Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Sincere Thank You
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A Sincere Thank You

AldryicAldryic Member
edited May 2012 in General

There seems to be a good deal of hate for the LE* volunteers of late, and to be frank I find that rather disgusting. Sure, there was some initial rockiness right after the transition; trying to get everything organized, dealing with DoS showers and spammers, making concessions for community demand while trying to maintain balance and order. No easy feat, I don't care who you are or what your 'experience' with community management might be. And yet, aside from scattered kudos from the more understanding members, all of the volunteers have faced nothing but criticism, scorn, and the occasional insult for their efforts. The ONLY person to actually make an active move and say "I don't like how LEB is running now, so I'll make my own site", and actually do it, has been @taipres. So hats off to him for at least doing more than talk big... but on the other hand, he deserves a beating with that same hat for all of his drama; an overall failure if 'doing a better job' was actually his goal.

To those of you that offered actual constructive criticism, and even helpful suggestions, thank you for actually supporting the community and positing a productive environment. For those of you that simply bitch and cry without giving helpful input, cry some more.

LEB has been consistently rolling out a new offer every 1-3 days for a good month now. That's frequent enough to keep postings fresh, and spread out enough to give these offers some decent viewtime. Sure, we see some repeats... be reasonable folks, there's simply no possible way to list only unheard-of providers. We'd get what, maybe a couple weeks worth of posts before we run out of LEB offers from new companies? And yes, it is nice to see new providers. The writers aren't omnipotent... if you know of a new provider they haven't mentioned yet, why don't you simply kick an email their way with some details? We're a community, folks. That means we all chip in, not just expect a handful of people to do everything we want, exactly how we want it.

Let's not forget the guys manning the guns over here on LET, either. Despite all of the drama, asshattery, and claims of "BuyVM runs the show", the moderators do a damn good job. Fair and unbiased, and not overly strict. Look at all the silliness that went on in the past couple of days; most of it was all in good fun (or just poorly executed :P), so they had no reason to Nazi it up. And yet, when things do get personal/out of hand, or if someone is legitimately violating the few rules in place, they handle the issue efficiently and without fanfare.

So, to all of you folks volunteering your time (both on LEB and LET) and putting up with our bullshit, thank you. You've done far more good for the community than all of the naysayers and jackasses could even attempt to. If they don't like that LE* hasn't been molded in their image of a perfect utopia.. fuck 'em. You guys are fantastic, keep up the awesome work.

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Well put @Aldryic

It's evident that the writers are attempting to improve and accept criticism from people, which is great. I appreciate the time they're putting in, despite all the crap they have to put up with, and hope their commitment and contribution continues.

Thanks guys.

• Nicely put

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @Liam I don't think anyone is mad at any of the moderators, I think people are generally mad at Chief for disappearing and preventing the writers from doing their thing.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • TaylorTaylor Member

TL:DR

Thanked by 1beard
  • JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited May 2012

@liam said: When people saying that he is posting offers for his mates or trying to use it for securedragons benefits that's utter nonsense.

I don't think I've seen much of this at all.. Who is saying this stuff?

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran
    edited May 2012
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

You're a boss @Aldryic, very nicely put, of course as a moderator I don't get as much of a beating as the LEB writers etc, however it still happenes but no where near as bad as all the recent LEB and Chief bashing.

All of the LE* staff are doing and have done a good job in my opinion and useful suggestions and feedback will only make it better. Of course no one can deny that issues exist either but difficulties always exist, from difficulties comes ease. :)

I hope people do understand that saying LE* is crap isn't going to do anything, if you hate it that bad then nothing is forcing you to stay.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@liam said: hey you can't time travel over something trivial

Can I time travel over something serious?

Because I want to go back about 30 years and tell people to go straight to 64-bit IP addresses.

• @raindog308 said: Because I want to go back about 30 years and tell people to go straight to 64-bit IP addresses.

Probably wasn't technically possible todo that at the time, giving that computers were what? 8bit.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@raindog308 said: Because I want to go back about 30 years and tell people to go straight to 64-bit IP addresses.

>

But you will meet someone telling them to go straight to go to 128-bit IP addresses.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • DamianDamian Member
    edited May 2012

@Infinity said: All of the LE* staff are doing and have done a good job in my opinion and useful suggestions and feedback will only make it better.

+1

@Taylor said: TL:DR

YS;IWW

Thanked by 1Kuro
  • nabonabo Member

@Damian said: YS;IWW

BAIK;WTF;FUA;BOT;BFN

• @Daniel said: Probably wasn't technically possible todo that at the time, giving that computers were what? 8bit.

Vint Cerf:

One of the decisions his team needed to make was the size of the address space in the packets.

Some researchers wanted a 128-bit space for the binary address, Cerf (recalled) ... But others said, "That's crazy," because it's far larger than necessary, and they suggested a much smaller space. Cerf finally settled on a 32-bit space that was incorporated into IPv4 and provided a respectable 4.3 billion separate addresses.

"It's enough to do an experiment," he said. "The problem is the experiment never ended."

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

Yeah, again one of those... we don't understand criticism, it's all good, we do the best we can... while ship is sinking.

As active member of this community for some long time I think that I can afford honesty without being stoning (distance helps :P )
    I am wondering, disregarding meaningless fake thread (nothing personal to op here - it's just my personal feeling reading it)... how much traffic LEB lost in last few months and how much traffic will LEB lost in incoming months... years... when even those few posters lost motivation to deal with unmanaged semi-forgotten website incapable to reach community interest like "old" lowendbox.com did.

I know.. nothing constructive added by me in lines above, neither I will as I did that most of the time in my previous posts and I would just repeat myself however I had a need to to express this disregarding the fact that my statement wouldn't win popularity contest here. Thread was maybe meant to encourage community to not lose hope over LEB however sadly it has nothing to do with lowendbox.com reality. lowendbox.com was great resource of informations, now it's not. It's just "special offer/coupon code" site from most hosts we know anyway.

I just said what I thought and this is it. /me is crawling back under the rock to prevent unecessary flaming.

• @quirkyquark That I did not know.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

@Infinity said: I hope people do understand that saying LE* is crap isn't going to do anything, if you hate it that bad then nothing is forcing you to stay.

good point, but LE* is addictive much!

Thanks for this @Aldryic, had to be said. Things will get better with our all effort and help I think :)

• @liam you've forgotten me :<

• DerekDerek Member

My drama senses are tingling.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

rocks. :)

Thanked by 1Liam
  • Pretty much, I agree entirely with what @Aldryic said, the volunteers are doing an awesome job with few to little in the way of resources and should be commended for their excellent work.

Hats off to you all!

Thanked by 1Liam
  • IntcsIntcs Member
    edited May 2012

That's put together very well. I have been having really good time with any thread I participate in or follow here.

Constantinos Coudounaris*

*Just kidding

• laaevlaaev Member

@Intcs said: Constantinos

You're Constantinos?

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Nah I think he's trolling.

• IntcsIntcs Member

@FTN_Kevin said: You're Constantinos?

No I'm not even CEO anywhere to begin with.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@Aldryic said: but on the other hand, he deserves a beating with that same hat for all of his drama; an overall failure if 'doing a better job' was actually his goal.

I have done a lot better Job than LEB, only someone lieing to themselves would deny that, infact expect LEB to start copying my sites format etc...it's almost guaranteed. Also i've gotten your company a tremendous amount of exposure/attention, so QQ.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

@taipres said: infact expect LEB to start copying my sites format etc...it's almost guaranteed

It will be extremely hard not to copy such a generic format though. I've been working on a new template for LEB and unfortunately it will require sentences, lists, and possibly tables and images.

Thanked by 2Aldryic Liam
  • taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@KuJoe said: It will be extremely hard not to copy such a generic format though. I've been working on a new template for LEB and unfortunately it will require sentences, lists, and possibly tables and images.

For being so generic I haven't seen anyone do it before me? LEB been around 4 years and i've taken a look at similar sites. But it's whatever Kujoe, I know you're just doing your best, I hope ultimately all control of LEB is given over to you and you make LEB what it should be.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Go ahead and flame me for this, but I was thinking today.....

People are complaining about not enough posts etc. Why not have a few more "filler posts". If the host has already been posted then there should be no work needed, just throw them up there.

I know your standing behind the whole "were giving new hosts a shot deal", but that doesnt mean you stop posting the regulars here either. We all work hard to offer a service that is reliable and it would be nice to keep offering those services and just not get pushed aside.

Again, I am not trying to start drama, just stating an opinion.

• Chris
    Thanked by 1Francisco
  • miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@CVPS_Chris said: I was thinking today.....

And how long has it been my son since your last thought?

Thanked by 1Francisco
This discussion has been closed.