Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is RamNode so Popular ? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is RamNode so Popular ?

Comments

• The above load problems is exactly what you have to do if you want to make money selling cheap VMs. You buffer in a certain level of overselling to make sure you don't impact everyone involved.

The seminal question has been do you sell a VM without overselling at 5x the price or do you oversell. Most people choose to oversell and do fine and if you get large enough, you can acctually survive the small disruptions.

Our customers would not be too happy if we shut off their vms so they pay a bit more ($20-30 per vm) and we have a bit more breathing room.

Finally on CPU, not all hosts prioritize. WE think its actually unfair to give someone who buys more ccores both priority and more cores. We just sell you the cores at equal utilization - otherwise, its like someone taking money out of your pocket

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2014

I doubt if quality product will help much in Alexa rank

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2014

ServGrid said: Plenty of companies "automate away" and go for volume. Digital Ocean is one of those and they have been very successful.

The point I was making is that it's not just about scaling. Digital Ocean IIRC is $5/m for their smallest plan. that's 300% more than $15/y being mentioned here.

No good having the technical means but someone who is inept at dealing with people for sales/tech/marketing.

"Cloud" .... heh. Well when the cloud prophecy is fulfilled then perhaps the price point will be lower than the LEB guy and squash the industry.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

Everything everyone just said here probably isn't the main reason some providers do well and others don't. There are lots of providers with good products, good support, good prices, good reviews.

Hosting is a numbers game. You gotta get the customers then you gotta keep them. You cannot do that just by being good when there are thousands of competitors who are also good.

I'll let you in on a not so secret secret. SEO...SEO...SEO. Then once the customers find you you do everything you can to keep them. That is all there is to it. However most people cannot get that simple formula right or just cannot figure that out. They focus on making their website prettier and/or their prices lower or whatever.

I'm not going to tell you how to do SEO because that is really the secret sauce imho. All I will say is that being lazy will get you the results you deserve. If you just try throw money at it to get some so called SEO expert to do stuff that probably won't do much either. They will do all the textbook things that an internet search will tell you to do but now a days you gotta do a lot more if you want Google to give you more luv.

• khavkhav Member

I run a web proxy on ramnode server....Its a relatively busy site with 10k+ pageviews per day.The reasons why i use ramnode is because of their amazing uptime , professionalism , hardware quality , support(Nick_A is very helpful) .

I just wish that the bandwidth addons were cheaper lol

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • CakeyCakey Member

@khav said:
    I run a web proxy on ramnode server....Its a relatively busy site with 10k+ pageviews per day.The reasons why i use ramnode is because of their amazing uptime , professionalism , hardware quality , support(Nick_A is very helpful) .

I just wish that the bandwidth addons were cheaper lol

Uh, I'm pretty sure they only allow personal proxies not open ones

• khavkhav Member

@Cakey
    You are wrong ....i asked them about it and they said they are ok with it.Been running it since 4-5 months.
    Also running a proxy isn't synonymous to abuse ..You just need to configure it well , keep logs for a reasonable amount of time and block payment gateways(paypal , skrill etc) and it keep abuses at bay

• sman said: I'm not going to tell you how to do SEO because that is really the secret sauce imho.

Class C IPs? :p

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@concerto49 said:
    Class C IPs? :p

shhhh

Thanked by 2mpkossen perennate
  • smansman Member
    edited April 2014

If the class C thing is what I think you are talking about that is just another parlor trick. Google has a long history of frowning on tricks and eventually shutting them down hard and putting you in the back of the bus.

The ONLY good SEO is doing what search engines want you to do imho. Not trying to fake it.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

RamNode reminds me of Starbucks. It's above average, great customer service, and it's not just about the product but an enjoyable experience as well. Oh, and it's f*cking awesome VPS hosting.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • I've been with RamNode for some time now (on an SKVM 1024 in their Netherlands location). The box has been up since the day I powered it on, I think - '17:08:22 up 172 days'. It's incredibly quick as you'd expect from an SSD, and it's fully encrypted too.

In fact, I was wondering now that I need a second VPS whether I should even look elsewhere? I know you shouldn't have too many things in 1 place which is why I'm contemplating another service (perhaps Prometeus), but I might just stay with RamNode and use Seattle or Atlanta - at least I'm using a different data centre/country that way :)

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • khav said: I just wish that the bandwidth addons were cheaper lol

True, this morning I had to buy a $4 BW pack because I ran out. :P (Entirely my fault and Matt helped me quickly. :))

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • @shovenose said:
    RamNode reminds me of Starbucks.

Your avatar reminds me of Starbucks.

• smansman Member
    edited April 2014

@shovenose said:
    RamNode reminds me of Starbucks. It's above average, great customer service, and it's not just about the product but an enjoyable experience as well. Oh, and it's f*cking awesome VPS hosting.

Or you can go to McCafe and get the same thing for less and maybe a BigMac as well. Only in this case there are a thousand other places with a thousand other types of food and beverage.

• Because it's good.

Thanked by 1perennate

@Liam said:
    Starbucks coffee is absolutely shit

Debatable.

• shovenose said: Debatable.

Compared to Carribou, Starbucks is shit.

Seriously, their northern lights mocha blender... yummie.

• 2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 2.0687 s, 1.0 GB/s

• @shovenose said:
    Debatable.

If you've never tried anything but Starbucks and, say, Folgers, then yes it would be debatable

• @Rallias said:
    Seriously, their northern lights mocha blender... yummie.

You don't drink coffee. You drink dessert. Carribou might have better desserts than Starbucks, but Starbucks has better coffee.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Starbucks has coffee?

• @Amitz said:

Starbucks has coffee?

For pretty cheap too. You can get 4 coffee's for the price of one of their desserts.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I think price of rm is cheap, easy to purchase products and mainly peoples can directly contact owner of ramnode, etc.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@sycotic said:
    For pretty cheap too. You can get 4 coffee's for the price of one of their desserts.

Lucky you, where I'm at anything other than a filter coffee costs twice as much at Starbucks as anywhere else.

• Look at all these Low End Coffee connoisseurs.

$2 VPS and $5 cups of coffee?

Thanked by 2Mark_R 0xdragon
    edited April 2014

@HostNun said:
    Look at all these Low End Coffee connoisseurs.

$2 VPS and $5 cups of coffee?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA This made me laugh really, really hard. If I spend half as much as I spend at Starbucks in a month, on a VPS, I'd have a premium fully managed cloud VPS replicated to a dozen datacenters around the globe with a /27 of IPs...

But yeah, their brewed coffee is mediocre, but you can't find a Caramel Flan Latte anywhere else and it's the best thing ever :)

• HostNun said: $2 VPS and $5 cups of coffee?

Heh. As a Brit in Canada I'm still amazed people drive miles for a cup of coffee at "Timmy's".

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

This thread should be changed to "What brand of coffee is RamNode most comparable to?"

Also, more on topic - I like their white chocolate mochas.

edited April 2014

@Nick_A said:
    This thread should be changed to "What brand of coffee is RamNode most comparable to?"

Also, more on topic - I like their white chocolate mochas.

Yep, white mochas are the second best thing to the caramel flan latte.