Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is RamNode so Popular ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why is RamNode so Popular ?

Comments

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I am honored and humbled by the compliments we have received in this thread. I especially appreciate all of our LET clients since you guys represent a significant chunk of our business. We really do mean the part on our home page where it says, "We know that our best assets are our loyal customers, so we strive to provide hosting they will rave about across the Internet."

Just to add a few comments:

@click4easy said:
    I don't think this is mainly due to SSD, because i believe there were other providers too offering ssd at a low price. I'm not sure though, please correct me if so.

There were a few others out there doing SSD stuff, but I don't think anyone was doing low priced, high performance SSD VPS at the time. I could be wrong, but I think that was the niche we somewhat started. I know others like URPad, BurstNET, etc quickly followed suit, but I think RamNode was at the beginning of the low price SSD VPS timeline.

@bpsRobert - Right: I recognized the value behind owning and operating our own hardware, network, etc. not too long after RamNode started. It is significantly easier to provide good service and support when there are fewer chains in the link between the customer and the server, so to speak. I'm also somewhat of a control freak :) You mentioned caring about our reputation - that is definitely a driving factor in how we conduct our business. Sure, we (I personally) have made mistakes, but maintaining a good reputation is always at the forefront of my mind.

sleddog said: And when it does go down, there are people working at it and communicating with clients.

Yeah, downtime probably bothers me more than it bothers the vast majority of our clients :)

@Incero said:
    Nick was one of the first to offer pure SSD at an affordable price, he has a good marketing plan, seo, etc, people love his coupons. He's also active on forums like these and on twitter, which helps with his reputation and exposure. I think he's done an amazing job of growing an awesome service. Being one of the first into a market gives you an advantage in a now becoming swamped market. He will need to continue to improve his service and add to his offerings to keep ahead of the pack, because now there are many services that want to lure away his client base.

Thanks Gordon. It is interesting how some people love coupons and some people hate them. It has worked well for us. As I said above, I do agree that we were somewhat of a "first mover" in that particular niche. We are constantly looking for ways to improve and keeping an eye on the horizon.

Infinity580 said: @Cakey As Nick sad one time: "most people dont even use coupons"

Actually I probably said the opposite :) Most people do use them and it's often a sign of fraud when people don't.

Anyway, thanks again everyone! I appreciate you all. God has blessed the labor of my hands in this business.

Thanked by 2mpkossen Mitsuhashi
  • For me, I want to spend the least amount of time between signup and deployment of programs onto the VPS, and minimal supervision afterwards. Ramnode fits the bill... I half half a dozen nodes with them. I'd say there's 3 or 4 Premier League providers here on this forum and this would be one of them.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

God helps those that help themselves :)
    Many people understimate or over estimate the importance of marketing, i.e. a lot of marketing for bad products or no marketing for good products, you did a good balance, that is really hard to get right.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • gracagraca Member

obviously they good, too many people said about that already,

I really hope their KVM package can be lower to match with their openVZ price,

and hopefully this is not just another way of marketing

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

I think the secret sauce is good PR.

There are a number of very knowledgeable hosts on this forum who are capable of turning out very performant containers, but one way or another they end up shooting themselves in the foot, getting negative pr here and on other forums. Ramnode very rarely has this sort of problem, which I suspect is down to the way Nick and the team conduct themselves, and they way their
    support policy is structured.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • According to me these are the key reasons for RN success..

very reliable - great uptime
    great performance
    quick and knowledgeble support
    value for money - worth every penny you spend!

Long live RamNode!

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • I'm proud to be a ram noder. The only problem i have with them is my vps get's shut down whenever there is some extra load

I don't know why but at times it happens. I only host 10 cpanel accounts on 1gb box. Whenever there is extended cpu usage, my vps is down. I'll be happy if they can simply re-start it.

I'll be glad @Nick_A can look at this. Please be so kind to provide me a solution whether to upgrade my vps or....

• @click4easy said:
    I'm proud to be a ram noder. The only problem i have with them is my vps get's shut down whenever there is some extra load

I don't know why but at times it happens. I only host 10 cpanel accounts on 1gb box. Whenever there is extended cpu usage, my vps is down. I'll be happy if they can simply re-start it.

I'll be glad Nick_A can look at this. Please be so kind to provide me a solution whether to upgrade my vps or....

That's one of the downsides of RamNode, their marketing is somehow missleading, as you basically can get the same cpu power from a 15$/year vps from them as you can with their highest plans. They offer you more cpu cores on the higher plans so you could peak higher, but the load mustn't be over 0.9 for a longer period of time, meaning you can use a little less than 1 core for a longer time, no matter which plan you're on.
    Maybe you should get two of the lowest priced vps from them, so you could theoretically use double the cpu power and load balance them.
    And for projects with a lot of cpu usage for a longer period of time, check iwstack.com, their vcpus are capped at 2GHz and their 4vcore plan is weaker than the 4vcore plan at RamNode (unixbench 2400 compared to unixbench 3000), but you can use more of the ressources for a long period of time.
    I think RamNode still act on a case-by-case basis, but they're not happy to see you consume more ressources than you agreed to by following their AUP, I already received two CPU load tickets, both didn't cause any service interruption for me, but I also responded very fast and tried to solve the issues.

We take into account which plan you're on. We're more lenient on larger plans.

Also that may not be related to @click4easy 's problem. OpenVZ does like to kill stuff.

• I haven't had any issues with the boxes I have at RamNode. Support is fast, the boxes are fast and the prices are good. It's also nice that they have DDoS protection in all their locations too.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • LeeLee Veteran

Ramnode's marketing is superior to it's product, which only a few other providers can also claim.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Its not the product or the service. Everybody uses the same tools and nobody does anything radical or complicated.

Thus its all about marketing.

Its also very simple to succeed in this business. Imitate and copy the best.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Jupiter said: Its not the product or the service. Everybody uses the same tools and nobody does anything radical or complicated.

Thus its all about marketing.

??

• Not really. There's a lot of automation involved that makes life easier and better pricing possible, but ultimately these hosting companies need to understand good customer relations, marketing, forward planning, contingencies... not to mention an understanding of 'how things work' in the technical aspect.

If it were so easy then you could just throw up racks of servers and automate away.

• @Jupiter said:
    Its not the product or the service. Everybody uses the same tools and nobody does anything radical or complicated.

This couldn't possibly be any further from reality. Owning a saw doesn't make you a carpenter.

Thanked by 1Mitsuhashi
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2014

@Nick_A said:
    We take into account which plan you're on. We're more lenient on larger plans.

And this is the problem: "More lenient". What exactly does that mean? How long do you tolerate a busy site during a sudden peak? 2 hours? One day? Or just 20 minutes? Do not get me wrong: I have several services with RamNode and I am very happy with them in every aspect. And I understand the need to set a mark for everyone to know.

But I have never moved my really important projects to you because I never knew exactly WHEN your AUP will "terminate" me in case on of my sites gets "reddit'ed" again. See, I once asked Prometeus whether I am really allowed to use my allocated 4 cores in case that a site gets famous for some days. The answer (analogously): "Your plan offers 4 cores, make good usage out of them. Just let us know when you peak again so we can keep an eye on things". And indeed - They allowed me to use around 3 cores for several days problem-free when one of my sites was in the news.

I am sure that you, Nick_A, might be as supportive as Prometeus was and is. But that is not really good communicated. My first thought when reading your AUP was: "Wait! Not more than 0.9 core for an extended period of time? What do I need a 4 core plan for then? And what is an extended period of time?".

However, you offer a real good service and an attractive price. I do not complain. But this "0.9 of a core"-rule will always keep me away from moving e.g. my cPanel server to you.

To be clear, no one is "terminated" for using a few cores. People are sent tickets if they are causing problems for others or if the load has been high for several hours. If it's really a problem, we reboot/shutdown and suspend in worse case scenario (no response from clients, very high load). We evaluate each instance on a case by case basis and are happy to work with you if you are concerned. Having a busy website has never resulted in someone being spontaneously terminated from our network.

Thanked by 2Amitz sirmbhe
  • WhoaWhoa Member

I have 150+ days of uptime on my two VPS with them (my nameservers, of course)

Very stable service.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • great service great offer too...

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • Tenshi_420Tenshi_420 Member
    edited April 2014

I've grown to distrust allot, if not 99% of VPS companies. The only one to deliver Speed, performance, amazing disks speeds (raids?! Weeeee--- like SSD on steriods).

I've used ramnode on compiling and testing and other stuff. They deliver when needed at random times.

I recommend it. Just Don't abuse the service.

• sc754sc754 Member

I used to be more of a fan, but my KVM with them keeps going down. Not even sure if it's resolved yet ;(

• @sc754 said:
    I used to be more of a fan, but my KVM with them keeps going down. Not even sure if it's resolved yet ;(

Are you by any chance on this node NLCKVME5-2?

• sc754sc754 Member

@george said:
    Are you by any chance on this node NLCKVME5-2?

I think so, it keeps panicing and going down lol

• georgegeorge Member
    edited April 2014

@sc754 said:
    I think so, it keeps panicing and going down lol

I could be wrong though, but if you ask them politely to move you to a different node you won't be facing those issues anymore (unless it's full already).

NLCKVME5-1 (Mar 2014) - http://status.ramnode.com/927372/2014/03

NLCKVME5-2 (Mar 2014) - http://status.ramnode.com/1058948/2014/03

Thanked by 1Tenshi_420
  • I got a VPS from Ramnode today, awesome speeds and no problems so far! @Nick_a Awesome service!

Thanked by 1Nick_A

sc754 said: I think so, it keeps panicing and going down lol

You would have received at least one email about the issue by now if you're on that node. We are working to move everyone to a new node so we can take this one fully apart. It's certainly a head-scratcher.

Thanked by 1Tenshi_420
  • @Nick_A said:
    It's certainly a head-scratcher

I hate those ones. I feel your pain.

• He caters to a different client base. His services are cheap and stable. He's balanced marketing with growth and people seem to like it. Also he may have different return profiles. WE offered pure ssd hosting years ago but only marketed it to high end customers and we focused on getting 100 customers who paid us for custom plans rather than the thousands that RamNode probably has paying them a few bucks.

This is how Linode and Digital Ocean also got so big ...

• @ricardo said:
    Not really. There's a lot of automation involved that makes life easier and better pricing possible, but ultimately these hosting companies need to understand good customer relations, marketing, forward planning, contingencies... not to mention an understanding of 'how things work' in the technical aspect.

If it were so easy then you could just throw up racks of servers and automate away.

Plenty of companies "automate away" and go for volume. Digital Ocean is one of those and they have been very successful.

In fact, isn't that part of the point of cloud? The issue of this business is that as automation becomes integrated, people will invest in it and more its automated and the infrastructure is laid down, it is precisely this automation that will separate the winners from losers.

Automation also keeps your costs low so you can afford to have razor thin margins and offer steep discounts.