Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you get your hard drives? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you get your hard drives?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Daniel said: your beancounters are right, OpenVZ w/vSwap runs Java the best

.32 doesn't use beancounters. You're supposed to have everything set to unlimited otherwise it tries to run a hybrid setup and that just breaks things.

dmm3 had a vswap test box with us and had that exact issue until we unlimited everything minus physpages/swappages :)

Francisco

@taipres said: Are you in Chicago Francisco? ;)

Who knows, business is business and if you're offering to post their offers I can't see them saying no.

Short of some amazing woman changing my mind i'm done with my years of living in the US :)

I'm in Victoria, BC, Canada, I thought this was fully known :P

Francisco

• @Francisco I still call them beancounters, don't know why.

Java expects swap,

@Daniel said: @Francisco I still call them beancounters, don't know why.

Java expects swap,

On the few nodes we have that are still running .32 none of them are giving vswap, we simply give 2x their real RAM as a ghetto from of 'burstable'. No one has abused it yet at least.

Francisco

• In the latest .32 stable I've not actually had any issues, which is surprising

@Daniel said: In the latest .32 stable I've not actually had any issues, which is surprising

The latest dev builds have issues where it panic's on bootup :P I haven't tried the latest stable branch, our plan was to roll out a full node of 128MB's this round just for LET/IRC people/companies that wish to see how .32 runs and let them keep the VM's for a month.

Francisco

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Francisco said: how .32 runs and let them keep the VM's for a month.

sign me in! haha

• I would certainly say .32 stable is stable enough for a production environment, but it may have issues I haven't come across yet.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said: No one knows the VM counts Chris is doing but it's quite possible the reason he does dedicated and no burst is to stop OOMing, which makes sense.

Here is a big reason why we do it:

Dedicated ram is better overall as it keeps everything for the user in the physical ram of the machine
    Burst ram utilizes the hard drive to send and retrieve programs and is conventionally slower than dedicated ram

-Chris

@CVPS_Chris said: Burst ram utilizes the hard drive to send and retrieve programs and is conventionally slower than dedicated ram

news flash, linux does that anyways even with real RAM once your real RAM hits around 60% usage. There's multiple settings to make linux not do this, it just takes some tinkering to get it so.

We got plenty of boxes with users well into their burst and they're < 5MB into SWAP.

Francisco

• @CVPS_Chris said: Burst ram utilizes the hard drive to send and retrieve programs and is conventionally slower than dedicated ram

Huh? Not at all. Burst != conventional swap in any way, shape or form...

• Burst is stored in the RAM, if the node runs out of memory however, it is the first thing to be swapped

@Daniel said: Burst is stored in the RAM, if the node runs out of memory however, it is the first thing to be swapped

Does it even swap burst'd RAM? I assumed it'd just OOM it. Unless OVZ see's SWAP no different than real RAM. If that's the case that's really bad.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Does it even swap burst'd RAM?

IIRC, no.

• I always presumed processes in burst are the first to be swapped in a oom situation, ans vSwap works the same

@Daniel said: I always presumed processes in burst are the first to be swapped in a oom situation, ans vSwap works the same

OOM = the process dies, not 'hey lets move it to swap' :)

Francisco

• @francisco so when does OpenVZ do the actual swapping for burst.

@Daniel said: @francisco so when does OpenVZ do the actual swapping for burst.

It doesn't for burst as far as i know :S

Francisco

• vps6netvps6net Member

@taipres said: VPS6 just put together a nice machine

2x Xeon L5645 CPUs (24 HT Cores)
    72gb ECC-certified DDR3 RAM
    16x RAID60 10k SAS Disks

@miTgiB said: This is not Field of Dreams, build it and they will come. That is a single node.

Just for the record, there are several of those DL380 G7 "Supernodes" in Chicago and LA. We built 4 across both locations in April, and will probably deploy 6 or 7 more this coming month in Chi, LA, and Miami.

@FTNEthan said: Cool, so I assume you're using Quadranet as well :-) I go there a few times a week to rack and work on servers, its a great facility.

My favorite in LA is the Digital Realty building at 600 W 7th (just down the street from 530), I have to say the security and on-site staff there are some of the most accommodating I've come across. Typical Los Angeles for you. :)

Per the topic, we buy our drives from an independent supplier in Illinois. Lots of WD3000BKFG's and IBM/System X 300G's.

• @vps6net: per your announcement, I assume this was your first G7 node in LA? I was on Xen in LA in late MArch for a bit and it was definitely an X5460 CPU....

• laaevlaaev Member

@taipres said: I have urpad listed already but they apparently can't stand me so doubt they'll be sending me anymore offers, which is fine with me.

My personal views do not represent the company, but I honestly do not care about your little wanna-be LEB.

Nevertheless, I, along with many others on this forum had problems with you constantly trashing BuyVM, sick of hearing it every single day with your stupid meme's...

However I assume you and BuyVM have worked out things as you and BuyVM seem to be OK judging from your above conversations with Francisco. Glad to hear, we can live in peace now.

I just don't care about his jabs, nor anyone elses on here :)

He claims he has no beef with us which is great because we had none with him. All his jabs do is give @Aldryic some entertainment while he does some tickets.

Francisco

• vps6netvps6net Member

@quirkyquark said: @vps6net: per your announcement, I assume this was your first G7 node in LA? I was on Xen in LA in late March for a bit and it was definitely an X5460 CPU....

That's correct, the G7's were new in LA this month. Apologies if my post was misleading, I typically consider the Chicago DC to be our "home base" from whence the other locations gain their innovations. :-)

• FTNEthanFTNEthan Member
    edited May 2012

@vps6net -

600 W. I pass by it all the time. I'm guessing you are using CalPOP or Peer1 ;-).

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Have either of you been to DFT in Elkgrove village?

• laaevlaaev Member

@CVPS_Chris said: Have either of you been to DFT in Elkgrove village?

Singlehop?

• FTNEthanFTNEthan Member
    edited May 2012

@FTN_Kevin -

That's DuPont Fabros, Singlehop only has space there.

• vps6netvps6net Member

@FTNEthan said: @vps6net -

600 W. I pass by it all the time. I'm guessing you are using CalPOP or Peer1 ;-).

Telx :)

@CVPS_Chris said: Have either of you been to DFT in Elkgrove village?

Yes, though we've recently consolidated all of our networking and hardware operations to Cermak.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@FTN_Kevin said: but I honestly do not care about your little wanna-be LEB.

Lol I suppose if my sites goal were to be stuck in the 90's with 0 innovation, and barely any real info in posts then yeah I suppose my site is a LEB "wannabe". I take it you never actually been to my site though, otherwise you'd see they differ quite a bit. That same site sent your site traffic and probably sales...Either way your attitude is embarrassing, for yourself and for urpad, and to be completely frank if I were a consumer of yours i'd drop you so fast it'd make your head spin. You wouldn't be able to close my account fast enough in fact. As a consumer my #1 thing is support, and your social skills are completely lacking. That's the beautiful thing about the budget VPS market though, there are hundreds of companies like yours who do know how to act and will be successful because of it.

• laaevlaaev Member

@taipres said: Lol I suppose if my sites goal were to be stuck in the 90's with 0 innovation, and barely any real info in posts then yeah I suppose my site is a LEB "wannabe". I take it you never actually been to my site though, otherwise you'd see they differ quite a bit. That same site sent your site traffic and probably sales...Either way your attitude is embarrassing, for yourself and for urpad, and to be completely frank if I were a consumer of yours i'd drop you so fast it'd make your head spin. You wouldn't be able to close my account fast enough in fact. As a consumer my #1 thing is support, and your social skills are completely lacking. That's the beautiful thing about the budget VPS market though, there are hundreds of companies like yours who do know how to act and will be successful because of it.

LOL, those on this forum who have actually used our service can attest that our service is excellent, you on the other hand is just a pathetic kid bored in summer, without first hand experiencing jumping into conclusions about my company and BuyVM aswell...

Seriously cut it out with the assumptions, and don't tell me how I should be representing the company I work for, thanks!