Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Behold the Wable! - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Behold the Wable!

Comments

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

yywudi said: PPP was not supported in kernel...

PPP is supported in the kernel and is automatically enabled on VPS provisioning.

• yywudiyywudi Member
    edited June 2014

@ryanarp said:

ye it's fixed now.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2014

So it wasn't worth opening a thread, but worth adding to this one. I've been using Wable for a bit now and I'd like to say that I've got some opinions about the service. Let me go ahead and get the full disclosure out of the way first.

When I saw RamNode's incredible network in Dallas, I knew I liked Incero. Following them for a bit, I knew that I wanted to expand Catalyst to Dallas and I've had a large respect for Gordon and his operation. He worked with us well, listened to our honest concerns even when I didn't agree with him, and he always came up with a solution. As such, I am biased in Incero's favor, but with good reason. I like people who treat me right and run a damn good service, I won't apologize for that. To add to that, my best friend Ryan is part of the company now.

Wable is a service that satisfies VPS addicts like me. I spin up VPS all the time and cancel them shortly after. Why? Maybe I have an idea for a project that sounds AWESOME, and then doesn't tomorrow. Maybe I want a temporary development environment for a few days.

Wable has perfected the art of shifting things around. I can move my resources around as needed, spin up another VM, etc. The idea of purchasing resources instead of a VPS is not new, but the simplicity of their implementation is significant.

What I also notice about Wable is that there are no illusions. Constantly a new provider will pop up and offer a $3 product and provide you with the very best, nearly managed, support with 15 minute support ticket response time....until they sell too many of them and realize that the income of $75/m isn't exactly going to hire another support tech. Wable isn't going to hold your hand and roll out the red carpet for your 75 cents. That means that your experience will not deteriorate with the growth of their business and there's a lot to be said for that. That said, if you've got a legitimate issue, raise it and it'll be heard.

So while I know that I already have positive opinions of the people involved, I still think the product itself is incredible. I am currently paying for bundle #4 and it was an excellent choice.

Thanked by 2ryanarp Mark_R
  • SunnSunn Member

The wable, what is the significance of it?

• niceboyniceboy Veteran
    When I saw RamNode's incredible network in Dallas, I knew I liked Incero. 

When did Ramnode start dallas location!?

niceboy said: When did Ramnode start dallas location!?

It was their first location, migrated to Atlanta later.

• The only thing so far I can't accept, is the lack of a console access.

If you have trouble on ssh server, you'll have (almost) no chance to recover your data.

edited June 2014

Sunn said: The wable, what is the significance of it?

Well umm...they uhh.....host....VPS. What?

msg7086 said: If you have trouble on ssh server, you'll have (almost) no chance to recover your data.

Good point and @ryanarp feature request! But if there's one thing I know, open a ticket and say "I apologize for having to ask you to do this, but my ssh is dead, can you vzctl in and stop iptable and/or start ssh for me?" You're dealing with good people, they just don't take kindly to being treated like your hired servants for pennies.

Thanked by 1ryanarp

Jar said: feature request!

msg7086 said: lack of a console access.

This is already on our todo list at uservoice, currently with no ETA. If you have other feature requests you can vote for them on our user voice page. http://wable.uservoice.com/forums/245224-general

• @Jar said:
    my ssh is dead, can you vzctl in and stop iptable and/or start ssh for me?

Also @ryanarp

No what I met was not that simple. I had ~5 IP addresses assigned to a vps and bind ssh onto the main IP to prevent too much login attempts from various IP.

After a reboot the ssh didn't come up. Tried back and forth, reboot, add or remove some IP, no luck. Had to borrow a hand from their support and they kindly edited the sshd config.

What I found later, was that the main IP (Yes the main IP of the node) was not in the /etc/network/interface. I never touched that file so I guess something bad happened when the panel changed the IP settings for me.

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited June 2014

I wish they allowed the users to buy one plan multiple times. So I could buy $8 plan two times instead of upgrading to $24

Heartbreaker :(

@Incero, @Ryanarp - any solution?

• wychwych Member

Can you fix rDNS again please?

wych said: Can you fix rDNS again please?

I just set an rDNS record for my IP on Wable and it instantly showed up in several rDNS lookups. What bundle are you on?

ironhide said: I wish they allowed the users to buy one plan multiple times. So I could buy $8 plan two times instead of upgrading to $24

This is not possible, the resources scale with price. Bundle #3 is currently priced as a promo.

• alexhalexh Member

Jar said: Wable is a service that satisfies VPS addicts like me. I spin up VPS all the time and cancel them shortly after. Why? Maybe I have an idea for a project that sounds AWESOME, and then doesn't tomorrow. Maybe I want a temporary development environment for a few days.

I'm the exact same way, and that's why I love the cloud billing model. I have two pages of cancelled and eventually re-ordered services from RamNode. Seemingly, this is the downfall of WHMCS. Wable, DO, Vultr and the likes have the billing perfected for sure.

Having a solid development environment proves time and time again to be indispensable. Without it, real-world results are hard to capture, especially when doing optimization. It's nice to be able to test on the same platform that you very well may launch with too, but not have it cost you ~200% of what you originally intended to pay.

Thanked by 2ryanarp jar
  • the wable seems to be useless now.

i tried paying with CC other day now its saying its banned from account yet the staff keep closing ticket without responce. very professional.../NOT

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@ryanarp said:

Bundle #3, thanks for the fast ticket response and looking into it.

Thanked by 1ryanarp

@TarZZ92 said:
    the wable seems to be useless now.

i tried paying with CC other day now its saying its banned from account yet the staff keep closing ticket without responce. very professional.../NOT

If they gave you no options and no statements at all I will personally drive to Dallas and slap Ryan.

Is that accurate?

• Jar said: If they gave you no options and no statements at all I will personally drive to Dallas and slap Ryan.

Shortly after my comment i got a message from Ryan. although no apparent reason why this happened.

edited July 2014

@TarZZ92 said:
    Shortly after my comment i got a message from Ryan. although no apparent reason why this happened.

Glad to hear it :)

Don't know what happened but feel free to share. I still like to throw things at Ryan from time to time if you give me a good reason. I know where he sleeps.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    the wable seems to be useless now.

AUTO BOT tickets, are closed once sent. This is to reduce mass useless tickets. If you want to discuss, just reply and it's reopened. If we kept a ticket open for everyone that's banned from using CC we would never be able to work through the mess. I don't know why you're offended here (it's not our intention), but the ticket is quite clear that you are banned from using CC and must use PayPal instead. Our service is based on high levels of automation, this is required, to achieve low prices (75 cents).

edited July 2014

NYC is live. Thx.

66MS from NYC to London Datacenters;
    [root@NYC-g ~]# ping uk2.net

PING uk2.net (83.170.69.14) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=66.1 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=66.0 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=66.1 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=66.1 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=66.0 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=6 ttl=55 time=66.1 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=7 ttl=55 time=66.2 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=8 ttl=55 time=66.0 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=9 ttl=55 time=66.0 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=10 ttl=55 time=66.0 ms

64 bytes from uk2.net (83.170.69.14): icmp_seq=11 ttl=55 time=66.1 ms

^C
    --- uk2.net ping statistics ---

11 packets transmitted, 11 received, 0% packet loss, time 10113ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 66.053/66.128/66.219/0.314 ms

Good IO/network etc, 10gig ports in NYC.

[root@NYC-g ~]# sh bench.sh

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz

Number of cores : 8

CPU frequency : 2800.136 MHz

Total amount of ram : 16384 MB

Total amount of swap : 16384 MB

System uptime : 1 min,

Download speed from CacheFly: 71.3MB/s

Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 54.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 46.7MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 11.6MB/s

Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 9.00MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 31.8MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.75MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 30.5MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 23.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 74.9MB/s

I/O speed : 817 MB/s

• Ok, I just ordered one. :)

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited July 2014

Incero said: that you are banned from using CC and must use PayPal instead

and you have still yet to state exact reasons why this is. on top of that. using paypal only would cost you guys more.

• WhoaWhoa Member
    edited July 2014

TarZZ92 said: using paypal only would cost you guys more.

Also conspicuous by its absence is the ability to prepay more than a month at a time. Surely, that increases the cost of transaction fees.

And the bundles pricing seems a little counterintuitive ... $0.75/m for 1 VPS but $6/m for 2 VPS ?

• WHERE IS THE API?

• I am unable to change the date/time. I get the error:

date: cannot set date: Operation not permitted

It has been an hour since I reported it with a ticket. I'm waiting for a response. Hmmm... I have spinned several OpenVZ containers from few providers here and never encountered this issue. Oh well.

• rds100rds100 Member

@hdpixel you were able to change the date on an OpenVZ container? Really? When? Where?

Thanked by 3SpeedyKVM jar ryanarp

@TarZZ92 said:
    and you have still yet to state exact reasons why this is. on top of that. using paypal > only would cost you guys more.

We don't comment on our fraud prevention procedures.

@hdpixel said:
    I am unable to change the date/time. I get the error:

Symlink /etc/localtime. You can't set host node date from container unless they allow you to change it for everyone specifically, which they will not.

Thanked by 2SpeedyKVM ryanarp
    edited July 2014

@hdpixel said:
    I am unable to change the date/time. I get the error:

I'll clarify right now, we monitor our servers 24/7 and have 100% uptime, but you should only expect a reply to low bundle tickets in ~1 business day.

Your error is not an error, but an expected condition.