Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where do you get your hard drives? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where do you get your hard drives?

Comments

• @HostBluff said: WAAAAYYYY Too Much information.

Stallion reference :P

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

I think about it, and with my super powers it magically appears on my door step

• LOLOLOL!

• So now we have @taipres' WAR ON HUMOR? As the meme you post so often says, "the Internet is serious business", so why are you still slinking around on a low-end forum like this? Perhaps it's time you stop gracing all us scum with your solemn presence.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: - Customer-Reply (2) - Awaiting Customer Reply (9) - On Hold (3) - In Progress (0) - Answered (34) - Resolved (5) - Closed (27470)

Actually you know what, don't make your own company forum, just keep directing all customers to here that way real providers that know the real meaning of customer support can get em. :)

• Yeah, because 5 out of 27k tickets is ignoring clients, for sure XD And what's even more amusing is that you think that proves your point :P

Anyways, I think you've done enough now to disprove evolution. Why don't you run along home to trying to drag people over to your "superior" site, you bore me :3

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Aldryic said: Yeah, because 5 out of 27k tickets is ignoring clients, for sure XD And what's even more amusing is that you think that proves your point :P

Anyways, I think you've done enough now to disprove evolution. Why don't you run along home to trying to drag people over to your "superior" site, you bore me :3

Lol the site you keep crying about trying to get on?

• @taipres said: The site you keep crying about trying to get on?

Nah, the site we wouldn't want to be listed at. That would be along the same lines as Naruto advertising for us... Just a very convenient example of pointing out how full of shit you are :3

Anyways, since all you can do is repost the same memes and not make any valid points, have fun speaking to the wind kiddo :3

• @Aldryic said: Nah, the site we wouldn't want to be listed at. That would be along the same lines as Naruto advertising for us... Just a very convenient example of pointing out how full of shit you are :3

Anyways, since all you can do is repost the same memes and not make any valid points, have fun speaking to the wind kiddo :3

You asked 2 times about getting on my site, don't lie :) and show me where I posted the same meme twice? lol thought so.

• @Aldryic said: Anyways, since all you can do is repost the same memes and not make any valid points, have fun speaking to the wind kiddo :3

• premisopremiso Member
    edited April 2012

• premisopremiso Member
    edited April 2012

lol Thanks quirkyquark

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Damian said: @Francisco @kujoe @mitgib: I know you guys have a whole pile of nodes. How often do you need to replace failed drives?

I think i've replaced maybe 3 - 4 this year?

Granted, we did some large builds like our new storage node as well as a fairly large build.

Francisco

@Aldryic said: @taipres said: the fact a few fanboys on here kiss up to you in hopes for a free VPS.

Frantech was the only brand that we ever 'donated' VM's to people and that stopped after every single one of them was used to flood people, etc. There's a few people on here that have asked us to donate them some but honestly, if we can't even keep up with our paid sales, how are we going to handle donated ones?

It's common knowledge that we don't donate VM's to anyone. Hell, even our own staffers have a designated KVM node for themselves and a fixed budget that their personal VM's have to reside within. When we were transitioning into full time BuyVM we did a company wide audit of all staffer VM's and found we had something like 48GB of RAM just in random staffer bullshit boxes. When Aldryic caught wind everyone got put on a diet and put aside in a simple 16G box we got kicking around.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Hell, even our own staffers have a designated KVM node for themselves and a fixed budget that their personal VM's have to reside within.

@Francisco said: When Aldryic caught wind everyone got put on a diet and put aside in a simple 16G box we got kicking around.

And it hurt PONY most, he buys more than that off me ;)

Simple or single?

@miTgiB said: Simple or single?

16GB RAM :P

And both, it's just a single, simple dual quad w/ 16G RAM and a RAID10.

Francisco

edited April 2012

@taipres said: - Customer-Reply (2) - Awaiting Customer Reply (9) - On Hold (3) - In Progress (0) - Answered (34) - Resolved (5) - Closed (27470)

We must really be ignoring our clients now:

Awaiting Reply (13) - Abuse (5) - In Progress (0) - Sales (3) - Answered (34) - Resolved (5) - Closed (25155)

hahaha.

• @Francisco said: When Aldryic caught wind everyone got put on a diet and put aside in a simple 16G box we got kicking around.

Somehow that surprises me, I guess because I picture Aldryic sitting around playing WOW all day while you do all the work, but what do I know. ;)

• @taipres said: Somehow that surprises me, I guess because I picture Aldryic sitting around playing WOW all day while you do all the work, but what do I know. ;)

I heard BuyVM plays Star Wars Online.

@taipres said: Somehow that surprises me, I guess because I picture Aldryic sitting around playing WOW all day while you do all the work, but what do I know. ;)

There isn't a whole lot of work around our parts since most things are automated these days. RDNS, IPV6, LAN IP's, all of our VPN stuff, etc, so usually we're lucky if we see 10 tickets a day to support.

Anthony really enjoys SWTOR but when we need to get something done he's the first to ALT+F4

@Aldryic plays LET.

/trolololol

Francisco

• @CVPS_Chris said: We must really be ignoring our clients now:

Awaiting Reply (13) - Abuse (5) - In Progress (0) - Sales (3) - Answered (34) - Resolved (5) - Closed (25155)

hahaha.

Are you too on auto mode like Francisco? :) One would think with your companies size you'd have a lot of work to do daily? The only thing i've heard bad about your company is iffy I/O but i'm sure you've probably addressed that, 2GB ram is nothing to laugh at, especially since no other providers if offering that.

@taipres said: especially since no other providers if offering that.

UP2VPS is and there's lots of providers that do 1G/1G. it's just how you word things remember. Chicago's offer is 2G, no burst. You can hit up urpad which is doing 1G/1.5G for $5.99. Hell, we do 1G/1G for $12.95/m and we have plenty of people that run in the burst almost all the time.

The only difference is that Chris is 'giving the RAM guaranteed', but it's still 2.6.18 RAM allocating so it's in his favour on java and all the other silly applications.

Francisco

@taipres said: Are you too on auto mode like Francisco? :) One would think with your companies size you'd have a lot of work to do daily?

Maybe we both are just ticket guru's or everything is setup so good customers dont have to submit ;-)

@taipres said: Are you too on auto mode like Francisco? :)

Anthony refuses to offer a feature that we can't automate in some way. When we started getting TUN/TAP requests Anthony said flat out 'we need this automated now, im not doing tons of tickets a day just to click a button. Get it coded, now.' - and off I went :P

Our filtered IP's is the only feature right now that isn't an auto assignment and that's because i'd have to change too much in stallion. Stallion 2 will support that thankfully :)

Francisco

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited April 2012

@Francisco said: UP2VPS is and there's lots of providers that do 1G/1G. it's just how you word things remember. Chicago's offer is 2G, no burst. You can hit up urpad which is doing 1G/1.5G for $5.99. Hell, we do 1G/1G for $12.95/m and we have plenty of people that run in the burst almost all the time.

The only difference is that Chris is 'giving the RAM guaranteed', but it's still 2.6.18 RAM allocating so it's in his favour on java and all the other silly applications.

Francisco

Thanks for recommending UP2VPS I just emailed them. And burst ram IMHO is completely useless and silly. Linux considers all ram not used as wasted so puts most of it in cache anyway, so burst implies it goes above a certain threshold and comes down, but that's not the case, allocated mem can't be freed, short of process termination. I know technically it's freed but all panels i've seen don't show it as such, so I guess it determines how host handles it. OpenVZ is pretty crazy and unpredictable on mem too, don't think one can even really run java under OpenVZ without a ton of ram. Not needed for Xen though. So that 1G/1G stuff definitely matters :P

@taipres said: Thanks for recommending UP2VPS I just emailed them. And burst ram IMHO is completely useless and silly

I'm not recommending them, they got their problems with communication but i'm hoping they improved it. I'll throw a thumbs up to urpad.

No one knows the VM counts Chris is doing but it's quite possible the reason he does dedicated and no burst is to stop OOMing, which makes sense.

Francisco

• If your beancounters are right, OpenVZ w/vSwap runs Java the best

• @Francisco said: I'll throw a thumbs up to urpad.

I have urpad listed already but they apparently can't stand me so doubt they'll be sending me anymore offers, which is fine with me. They did get a pretty good rating on my site though. Also I think ChicagoVPS probably has one of the better setups here, because Chicago is know for having the best networks/datacenters in the US. Are you in Chicago Francisco? ;)