Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is RamNode so Popular ? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is RamNode so Popular ?

Comments

• Nick_A said: I like their white chocolate mochas.

these are basically milkshakes

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2014

@texteditor said:
    these are basically milkshakes

Um, I don't think milkshakes contain espresso.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

You might be thinking of the vanilla frappuccino @texteditor ? WCMs are nothing like milkshakes.

• @Nick_A said:
    You might be thinking of the vanilla frappuccino texteditor ? WCMs are nothing like milkshakes.

Man, that sounds really good. I haven't had one of those in a long, long time.

• the medium still has 500 calories, kinda terrified to look up the frap

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Nick_A said: white chocolate mocha

+1

I also like Caffe Verona. Pike Place (the regular drip coffee that they serve) is terrible.

• Pshhhh. Coffee is for women. Real men spend their dollars at Ramnode.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • How about real coffee, with no added syrup? Anyone? Just me? Okay, just me.

To stay on topic: Ramnode rox!

Thanked by 2Amitz Nick_A
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

For drinking just coffee try the Peerless Columbian/French i think it's called :) you won't find it at Starbucks though.

• Ramnode's alexa is growing day by day. Now it reached 20.8K : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ramnode.com

• LeeLee Veteran

GVH is far better than Ramnode to be honest.

/runs....

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@W1V_Lee said:
    GVH is far better than Ramnode to be honest.

/runs....

He's a witch, burn him!

• khavkhav Member

@click4easy said:
    Ramnode's alexa is growing day by day. Now it reached 20.8K : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/ramnode.com

Simple ....Many of those who are interested in web hosting install alexa toolbar , therefore the ranking improve very very fast

Moreover there is no doubt that ramnode is one of the best out there as far as LEB is concerned.

• Because when you have quality services, mixed with quality hardware and a quality network, then wrapped up with outstanding customer service, you get ramnode.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Recents events made me believe, that RamNode isn't really useable for production services. Somebody's server that I manage was with RamNode and the person ran a low-medium sized board on there.
    Despite choosing a 4core plan, he constantly got cpu warnings. The server ran nginx with php-fpm, xcache, mysql and the board was optimised aswell, also CloudFlare is used as a frontend.
    While cpu-load bounced from 4-15 on the RamNode server, he is now with Vultr and sees load between 0.5-1.0. I can't imagine why the load on the Vultr server is so much better, despite only having 2 cores there and running the exact same setup.
    So either the node he was on with RamNode was pretty filled or RamNode has a much lower amount of cpu you can use without getting a high cpu load.

Thanked by 1click4easy

Which virtualization and what was the ticket ID?

• @Nick_A said:
    Which virtualization and what was the ticket ID?

271307, openvz

• @tr1cky said:

Post back the results if you can please when resolved. :)

Ok, a few things to mention: you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of virtualization. Secondly, our CPU load limits wouldn't cause your VPS to use 15 cores. Lastly, NLSVZ10 isn't any more loaded than any other VZ node where blaming it on that would hold water.

Apparently your client was using some script to check every minute if he was under an http DDoS attack and then enable CloudFlare protection based on that. I'm not sure what to make of his account in general or why he didn't want to just leave CloudFlare enabled as opposed to constantly generating large CPU spikes due to the delay of his script. We also offered him DDoS protection which he rejected on the basis that a friend told him it wouldn't help.

In short, we gave your client plenty of chances to find a permanent solution to the dramatic spikes. It looks like the CPU load tickets date back 3 months. I'm sorry you feel we aren't production worthy based on this particular event, but I believe many of our clients would attest to the idea that we are.

Thanked by 2george Davidx

I should also add we are more than happy to move people to other nodes if they want to confirm load problems. It doesn't sound like that option matters for your particular case at this point.

• @Nick_A said:
    Ok, a few things to mention: you're comparing apples to oranges in terms of virtualization. Secondly, our CPU load limits wouldn't cause your VPS to use 15 cores. Lastly, NLSVZ10 isn't any more loaded than any other VZ node where blaming it on that would hold water.

I saw cpu load graphs in solusvm going as high as 15, maybe that's not the load that was produced for the whole node by this one server but the vps showed loads of up to 15.
    For virtualization type, I don't understand what you mean. Yes, isolation could be better, but as far as I can see Vultr assigns two E3-1230v3 and you assign four E3-1230v3 cores to a server and both of you clock them at 3.3ghz.

Apparently your client was using some script to check every minute if he was under an http DDoS attack and then enable CloudFlare protection based on that. I'm not sure what to make of his account in general or why he didn't want to just leave CloudFlare enabled as opposed to constantly generating large CPU spikes due to the delay of his script. We also offered him DDoS protection which he rejected on the basis that a friend told him it wouldn't help.

CloudFlare was infront of the site all the time and the script was just used to turn the DDoS protection page on and off by measuring cpu load. Max time for the script to kick in would have been like 2 minutes (1 minute cron + the CloudFlare API changing the settings in the account). The script would have turned on the DDoS protection page for 1 hour and then would only turn it off again if server load was low. 1-2 minute spikes every hour wouldn't have caused cpu warning tickets or would they?
    Also for your DDoS protection, I told him that he would maybe benefit from it in some ways but would risk to get taken down by 10gbps+ udp attacks (which CloudFlare would handle because of the nature of the service) and because of you AUP and Staminus' "not so good" http flood protection, it could still cause high load and the server would still get suspended. That's why I also submitted a ticket first, because I wanted to make sure that leaking HTTP floods on DDoS protected IPs, causing high cpu load, wouldn't get you suspended:

In short, we gave your client plenty of chances to find a permanent solution to the dramatic spikes. It looks like the CPU load tickets date back 3 months. I'm sorry you feel we aren't production worthy based on this particular event, but I believe many of our clients would attest to the idea that we are.

I know this client wasn't thrown off the train in a day, but I saw other providers get hammered with negative comments, because they had such things like a max. 1.0 load in their AUP, despite offering 4 cores. There wouldn't have been a problem, if there had been strict limits, but I know it's hard to achieve on OpenVZ.

• Stable, performance and reliable period.

RAMNODE has the perfect mix.

• tdc_admtdc_adm Member

Ramnode is good. But they are not "high ram" provider anymore.

• @tdc_adm said:
    Ramnode is good. But they are not "high ram" provider anymore.

Guess that depends on what you consider "high ram"

• kyakykyaky Member

the only sad thing is they don't have cashout affiliate earning, only to account balance

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@kyaky said:
    the only sad thing is they don't have cashout affiliate earning, only to account balance

Keeps away abusers I imagine. It's already proven that the internet can't be trusted to have nice things.

Thanked by 1Scion
  • I have 3 VPS's with RamNode, and they have all been great. Very little downtime. Very fast network speeds, and really great IO speeds as well. Also, the support can't be beat!

• wychwych Member

@Nekki said:
    Keeps away abusers I imagine.

That it is.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@tr1cky said:
    Max time for the script to kick in would have been like 2 minutes (1 minute cron + the CloudFlare API changing the settings in the account). The script would have turned on the DDoS protection page for 1 hour and then would only turn it off again if server load was low. 1-2 minute spikes every hour wouldn't have caused cpu warning tickets or would they?

I'm sorry but the way I read your post and the post by @Nick_A I get two different stories.
    Nick says the cron job was ran every minute and you say it was one minute every hour?
    Not trying to blame anyone, only want to understand the situation completly.

• kyakykyaky Member

@Nekki said:

so abusers don't buy VPSes from a provider that doesn't have affiliate cashout. what the logic is that?