Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Goodhosting.co Provider Legit or Going Under?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Goodhosting.co Provider Legit or Going Under?

FZhangFZhang Member

Reaching out to the forum population for help / advice. I signed up with Goodhosting a while ago and they were a good provider considering the costs. Damon was always willing to chat and help resolve any problems. And I honestly liked them and would prefer to continue my service with them.

But I'm in a dilemma, in April, I received an email from Goodhosting saying that they are changing their Chicago & Phoenix locations, and everyone MUST move to their Orlando location by May 15th. I did as they requested and had my VPS migrated to Orlando before their deadline. (Migration was completed in beginning of May)

Everything was fine and dandy with small hiccups but the kinks were all worked out. BUT, a day after their migration deadline (May 16th), I've lost all access to my VPS. It's now May 23rd and the issue is still not resolved. Multiple tickets to Help Desk resulted in no solution except the usual messages of "We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it", "No ETA on when it'll be fixed" and a variety of other excuses.

I'm really not sure how to handle this situation. Is Goodhosting a legit and still operating company? Should I be concerned or just be patient and let them work it out? Considering that they are still advertising their service on LET, I would assume the company is still operating. But, how could there be a network issue for 1 week with absolutely no ETA on when the problem would be resolved?

Comments

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

@FZhang said:
    Reaching out to the forum population for help / advice. I signed up with Goodhosting a while ago and they were a good provider considering the costs. Damon was always willing to chat and help resolve any problems. And I honestly liked them and would prefer to continue my service with them.

But I'm in a dilemma, in April, I received an email from Goodhosting saying that they are changing their Chicago & Phoenix locations, and everyone MUST move to their Orlando location by May 15th. I did as they requested and had my VPS migrated to Orlando before their deadline. (Migration was completed in beginning of May)

Everything was fine and dandy with small hiccups but the kinks were all worked out. BUT, a day after their migration deadline (May 16th), I've lost all access to my VPS. It's now May 23rd and the issue is still not resolved. Multiple tickets to Help Desk resulted in no solution except the usual messages of "We are aware of the issue and working to resolve it", "No ETA on when it'll be fixed" and a variety of other excuses.

I'm really not sure how to handle this situation. Is Goodhosting a legit and still operating company? Should I be concerned or just be patient and let them work it out? Considering that they are still advertising their service on LET, I would assume the company is still operating. But, how could there be a network issue for 1 week with absolutely no ETA on when the problem would be resolved?

After a week of downtime i'd look for a new host!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

.co => not legit.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@rm_ said:
    .co => not legit.

Why don't you like .co?

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • BellaBella Member

DeadPool in 3...2...1....

• They were on LEB two hours ago so we'll see. Agree with other people though OP, a week is too long!

• @rm_ a .co is more expensive than a .com and I prefer them myself, less to write. unless you mistaken it for a .cc???

At OP, I've not heard any bad threads about this provider so I would say your in good hands. Hopefully a rep will pop up for you.

• They are active here.We should get some replies soon

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited May 2014

--- Dealing with this at the moment. ---

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • wychwych Member

@GoodHosting said:
    HostDime received a complaint/report from a US Government department that the IP address 107.190.128.xxx had gained access to something of theirs;

Thats different.

• @GoodHosting said:

>

Woah. That's crazy and extremely unfortunate. Sorry that happened to you, and wish you best of luck finding a new DC and getting things back up!

• BoxodeBoxode Member

GoodHosting said: HostDime received a complaint/report from a US Government department that the IP address 107.190.128.xxx had gained access to something of theirs;

Proof? :~)

• @skybucks100 said:

Any hopes and luck should be towards our affected customers, who no doubt took a large hit in their services being interrupted like this.

I've sent you a PM. I'm not being allowed to disclose much sadly.

• wychwych Member

Did you get some?

VMbox said: Why don't you like .co?

I remember in mid-90s our marketplaces and stores were flooded with cheap asian knockoffs of quality Japanese electronics. Typically those would look very similar to the real deal, but the quality would be so much worse. And to not get sued (or I dunno why else), those companies made intentional typos in the brand names they put on their clones. So for example they would produce "Pawasonic" and not Panasonic stereos, "Sonny" instead of "Sony" cassette players, even the clothing market had a similar thing going on and there were "Abibas"-labeled sportswear clones of Adidas.

So the point of this short story is, .co is .com's Pawasonic, if you see what I mean.

If you don't, ".co" is a shameless cash-grab by the registrars, a bid to convince stupid and gullible people that it's "just as good as .com" (nope it isn't), and sell them those "more expensive than .com" domains all over again. If you bought and use a .co, you show the whole world that you are one of those people, and personally I will not consider to have any business with you.

Thanked by 3rds100 Mark_R Pwner

@rm_ said:
    If you don't, ".co" is a shameless cash-grab by the registrars, a bid to convince stupid and gullible people that it's "just as good as .com" (nope it isn't), and sell them those "more expensive than .com" domains all over again. If you bought and use a .co, you show the whole world that you are one of those people, and personally I will not consider to have any business with you.

I didn't buy it because of that reason and I would say 99% of others didn't either.

I bought it because it's short, memorable and 'co' is an acronym of 'company'. I would say your analogy is a little far fetched and to say you won't buy from someone just because they use a .co is pretty ridiculous. (In my opinion)

• GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited May 2014

@rm_ said:

Your argument is entirely off-topic, let alone baseless. Would you rather purchase from AllTheGoodNamesWereTakenCCHoster.com than a much shorter and easier to remember .co or .net domain extension? Or what about .hosting , .website , .server for example with the new gTLD market?

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • BoxodeBoxode Member

Don't believe that TLD exists, sir.

• @viCommunications said:
    Don't believe that TLD exists, sir.

Sorry, updated.

I could understand where @rm_ was coming from if we were "GoodHosting.cx"; "Goog1e.co"; "Crissic.co"; or "RAWNode.co" ; but we're not.

edited May 2014

VMbox said: I bought it because it's short, memorable and 'co' is an acronym of 'company'.

You bought it because you were professionally led into believing that a .co is just as good as .com (if not better). They also tried pushing .biz in the same manner, but that crashed and burned long ago, .biz became a junk TLD with crappy reputation, .co is their next attempt, and it'll share the same fate.

That you do not even understand what impression your choice of TLD creates to the audience at large (at least to people who got a clue, and not the ones who type "Mail" into Google to get to their Hotmail account), unfortunately does not create the greatest impression about you or your ability to lead a successful business.

GoodHosting said: Your argument is entirely off-topic, let alone baseless. Would you rather purchase from AllTheGoodNamesWereTakenCCHoster.com than a much shorter and easier to remember .co or .net domain extension? Or what about .hosting , .website , .server for example with the new gTLD market?

1) AllTheGoodNamesAreNOTtaken. There's plenty of hosts with good names in normal TLDs here at LET, and maybe only 2-3 that use ".co" or "biz". And those also typically don't fare too well in the long term.

2) If .com is taken, then heck, use .net, use your own country TLD (like all those Germany hosters working from .de). But .co or .biz, those are an instant alarming sign, almost akin to someone trying to run a company from a .tk domain. (I'm sure now someone will also try to convince me "what's wrong with a .tk? I got it because it's short and memorable") Typically I won't even read their offer or LET post if it's by one of those.

GoodHosting said: Or what about .hosting , .website , .server for example with the new gTLD market?

Early to say, but for one, those will be a sign you are a newf*g and have started your company just very recently and have not yet accumulated any experience or reputation behind you whatsoever.

• blackeyeblackeye Veteran

this is discussion about domain or solve the problem ? lol

Thanked by 1imp
  • @rm_ said:
    Early to say, but for one, those will be a sign you are a newf*g and have started your company just very recently and have not yet accumulated any experience or reputation behind you whatsoever.

Not everyone can get a good name, I managed to just get two good names which I have used / use. Not many people are lucky and you'll be saying .uk is sh*t becuase it's part of .co.uk? How pathetic can one be?

Back on topic:

@GoodHosting said:
    Hello FZhang,

Our Orlando nodes were up and running just fine until the 20th of May; I'm not sure why you were unable to access your Virtual Private Server between the 16th and the 20th. As per the issue itself, we have been privately disclosing what little details we can to our existing clients; I cannot say much more here.

The redacted version of current events is as follows:

• HostDime received a complaint/report from a US Government department that the IP address 107.190.128.xxx had gained access to something of theirs;
    • HostDime then takes it upon themselves to suspend the entire account immediately without forewarning (affecting multiple of our projects, among other providers we sold servers to.)

Past this, I have been unable to receive real information from them on the status of the situation, as nobody is willing to give me a straight answer. At this time, we are refunding all customers who still had an active service and were affected by this, as we assume that physical hardware has been seized at this point; considering the lack of information being released.

It's 12:30 AM at the time of writing (midnight); so I won't be as quick on responses, I do apologize. If you have yet to receive a service refund, please open a Support Ticket to Management directly; and we will sort you out.

We are also sorting out replacement services with a different datacenter, hopefully one that won't screw over their customers at the drop of a pin. I would expect more from an Enterprise provider. First SingleHOP, then HostDime ...

(So yes, we wouldn't mind dedicated server or colocation/transit offers from providers here if the service(s) can be up in a very short time, our customers need their services back.)

Yikes that's horrible and I hope they find the person behind it and get them sorted, but to take the whole server down without null routing the IPs, giving you a backup to get some clients over to a new provider (Server) whilst they investigate the information on it.

However I agree it's hard for you because you can't say much else they'll use it against you. Good luck with it mate :(

• FZhangFZhang Member

Licensecart said: behind

@GoodHosting said:
    Hello FZhang,

Our Orlando nodes were up and running just fine until the 20th of May; I'm not sure >why you were unable to access your Virtual Private Server between the 16th and the >20th. As per the issue itself, we have been privately disclosing what little details we can >to our existing clients; I cannot say much more here.

Hi Goodhosting,
    Thank you for the update. The reason why I said the server has been down since the 16th is due to looking at the support ticket date that I opened up last Friday around noon time. And a response on the 17th from Damon to the issue. So I highly doubt I have my dates wrong.

But, regardless I do appreciate the fact that you are responding here to the problem instead of leaving us customers in the dark. And that you are refunding customers their fees. And I truly hope you do find another solution asap.

Like I mentioned I do like Goodhosting and the service has been good previously. But this migration to the Orlando site has just been a nightmare.

Thanked by 1Licensecart
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@rm_ said:
    Typically I won't even read their offer or LET post if it's by one of those.

Typically those will be glad about not having any business with you...
    this because one have to assume you'll always judge about all and everything in this small minded manner you parade here ;-)

don't get me wrong, you for sure shall have any opinion regarding the significance of any TLD as you like... but only to arrogate to

understand what impression your choice of TLD creates to the audience at large

doesn't mean it really does.

for yourself please do what ever you like with providers using .co (e.g. ignore them), but no need to convince them on doing else or convince others they will be bad just because of choosing such a TLD...

• edited May 2014

Hello Low End Talk readers,

I would like to clear up some inconsistencies as much as I can without violating our privacy policy with our clients. I cannot say in specifics the truth, but I can gladly rebut any untruths posted.

@GoodHosting said:

• HostDime received a complaint/report from a US Government department that the IP address 107.190.128.xxx had gained access to something of theirs;

This is completely inaccurate. HostDime did not receive any contact from "a US Government department" regarding this user's account.

@GoodHosting said:

• HostDime then takes it upon themselves to suspend the entire account immediately without forewarning (affecting multiple of our projects, among other providers we sold servers to.)

Again, this is not accurate either. I have clear proof of exactly why the client's accounts were suspended, but it has nothing to do with any sort of government request. I would suggest "GoodHosting" contact his host (our direct client) to request the truth.

@GoodHosting said:
    Past this, I have been unable to receive real information from them on the status of the situation, as nobody is willing to give me a straight answer. At this time, we are refunding all customers who still had an active service and were affected by this, as we assume that physical hardware has been seized at this point; considering the lack of information being released.

It's 12:30 AM at the time of writing (midnight); so I won't be as quick on responses, I do apologize. If you have yet to receive a service refund, please open a Support Ticket to Management directly; and we will sort you out.

We have been in contact with our direct client multiple times regarding their account and subsequent suspension, and clearly stated steps in which to reactivate services, but those steps have not yet been followed.

Again, just to clarify as much as I feel comfortable doing, "GoodHosting" does not have all of the details in regards to their services being suspended at HostDime, and we will not stand for inaccuracies such as government fearmongering to be done in this way. While I do not feel comfortable posting proof of the situation, I do put my and HostDime.com, Inc.'s 11 years in the hosting/datacenter industry on the line when I say that all of what I posted above is true and accurate. The reader may choose who or what to believe, but I hope this statement of reputation clarifies our stance.

Thank you all and I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend ahead.

(edit: Removed signature as I forgot it was right below here)

• VPNVPN Member

@rm_ said:
    and personally I will not consider to have any business with you.

Presumably you never use Twitter or any Google services.

• BoxodeBoxode Member

Well, @GoodHosting , thank you for lying to me :)

Dennis, thank you for clearing that up. @DimeNOC_Dennis

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited May 2014

Well, I think that node crashed or over bill for anything else ?

@GoodHosting were hosting all vps storage on RAM.

One reboot = Happy End to customers vps!

^ http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/26639/ram-caching

@DimeNOC_Dennis thanks for making it clear for us.

Regarding @GoodHosting he is the same person who owned @HardCloud and then re-branded it.

^ http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/20710/hardcloud-has-been-purchased-and-is-being-liquidated

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

It's sounding like somebody hasn't paid their bills.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member

@GoodHosting Maybe if you took time focusing on your company instead of trying to bash us you'd be better off, but when I told you to "focus on your microscopic hosting company"and you backed off, well, too little too late?

Some people these days. Wow.