, not quite...

But hey I'm not here to argue. I just thought your post was inflamatory and unnecessary.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sleddog said:
    So "essentially" means "almost" for you? Ummm, not quite...

No, that's not what I said. 'Essentially' to me means 'as good as', which again, I think is fair when the staff cannot undertake essential tasks - GoodHosting apparently cannot fully function as a hosting provider without Damon around, so I stand by my view. How would you describe a host that operates under these conditions? A hosting company with a single point if failure for multiple essential 'run the business' tasks?

This isn't an argument, this is a discussion, which I'm enjoying and I hope will continue. My intention wasn't to be inflammatory, it was to try draw a line under the situation as I see it. Time will tell if I achieved my aim or not. I might have been wrong, which is entirely possible as I am, after all, human.

• Nekki said: Time will tell if I achieved my aim or not. I might have been wrong, which is entirely possible as I am, after all, human.

This... this is the best thing I have heard all day...

• Nekki said: I said it was 'essentially a one more show'. I think that is a fair reflection of the situation, as the staff appear to be unable to handle billing or provisioning. Given that the staff can't handle 2 of the most important tasks, I didn't think 'incredibly' is out of place.

Nekki said: GoodHosting apparently cannot fully function as a hosting provider without Damon around, so I stand by my view.

These are two very valid and correct concerns that I share.

However, it is literally impossible for me to hire a local employee (someone whom I can have confidence in the ability thereof, and can pursue if they do something shady), as the minimum living wage here in Vancouver is $2,000 CAD per month. It's simply not worth $2,000 CAD for a single person to sit here and babysit this forum.

I have been speaking with a lot of other providers lately on their operating costs for local employees, and frankly it's incredible the rates at which people are able to live in other countries, I applaud those countries that don't have to pay $1,800 CAD per month to rent a single room in a shared house.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Vancouver

It's kind of annoying really. I'm open for suggestions if anyone here is willing to share of a legitimate source of bondable, actually knowledgeable staff that can actually speak (or at least write) English.

• all this drama over a $3.50 service... wow.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • BradBrad Member

@seaeagle said:
    all this drama over a $3.50 service... wow.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

• I never meant to start a war. /thread

• DylanDylan Member

GoodHosting said: It's simply not worth $2,000 CAD for a single person to sit here and babysit this forum.

It sounds to me like your problem is that you aren't good at managing your time -- there are a number of literal one-man-shows here who don't have the issues you're apparently having. Maybe the fact that they don't babysit LET is telling?

• rds100rds100 Member

You could consider just setting everything to "out of stock" when you know you are going on a vacation without internet access. This way there will be no disappointed customers who ordered and paid and didn't receive their service for days.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

First thing is to plan for every scenario that could happen for each sutuation.
    There will never be a 100% foolproof situation but if you plan well, the outcome will be better.

Using this occation as an example:

• as suggested: set stock to 0.
    • inform your staff when you will be back so they can pass on the information when needed.
    • inform your customers before you leave (announcement in WHMCS) what parts (delivery) that will be delayed while you are away.
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2014

You could just publish a note in your client's area that says something like "new provisionings will delay for a week, due to to XXXX reason", or as previous posters said, just don't accept new orders till you are ready to. And, less than a month of your previous drama with your long weekend, you should be more careful because all of these days of disappearing can easily turn to speculations about deadpooling, scamming etc. And not without a reason...

If you are one-man-show for critical things in your business, then, you should at least check what is going on at least once a day. There are no excuses about not having internet where you go. You should make sure that you will have access. If no, you should find someone that can handle all issues. Or else, consider not to run a business like that.

Hosting is not a clothes store, that you can take a long vacations and nobody would have an emergency to buy a pair of pants from you. But even in this case, if someone buy that pants from you, pay them, you call him to come to your store for delivering them and he finds out that your store is closed without a notice and stays closed for a week, what would he think?

Have this in mind: people here will watch from now on for a simple tiny minor mistake of yours and, on the other hand, it will take a lot of effort from you to gain popularity with the quality of service that will lead to some good reviews. It's very hard to build a reputation and very easy to destroy one. As an advice, keep that in mind.

I will try your service, even when now I will be very sceptical if I will or not use it for anything more than playing for the free month. You have to gain me back...

• jvnadr said: Have this in mind: people here will watch from now on for a simple tiny minor mistake of yours and, on the other hand, it will take a lot of effort from you to gain popularity with the quality of service that will lead to some good reviews. It's very hard to build a reputation and very easy to destroy one. As an advice, keep that in mind.

This bit being said, we have spectacular reputation outside of LET. Interestingly enough, outside of LET people generally have very harsh opinions of LET. It's not as if this were WHT and it would actually impact relations with other places...

FreeVPS.us

NationServer.info

Host4Post.eu

And many direct private sponsorships.

The rest of your post though, I agree with. That being said, nobody has ever bothered reviewing our services. I've checked what "reviews" are posted here on LET, and there are hardly ever reviews posted for a working service, only "reviews" posted when someone wants to bitch about 40MB/sec being a low network speed, or 100MB/sec being a low I/O speed, etcetera.

Sure there's nothing to review on our OVH nodes, as it's OVH and we're all quite aware of how OVH performs already (those HGST drives are pretty sexy though, they handle IOPs better than I've ever seen a spinning drive handle, so it works great for the local OS to be on RAID1 through the HGST, and VM data being remotely done through iSCSI.)

That being said, OVH is not our only location. It's the location that we shove most LET people on as they're the most proned to DDoS out of all of our customers (even our sponsorship / free clients attract less DDoS / "attacks" than LET clients do.) But we do give the customers a choice if they want a "typical OVH node with DDoS protection" or a "US location, 10Ge node drop, optional local RAID10 storage (lower latency storage, but not SAN), actually working IPv6, but no DDoS protection"; LET choose OVH more often than not.

I thank you for the feedback, and clearly I'm going to have to publish my every absence (or otherwise find a competent human being that I can trust to hire to handle the things that I can't trust my current contract staff with (due to privacy laws))

• @0xdragon said:
    Boxode's dick is so tiny

hey how do u know his dick is so tiny?

• @lelewku said:
    hey how do u know his dick is so tiny?

Why do you think he got banned?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2014

GoodHosting said: This bit being said, we have spectacular reputation outside of LET. Interestingly enough, outside of LET people generally have very harsh opinions of LET. It's not as if this were WHT and it would actually impact relations with other places...

If by saying "outside LET" you mean the sites that you mentioned, all of them are sites with low or almost none base of visitors (alexa.com is not accurate, but can show a big picture: while LET is around 7700, freevps.us is near 80.000 and the other tw0 are near 600.000). So, a good reputation in communities with 10-20 visitors per day, is not something that a company's owner should rely on.

As of WHT, it is like a mega-mart: if you produce something and sell it in those big players, it will be placed in a tall and huge shelf with 1000's of other similar products. So, it will be lost beneath it's competitors. LET is like a good local store that has a lot of daily customers but due to it's size, products are less and better focused to the store's client base.

In LET (and also the opposite VPSB), your (free) post will be seen by 1000's of readers daily, with less competition than WHT where over 100 vps offers are published daily.

As of the respect that posters (as you say) show to LET community, the opinions come mostly from the providers that don't like the limit of 7$ or they insist to ask 20-40$ for a 1GB vps and call it a bargain. Yes, they are trying to convince readers of WHT as... "redoubtable experts", that low end boxes are crap and you should not trust LET/LEB, you have to pay 3-4x to have a minimal service.

Well, we all know that almost all of that is BS. There some LET providers that offers services similar or even better IMHO than, e.g. Linode or AWS, even more if you hold in mind the price difference (Prometeus, Ramnode, Buyvm and others).

TL'DR
    In WHT, every small provider is almost nothing: it is very hard to gain even a minimum popularity there and your's, moreover, isn't anything special. In LET, you are more known and, depending on your overall behavior in this community, you can make a growing and stable business. So, do not underestimate LET, or their readers. And, believe me, even in WHT when a member asks for a cheap and stable vps, they send him here.

GoodHosting said: The rest of your post though, I agree with. That being said, nobody has ever bothered reviewing our services. I've checked what "reviews" are posted here on LET, and there are hardly ever reviews posted for a working service, only "reviews" posted when someone wants to bitch about 40MB/sec being a low network speed, or 100MB/sec being a low I/O speed, etcetera.

There are a lot of reviews here, even for new providers (a year or less in business) that are real reviews and good (or, sometimes, bad ones). For example, read the reviews for Dr.Server or for Crissic (even by people that know his previous behavior) or for INIZ or for DO or for Weloveservers or... the list is endless. I'm talking for reviews with benchmarks, true performance, reliability of service, support time / effectiveness etc. etc.

Maybe, the fact that nobody has reviewed your service, has something to do with the service itself or your approach. Maybe you have to find ways to make your clients have the need to drop one or twi good words for your service or be impressed and feel that they should share it with other members of the community.