Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server - Page 30
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi.... 4.99 euro dedicated server

Comments

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited May 2014

@earl said:
    You can try Maounique suggest and try a different OS, other than that I suppose you would have to wait for support to get back to you on it..

Exactly the same on a fresh Debian install. I tried to boot back into rescue mode to see if I could spot any differences in config between the working rescue mode and the non-working Debian install.

The interfaces file is the same, but the results for the 'ip -6 route' command differ:

Rescue:

root@rescue:~# ip -6 route
    2001:41d0:8:9d98::/64 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256
    2001:41d0:8:9dff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0  metric 1024
    2001:41d0:8:9d00::/56 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256  expires 2591569sec
    fe80::/64 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256
    default via fe80::da24:bdff:fe90:b0c0 dev eth0  proto ra  metric 1024  expires 1369sec
    default via fe80::264:40ff:fe3a:fac0 dev eth0  proto ra  metric 1024  expires 1369sec

Debian:

root@abigail:~# ip -6 route
    2001:41d0:8:9d98::/64 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256
    2001:41d0:8:9dff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0  metric 1024
    fe80::/64 dev eth0  proto kernel  metric 256
    default via 2001:41d0:8:9dff:ff:ff:ff:ff dev eth0  metric 1024

There are three differing lines on the rescue one (in bold). Could this be the issue? If so what commands do I need to give Debian to replicate the rescue config?

I've written all this in a support thread at Kimsufi, but I don't know how many days it will take to get a response!
    http://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?25847-Cannot-Ping6-or-Traceroute6-from-Kimsufi-KS-1

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@nimdy said:

Did you change the IP?

iface eth0 inet6 static
    address 2001:41d0:8:9d98::555

Default install should come with

address 2001:41d0:8:9d98::1

IPv6 is in Hexadecimal to make a long story short.. if you wish to try different ip's you can do anything from 2001:41d0:8:9d98::1 - 2001:41d0:8:9d98::9

• nimdynimdy Member
    edited May 2014

@earl
    Yes the default was 1. Think I tried 2, 10 then 555 (out of desperation and not understanding the numbering properly!)

Better change my post back to 1 so the KS bods don't pick up on the same point.

• J1021J1021 Member

Does the CPU and RAM graphs work for anyones server?

• RazzaRazza Member

1e10 said: Does the CPU and RAM graphs work for anyones server?

mine works ok

• J1021J1021 Member

Razza said: mine works ok

Hmm, what distro are you running?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Probably the one with their monitoring tools :P

• J1021J1021 Member

Maounique said: Probably the one with their monitoring tools :P

I am using Debian and have RTM installed. It reports usage in real time (i.e. if I hover over the CPU icon on the main dashboard it will display '26%' etc) but isn't keeping historical graph data.

• earlearl Member

@nimdy said:
    earl
    Yes the default was 1. Think I tried 2, 10 then 555 (out of desperation and not understanding the numbering properly!)

Yeah.. as I mentioned the only thing I can see is something with your gateway. see if you can ping your gateway from outside the network while in rescue mode.

Not sure if in rescue mode it gets routed to a different router or what but probably something you should mention in the support ticket.

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited May 2014

C'est Windows!

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

okay, i just extend my box again. When it expire they dont shutdown it, they just disconnect it from network.

• nimdynimdy Member

@Infinity580 said:
    okay, i just extend my box again. When it expire they dont shutdown it, they just disconnect it from network.

I was about to query that. Just had my renew email come through and wondered how it worked. Because of my troubles listed above I'm trying to decide whether to let my KS1 expire and get a KS3 when they're available again. That way I have more resources (plex should work better for me) and I can play with Windows through KVM.

The only thing that is bugging me is the cost. £5 for a hobby mess around machine is fine, but £15 is a bit more to spend out each month.

Oh the choices!

I would stay with ks, by the looks of it, there wont be stock for much longer.
    You can still use windows on it, i think it works if you disable kvm acceleration. At the very least, a virtualbox should do, but it is not going to perform miracles.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

Those stats are a nice addition, they really do need to add Windows support though.

One of those i3's would be a nice RDP.

• earlearl Member

@Maounique said:

disable kvm acceleration.

It's really slow thought! and if I recalled correctly I can only get XP working at least for windows.

• earlearl Member

@rmlhhd said:
    Those stats are a nice addition, they really do need to add Windows support though.

One of those i3's would be a nice RDP.

In proxmox you can do a couple of windows.. I have it running on ipv6 only with NAT for ipv4.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@earl said:
    In proxmox you can do a couple of windows.. I have it running on ipv6 only with NAT for ipv4.

On the i3's?

earl said: In proxmox you can do a couple of windows..

on ks-1 or 3?

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited May 2014

Out of stock :(

• earlearl Member

@Maounique @rmlhhd

Yes definitely on the i3's..

There is also the option for vmware which is not offered on the atom.. and you can actually install proxmox as a guest OS under vmware but unfortunately proxmox can't run on ipv6 only it needs ipv4.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2014

rmlhhd said: Ooh, they must be getting some new deals...

What makes you think that? Nothing new on the screenshot, they're periodically out of stock on all servers, and that's their usual information panel when they are.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • nimdynimdy Member

I'd read before that Windows was possible on KS1, but dog slow. The KS3 has its adavantages - faster processor with VT for Windows KVM, 1TB HDD which will help for my Plex server. i3 processor should help transcode better too (it kills the processor on the Atom with some of my media).

Just as I was about to make the decision to pick up an i3, they went out of stock again. Typical!

nimdy said: 'd read before that Windows was possible on KS1, but dog slow.

It depends, on 2 gb with 2800's, it should be usable, of course, it depends what you are actually doing on it, but for browsing and remote desktop, should do ok. As a VM, that is another matter, it is possible, but as you said, dog slow.

• sc754sc754 Member

@Maounique said:
    It depends, on 2 gb with 2800's, it should be usable, of course, it depends what you are actually doing on it, but for browsing and remote desktop, should do ok. As a VM, that is another matter, it is possible, but as you said, dog slow.

I found windows server 2008 worked really nice with remote desktop on the atom. Could do some browsing and move around without lag on RDP. It was definately usable as a second desktop

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • nimdynimdy Member

@Maounique said:

I've tried the native Windows 8 install on the Atom and it works really well, but make one wrong move with it (i.e. screw up something on the firewall) and I lose all access to the server. At least with KVM on an i3 I would be able to use the KVM features to recover my server if something goes wrong.

All this server stuff is a hobby for me. I don't really have anything important to host on it. I like to tinker.

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member

@rm_ said:
    What makes you think that? Nothing new on the screenshot, they're periodically out of stock on all servers, and that's their usual information panel when they are.

I've never seen that box before so I thought they may be getting new stuff.

nimdy said: but make one wrong move with it (i.e. screw up something on the firewall) and I lose all access to the server

Hehe, that is valid with any OS, if you block yourself with iptables or pf wont be less blocked...

• nimdynimdy Member

@Maounique said:
    Hehe, that is valid with any OS, if you block yourself with iptables or pf wont be less blocked...

This is very true. But with the tinkering I've been doing with Proxmox, I tend to leave the host alone configuration wise and much around with the containers. If something goes wrong I can either nuke the CT or run 'vzctl enter xxx' and be inside the container even if I break the networking on it.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

I think the i3 is a real bargain!

Actually I saw singlehop selling an i5 with pretty much the same specs as the kimsufi if not less, and they were asking $159/mo!!

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@Jack said:
    Can't compare Singlehop to OVH...

Well OVH at BHS is pretty good.. but can't really comment cause I've never had a server at singlehop.. I was pointing out that for specs wise kimsufi is a bargain!

I don't think all my servers combine amount to $159/mo and I have quite a few..